Large Scale Central

Contemplating Live Steam

A bit new here, even though my profile says I’ve been a member since 2008. Some of you may know me as Mike Flea over on mylargescale .com, and as I’ve said on that same thread there, I’m looking forward to learning the ropes of live steam, and have some funds saved for one of the beginner locos.

I’ve been researching the Regners, Roundhouse Sammie, and a couple of the Accucraft, and unfortunately I can’t get on to that forum anymore to retrieve my notes. The page comes up for a second or 2, and then goes blank. I even tried accessing the site through my ipad and iphone, and I can get on the site as a guest, but I can’t log in, possibly because it shows I’m already logged in from my desktop. If anyone here can contact an Admin over there, maybe he can log me out, and I’ll try to get back on in a couple days. Anyway, enough of that, and sorry to stray.

On my layout, it’s fairly flat, with 4 sidings at one end of the lazy dog bone, so it would be nice to have a loco with the ability to reverse.

On the Regner Easy Line, the Lumberjack shows it as a kit, are all of the Regner’s in kit form, or only as specified? The Vincent and Chaloner don’t have the word kit next to their title. The Vincent, with the flywheel, may not work for my application, and I’m still looking for an answer on the Lumberjack, and although I have excellent brazing skills, I’m not sure I want to build my first loco.

I’ve watched some youtube videos of the Sammie, and heard lots of good about it, but unless it can be changed or rigged to run in reverse by radio, it’s not much good to me.

On the Accucraft, I thought about the Dora, and the Plantation engine. I’m leaning towards the Plantation engine, but I’m wondering if I should pick up the Dora for now. Learn to run it, start up, and cool down. Then when I’ve mastered it, I can step up to the Plantation. One question I have on the Accucraft. I went to their website, and it shows all the Ruby’s, and the Forney’s. Do they still produce them, and are they still available?

I think you will find a lot of the answers you are looking for here http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/ with regards to Roundhouse products. They are very highly regarded over here in the UK. After sales service second to none and their products run right straight from the box.

Sammie is a “slip eccentric” type loco so will not be suitable for R/C. Others come ready installed with R/C or with adaptations to allow fitment of your own R/C installations. Check on their site for current kit/rtr offerings and lots of explanations.

Clever modular kit construction allows them to be bought in affordable units to be built up as budgets allow. Their kits’ designs means your “braising” skills will not be required. Send them an e-mail with your questions. $/£ exchange rate means they will be even more affordable right now.

Just a happy user of theirs and a number of Accucraft UK & US products.

Hey Mike. Im not sure why you are having issues with mylargescale. Worst case create a new account.

I know I already answered most of your questions on mylargescale to answer the ones here for you. Out of the current Regner Easy Line engines, the Lumberjack is the only one that comes in kit form. The Climax also did but it is not produced anymore. At one the Lumberjack also came prebuilt. If you go with the Lumberjack Im sure you can get The Train Department to put it together for you for a fee. The pre-built one always costed a tad more. I personally would avoid a kit as a first live steam. The Lumberjack is a great engine and one of my favorite but building the kit, I had found a few minor flaws, easy to fix but not as easy for a first time steamer or someone not good with the type of stuff.

The biggest thing is what style engines do you like or prefer. American or UK pro-typical vs freelance? Also do you have a limit on price? Out of the ones you mentioned I think the Plantation is your best bet. According to Accucraft site they are taking pre-orders on Ruby and Forney. The plantations are currently running a special. I would call The Train Department and see. He can get the same. Based off of what you said on mylargescale and here, I think the Plantation is your best bet unless you are willing to pay more money. That will open your options up. The Dora is fun but adding RC might be a tad more difficult. The Sammie has no way to add RC to the forward/reverse. That is out. If you go to the next level in Roundhouse then you can add RC easier although your very limited in American style engines.

The biggest thing is what style appeals to you and how much you willing to spend? That will help narrow it down.

I built my friend’s Lumberjack from the kit. Its pretty much a screwdriver kit most of the time, no soldering needed. The Roundhouse kits need the brass body work folded and soldered together, I did that with a cheap pencil butane torch from Harbor Freight tools. If you wanted a Lumberjack but are unable to built it, I can build it up for you, wouldnt even charge you as long as you covered the shipping back to you. Reynauld’s Euro Imports has a few of the other Easy Line engines in stock that are now out of production if there was another model in that line that would have worked for you. Obviously if you want RC of both throttle and direction, it limits your choices. The Accucrafts are not nearly as easy to RC as the Roundhouse models(Classic series). Roundhouse builds thier models with RC in mind, Accucraft is hit and miss. Seen pics of a Plantation torn to bits as the owner was trying to fit all the RC equipment within the engine and not have the reciever batteries in a trailing car. I have seen the UK style engines bashed into something more American looking back before Accucraft came on the scene. Espicaly the Lady Anne and Billy engine. Both can be had for around 1K in kit form or $1300 ready to run. Redetailed with some goodies from Trackside Details ect and you can get one to pass for an American engine in the garden. Search google pics for Americanized Roundhouse models. Also send Jason Kovac at the Train Deparment an email, many times he has lines on other second hand models that are not shown on his website. Let me know what you can spend and what you want from the model and see what he can come up with. Just to show off a bit and let you see a cute little UK tank engine, here is my Merlin Mayflower and Roundhouse Argyll. Mike

