Large Scale Central

Wondering what others have done

Hi Folks,

I’m looking to add the first buildings to my layout this spring and for the few that I’ve built and purchased, I want to add some exterior lighting. I like the looks of the industrial style fixtures as seen in the photo below. However, these things are outrageously expensive to buy from what I’ve seen. I’m looking to see what others have done to scratch build them or is there a cheap source?. (looking mainly at the lamp reflector/shade-not so much bendy tube)

Just wondering

Mike

You can make your own, go to www.trainelectronics.com there are many articles about LED, 101 through 104. Read them all and then just find the parts for the fictures you you want to make. I have learned a lot form dave bodner regarding LED’s.

As for the shade, at the craft store they sell clear suction cups, in many different sizes. With a coat of paint, some brass tube, and a small LED, you could make something similar.

Thanks for the reply Colin,

A lot of great advice from Dave’s website, that’s for sure. I’ve been there many times. I’m specifically looking to make the hardware of the light fixtures themselves. The light housing/reflector and a mounting bracket to attach them to buildings. I’ve seen them for sale at many sights but way too expensive. ($10 plus per light fixture). I’m wondering if anyone has scratch built the fixtures out of bottle caps, brass, vac-formed, molded, etc.

Cheers Mike

David!

Suction cup! - That’s it! - I didn’t know why It didn’t come into my brain before. Perfect Shape. Those and brass tubing are a perfect solution.

Cheers

Mike

EDIT - BTW, are you getting this slushy/rain/snow in Pittsburgh tonight? - horrible here in Niagara.

Mike,

I cast mine with two-part plastic resin in a silicone rubber mold. Here is the mold with a couple of reject castings.

Here are a few completed and painted castings with LEDs installed.

Here they are installed in one of my industrial buildings.

These were mounted to the rafters, but they can also be mounted to a piece of bent tubing for wall mounting.

Bob

Like Bob I made a mold out of the reflector of a mini mag light that I will use for a shade. It looks more like the shade from a larger metal halide or mercury vapor lamp. I was going to do just as Bob did. On my 2016 MIK build I used the bolt caps that go on the end of a bolt to protect people from getting scratched. I took the metal part out and drilled them.

Very Nice Bob,

That’s amazing

One day I would like to be able to mold my own parts like you did here. One of my other hobbies is restoring antique radios. One issue I always face is finding and repairing original knobs and push buttons. I would love to learn how to mold replacements out of resin.

One day…

Mike

Wow again - cool Devon.

Ok Guys

So many great responses. Can I shift the focus of the thread for a bit?

Any websites/resources that I could use to learn how to make my own molds like you guys did?

Mike,

I bought a resin casting kit from Mico-Mark and just followed the instructions. Here is the link to their instructional video.

link

Bob

Was just looking at that Kit.

I’ll think I’ll give it a try

Cheers

Mike

Mike Lafferty said:

Thanks for the reply Colin,

A lot of great advice from Dave’s website, that’s for sure. I’ve been there many times. I’m specifically looking to make the hardware of the light fixtures themselves. The light housing/reflector and a mounting bracket to attach them to buildings. I’ve seen them for sale at many sights but way too expensive. ($10 plus per light fixture). I’m wondering if anyone has scratch built the fixtures out of bottle caps, brass, vac-formed, molded, etc.

Cheers Mike

I don’t know if Phil still sells them or not, but he shows them on his web site.

They are nice looking and made from brass. They are 2 for $10. There are 3 different ones.

Tom

YouTube everything you will ever want to know about casting. I started with the micromark kit also. Great way to learn but I personally have gravitated to Alumilite. But I am still a novice. Others on here know way more than me. Resin casting is actually quite easy. Get the micro mark kit and learn to do so.e basic stuff. Then learn about the different rubbers and resins and what they do and why. Another application of the casting is low melt white metals.

Simple industrial lights, no casting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-96_vWyjqg&index=8&list=WL

-Kevin.

dieseldude . said:

Simple industrial lights, no casting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-96_vWyjqg&index=8&list=WL

-Kevin.

Kevin,

This tip made my day. That is just perfect. Those lights are great cheap and easy. Way better than anything I came up with. Thanks. Off to hobby lobby

Glad to help.

-Kevin.

Yes, thanks for the help. This seems to be the way to go.

Mike