Large Scale Central

Is Labelle 107 oil OK with plastic?

Looking at the bottle and the literature that came with it I can’t tell if Labelle 107 oil is ok with plastic. Does anyone know?

thanks

timmyd

It says so right on the package.

Usually, if it comes in a plastic bottle, it is.

John

John, usually, but not always. Since some fluids come in one type of plastic bottle, but will attack other types of plastic.

Timmy doesn’t your bottle look exactly like the picture above?

Greg

If his bottle is like a couple of my 20+ year old bottles, all or most of the printing has worn off the bottle.

That’s when you refill it with Mobil One and call it a day.

Greg Elmassian said:

Timmy doesn’t your bottle look exactly like the picture above?

Greg

No. The packaging is not the same as well. However, now upon closer examination and using a magnifying glass reading the back it does indeed say Plastic Compatible.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Much appreciated.

In general Tim, I believe that everything LaBelle makes is plastic compatible.

I remember when the product line first emerged, that was their claim to fame, plastic compatible. I think it was 1970, but maybe earlier, Con-Cor owns them now. They were a big deal because many people were using anything and plastic gears were failing.

Apparently by 1974 they were the best selling model railroad lubricants. My personal opinion is that they have been eclipsed by Hob-e-lube and AeroLube.

Greg

Greg, at the price that is charged for 1/2 fluid ounce of LaBelle, I can almost buy a quart of Mobile One. But you knew that. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yep, I’m using Mobile 1 for general lubrication now.

Greg

Greg, I know you are. You told me. And I am glad you did. It works better then the oil pens my parts department gives me for lubing them HP/Cannon printers. And it has solved several nagging squeaks on my railroad. And after lubing so much with it, I still have nearly a full quart left.

There are other “Synthetic” lubricating oils on the market, besides Mobile. I purchased one called “Lucas”, which by its label, conforms to the same standards as Mobile.

The reason I chose the Lucas one, is because its plastic container was easier to use to fill the LaBelle applicator.

For the last two years I have been using the “Gear Lube” grade for just about everything. It seems to stay on the gears better than grease, and on flat surfaces also. It stays in the journals of the trucks very well too, where grease seems to get squeezed out more readily.

I also use it to lubricate Kadee couplers too…but not the draft gear itself. This prevents rust from forming in the knuckles.

And yes; that container of oil will probably last me for the next 20 years, after-which someone else can have what’s left…!!! (No Charge)

Fred, thanks. I only knew for sure that Mobile one was safe and good. Its nice to know that there are other options.

Based on the amount I have left in my Labelle bottles a quart of Moblie 1 would last me ten lifetimes. I suspect who ever cleans up after I’m gone will still find oil left in my Labelle containers. Oil is for lubricating and using sparingly, it’s not salad dressing !

when you guys are referring to Mobile 1 are you referring to automotive oil?

Be careful around gears I used the ‘fine’ grade of oil and its so fine that it migrated into the space between the gear and the axle and broke the connection, leaving my gear spinning on the axle. So avoid using the ‘fine’ grade at any gears or connections that can be infiltrated. I am just avoiding the fine grade altogether from now on and sticking to medium.

Vic, those would not be Bachmann gears would they?

Well, the penetrating aspect means that you have lubrication at all times. I would think that a press fit gear where the press fit is correct, would not allow anything in there.

I’d have a hard time blaming it on the lubrication, more likely plastic “Fit” or shrinkage that cause cracks and loosen the gear.

But, dunno for sure.

Greg

No Greg, it was a brand new NWSL Magic Carpet, and the fine grade broke the friction connection of the gear to the axle, once that stuff gets in there, forget it, its never coming out. It was most definetly the oil, I used too much on the exposed gears. If I had used a thicker oil I think it would still be OK but that fine grade stuff is like the whale oil used on high end clocks and watches and should only be used very sparingly, it gets into everything. It’s also caused problems on another gearbox from a powered model car, same issue, friction connection undermined.

Funny thing is that I used it on 60-70 year old Marx trains to resurrect them from the dead, nothing worked better for that.

timmyd DeHan said:

when you guys are referring to Mobile 1 are you referring to automotive oil?

Yes, my portable container has a 4’ applicator! 190K and still a tight engine!

John