Large Scale Central

Modeling a snow slide

OK so I have decided to make a snow shed and Dan pointed out that a snow shed should have sheded (is that a word) snow. I was not planning on modeling winter scenes on the layout. But a snow slide remnant in late spring could be doable. How would one model wet compact dense snow that was the result of a melting snow slide. It needs to be dirty and laden with rock and limbs. Above all it can’t look fluffy. Ideas?

Edited to include photos of what I have envisioned

I am thinking more like the first one than the second one. With only the densest of drifts remaining. But both have that compact snow with receding snow line look.

Great stuff

-Kevin.

How much snow would a snow shed shed if a snow shed would shed snow?

Devon, you do know that the snow sheds are in place all year round. So it doesn’t have to have snow on it.

A snow shed with no snow to shed, well, it’s just a shed. Devon specifically stated he was building a snow shed so obviously there must be some snow to shed. Lol

David Maynard said:

Devon, you do know that the snow sheds are in place all year round. So it doesn’t have to have snow on it.

No David, I think you’re (did you see that Joe) wrong I am pretty sure the track crew goes out each spring and dismantles them and brings them in for summer and then puts them out again each fall.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I will default to just rock and debris if I run out of time or can’t figure out the snow thing. But I kinda have to agree with Dan that snow on a snow shed only seem right. But I definitely don’t want to model a winter scene. So I was thinking if I could model that high mountain late May stubborn remnant of snow that won’t give up, you know the part of the slide that was 12 feet deep but now is only 3 feet deep, the only piece of snow left in a hundred mile radius, then that would be cool. But the problem is that type of snow has a very unique look. The more I am challenged by the more I want to do it. And I might have a way.

It need to look hard packed, basically white ice with smooth edges and and areas close to the shed roof that have melted a bit faster than the snow above. It will need to have picked up rock and debris so that also has to be there. Thats the vision

Stealing from the Book of Doc Tom

There are some real similarities between this rock and the snow I want. I am thinking using this foam and a Dremel I might be able to grind out a snow slide remnant. And then plaster it and paint it up. Might ave to mess around with that technique.

I’ve been thinking about this, and here’s how I would attempt it…no guarantee it’ll work… I’d recommend trying it on a small test piece first.

First, I’d sculpt the basic shape out of some kind of foam, like urethane, balsa foam, insulating foam, etc. If the foam isn’t white to begin with, then coat it with some white paint. Then, to give it that translucent, glittery look, I’d mix some powdered marble into some gloss acrylic medium, and brush that on. Build up several layers, letting it dry between coats, until you have the desired appearance. Finish it off with a coat of Krylon UV-resistant gloss for protection. Then glue or paint on a few bits of debris as needed.

Ray, that great. Basically where I was heading already with what Doc Tom did on his new On30 layout. But was trying to figure out that translucent look.

Where would one get powdered marble? never mind Google is my friend.

It is fitting you chimed in considering this snow will be on be on the Dunakin Pass snow shed

Edited:

Ok I think we are onto something. I had been thinking about making a foam master and then making a mold and casting the snow drift in resin. Well looking at this marble powder they use it just that way in casting with resin. they mix the stuff with resin and then cast it and it gives that translucent look. This could be a great way to do it.

Interesting idea. I’m planning a “mini-layout” that will have three “modules” . . . each will be the RR at a different elevation. One of them being the RR in the high mountains with snow. I will follow this and see what you do . . how it comes out.

Well I have decided in my sleepless night to not cast this. It would require a large mold and too much resin to be worth while. I think Ray’s idea is much better of mixing the marble dust with something that can then be applied to the foam base. Maybe so clear acrylic like he suggests or clear epoxy resin. I have even wondered about a gloss clear spray acrylic and then while wet sprinkle the stone dust on doing this in several coats to build it up.

Nope… will not get snow just dirt and debris… After all this is Devon…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)
Dirt and debris will be hard enough along with the weathering of the wood…

He still has to build his outdoor railroad…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

See guys, I just provided the key to keep Devon from devoning, plant unique and challenging ideas in his mind. He loves a challenge and it gets his modeling juices flowing. Just make sure the challenge is related to keeping his railroad moving forward.

Now, with all that said, I think the snow shed is going to look great when you get through with it. The snow will just add realism to the model.

BTW: Devon, I hope you do realize that I am just yanking your chain about the devoning. If their is anybody in this community that is procrastinating or devoning or whatever you want to call it, it’s me. So I am using all the ribbing you are getting as inspiration to get off my rear and put some track down so I thank you for that.

Dan Hilyer said:
See guys, I just provided the key to keep Devon from devoning, plant unique and challenging ideas in his mind.

No this is exactly what causes Devon to devon. It causes me to walk off on tangents. And yes Dan I realize your yanking my chain. I give as good as I get your time is coming (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif). I have a thick hide and love a good natured trash talk any day.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Nope… will not get snow just dirt and debris… After all this is Devon…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)
Dirt and debris will be hard enough along with the weathering of the wood…

He still has to build his outdoor railroad…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I am not promising snow. It will be the last part of this puzzle. But actually covering the shed in snow would be faster and easier me thinks than doing rock and debris. one big hunk of sculpted foam.

See Dan I think Sean and David have figured me out. Maybe your catching on also. Its not that I procrastinate; thats not the right word. I am always busy and never put of doing “something” My issue is I am not a closer, I lose interest and move on. What Sean and David have realized is that by relentlessly teasing me and hounding me it causes me to “prove them wrong” by actually finishing something so I can say “I told you so”. So welcome it because it pushes me to finish what otherwise left on my own I wouldn’t.

All true Devon. I am guilty of the same loss of interest. I am involved in so many hobbies that I just move from one to the next as my interest in each one changes.

We all need the Sean’s and Davids in our lives to keep us on point. But the tangents are what make the journey and ultimately the end result (i.e. railroad) better.

Well Dan I used to model cars at a semi competitive level. And it would really bug me when I would start a car and not finish it because I moved onto another car that caught my interest. I felt like I was a bad guy because I wouldn’t finish a project. Like there was something wrong with me. It actually made me quit modeling. I walked away. I was not enjoying what I was doing because I would never finish.

Then I decided to get back into modeling first HO and now Large Scale trains. But without the competitive edge I haven’t felt the “need” to finish. What I discovered is that I far more enjoy the process than the result. The money is not “wasted” the time is not “wasted” on unfinished projects. I had to ask myself why am I doing this, its supposed to be fun, and what causes me to have fun. Well if I feel “pressured” to finish just because it “needs” to be completed then I no longer have fun and become frustrated. We all are doing this hobby to relax and walk away from the reality of our world. For me the fun is in the process not the completed project. I have decided to never lose any sleep over unfinished projects. Thats not to say I don’t want to finish projects but if I don’t no sweat.

But we do all need Seans and Davids so we do have something to play with.

White stucco.

Todd Brody said:

White stucco.

thought about that and even looked at stucco pictures. Not sure it has the right look. But a lot of what I read was white cement and the marble powder to make marble and it looks good. Maybe a mix of stucco and marble powder?

Done to this sort of texture maybe with the harder and glossy sheen of the marble powder