Hi Mike
The Regner Lumberjack is available as a kit (no soldering required, already painted) or ready to go. The difference is quite small, about 100 USD.
For good low speed control a geared locomotive is really preferable. Lumberjack, the Regner Chaloner and the Accucraft Dora are all geared and radio controllable. They seem ideal as first steam locos.

José Morais
Headmaster of the Lapa Furada railroad

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

Max, I’m doing a bit more research on the Billy and Katy engines, these two look closer to an American style Porter.

Shawn, I’m going to get an email off to Jason, I have some questions on the different engines, I would prefer new, but I would also like to keep the budget under a grand, but I’ll see what I get back from Uncle Sam. I like the American style engines, but also like the odd freelance engines as well. I prefer a geared loco, but as I mentioned on the other forum, my layout has a 1" slope in 24’, so a standard drive wouldn’t be out of the question.

Part of the problem on the other forum, is the page won’t stay up. So I can’t log off, or even create another account.

Mike, those are nice engines, and as mentioned above, I’m liking the Billy and Katy.

Jose, thanks for the info, and I’ve chatted with a couple guys that have RC Dora’s, and they say it’s difficult, but possible, and my other hobby is RC crawlers and shortcourse, so I’m experienced with RC.

I have one other question for you guys. If you look up my other thread on mylargescale, “Modeling in Foamboard”, I made a couple foamboard mountains at one end of the layout. I wonder if I’ll have a problem with the ceilings melting? They’re built with 2" pink foamboard.

a couple foamboard mountains at one end of the layout. I wonder if I’ll have a problem with the ceilings melting? They’re built with 2" pink foamboard.

Only if your engine gets stuck and sits in the mountain for a while with the burner on. As long as it is moving, it should be fine.

P.S. I wrote that and then thought “would I do that” and the answer is NO. Murphy’s Law says the loco(s) will get stuck, just as the power fails and the lights go out [as happened to me with a Mamod that I was running indoors while bored waiting for Hurricane Gloria to pass. HG arrived just as the loco stopped in my tunnel.]

A wooden strip in the roof of the tunnel will protect the foamboard, if you can’t get rid of it.

Reynauld’s Euro Imports has a few of the other Easy Line engines in stock that are now out of production if there was another model in that line that would have worked for you.

Err, I did ask them about that and they had no stock of any Regner locos. I’ve been getting mine from the UK at 25% less due to Brexit. The UK firm has a Chaloner in stock and that’s about it for the Easy Line. http://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/

The Regners dried up fast then once the discontinued most of the easy line. I would put line the tunnel roof with a thin tin strip to protect it from the heat coming up the chimney. Only real threat is as discussed, an engine stalls or derails inside the tunnel. Just passing thru wont be a problem. Mike

Pete, thanks for the tip, I happened to look up Reynauld’s and not only found some engines on their site, but also found out they are located about 20 miles southwest of me. I’m off next Friday, I’ll take a run over to their store.

Upon closer inspection on their site, it appears you may be right about them not having any steamers in stock. Eh, it’ll give me an excuse to take a drive.

I’ve got a 1/29 Aristocraft PCC trolley, numbered and custom painted Wrigley Field edition. Now that the cubs won the World Series, I wonder if it’s worth more than I bought it for, lol

it appears you may be right about them not having any steamers in stock.

I actually emailed them - I’d love a “Victoria” ! They confessed to having none (of any kind) in stock.

Graham at gardenrailways.co.uk says the order fulfillment is sporadic. Since Herr Regner died they have cut back and deliver smaller quantities.

(P.S. I wasn’t kidding about the 25%. The VAT comes off the £780 for export so it costs you £650, or $791 today. Shipping is another $150 or so. Try to find a Chaloner for $940 around here.)

When I was looking at getting my Merlin, Jay Kovac messaged me that he had a Victoria for sale if I was interested. I do not know if he took it to Diamond head to sell, but you might message him to see if he still has it. Mike

That’s the one issue with Roundhouse and Rener. Stock is usually low and you need to pre-order. It took me a while to get the Lumberjack and the RH Sammie. If you get lucky, you can find one in stock from time to time. Worst case have Jay from the Train Department order one. That is one thing nice about Accucraft, they tend to be easier to get.

I think the Plantation might be the best bet if you cant get the Lumberjack. If you are familiar with RC you should have no issues with the plantation. I fit everything in my Forney with no problems.

By the way I made a post on MLS stating that you were having issues getting on the site. Hopefully someone will reach out.

Shawn Viggiano said:

By the way I made a post on MLS stating that you were having issues getting on the site. Hopefully someone will reach out.

Thanks Shawn.

I sent an email out to Jason yesterday, and in it I said I had gone to Accucraft’s website, and they still show the Ruby’s and Forney’s, and was wondering if they were still available, and if so, pricing. I know he’s at DH now, so hopefully I’ll hear from him by next weekend.

A couple years ago when I first starting contemplating (dreaming, lol), I really liked the look of the Forney, especially because it looked like it had a lot of room for RC, and batteries, as opposed to linking the batteries in a trailing car. And, back then they were priced around $7-800.

Mike Wlez said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Thanks Shawn.

I sent an email out to Jason yesterday, and in it I said I had gone to Accucraft’s website, and they still show the Ruby’s and Forney’s, and was wondering if they were still available, and if so, pricing. I know he’s at DH now, so hopefully I’ll hear from him by next weekend.

A couple years ago when I first starting contemplating (dreaming, lol), I really liked the look of the Forney, especially because it looked like it had a lot of room for RC, and batteries, as opposed to linking the batteries in a trailing car. And, back then they were priced around $7-800.

Jay should be back by tomorrow. The Forney is a nice one, although the one disadvantage I found with it, its not a strong puller. Maybe 5 or so cars. Im not sure how well the plantation pulls but I believe its the same Cylinders. But the prototype was never meant to pull a lot.

Thats probably about right on cars they pull. Both would have been tiny prototypes, not much bigger than a quad cab Dually pickup truck. Also depends on the car type. If your pulling 2 axle peat/slate/disconnet log buggies, you can pull more than larger 4 axle freight or passenger coaches. I cant help ya on why MLS isnt coming up for you. I have never had issues with it like that. Mike

Ya, I don’t know why either, but I made some headway today.

I was able to get to the homepage, scrolled down to the bottom, and composed and sent a letter to the Admin. Now whether it goes through, will remain to be seen. Also, while I was on that “contact” page, I noticed I was still logged in, so after I sent the email, the page went blank again, but I was able to get back on the homepage, pulled up another “contact” page, and logged out. I will stay logged out until I hear from an Admin, and tomorrow I’ll try going back as a guest. Maybe my account is bugged, and if it is, I may have to create another account.

The Accucraft Forney is basically a modified Ruby, and in the videos I’ve watched, neither engine has pulled more than 5 full size or 10 4 wheel cars, so that would be about right. My layout sits right next to the Vegetable garden, so as plants are harvested, as the weight in the gondolas increases, I’ll know I’ll have to run shorter trains. The gondolas are HLW longs, and there are 3, and I think I cut the top off of a Bachmann stock car.

Ultimately, I would like to get a gear drive loco, I think the trains look more realistic running at a slower pace, and I feel that for what I’m using it for they would work better toting a heavier load.

Many of the second hand engines get sold before you ever see them posted online. Once Jay gets home, hopefully he can help out. Like I posted, if you really want a Lumberjack but do not want to build it, or if you get stuck while building it, I will gladly help out including building the whole engine if need be without charge other than shipping. RC and a load do wonders to tame a side rod engine. Rubys with no train are jack rabbits. But add a nice load on the draw bar and they are muh more controlable. Just remember you do not have brakes, so close the throttle before any tight curves and while decending a grade. I can “coast” down one whole side of my railway with the throttle opened just enough to not cause backpressure on the cylinders. As I come thru the curve around the tree and the slack goes out of the train, I can ease into the throttle as I climb upgrade and will be at nearly full throttle when I crest the grade thru the S curve. Its really run once you learn your engine. Even 2 of the same model from the same builder will have differences in the way they run. The Lumberjack takes about 15 boiler fills to run in the drive train, so the first runs will be kind of disappointing. But not to worry, he gets better with use. The Konrad, Vincent, Willi and simliar models do even better on hills, they have 6:1 gearing, Lumberjack is only 2:1. I will say the kit is pretty easy to built, I still have the instructions sheet from when I built my friends. Take your time and enjoy the process, then you will be comfortable taking it all apart if something needs tended to in the future. Anxious to see what you end up with. Mike

Received an answer from Jason today, may have another option, have to think about it.

Also called Reynaulds this morning, and he said Regners would be available in April, I’m still going to stop by, maybe see what he can get.