Large Scale Central

Stub switch

I had a bad idea. It was really a bad idea. But I had to run it through my search engine to see how bad of an idea it is. It turns out, that someone else had the same bad idea.

So this picture proves that I can solve the space issue on a module I am contemplating building, by making a stub switch with more then 3 routes. I can only imagine what the switch-stand for this “creation” looks like.

I guess I should have filed this under “There is a prototype for (nearly) everything”.

Yeah, you only need to make 6 frogs!

Ya get with the program sunny!

Guys, yes, I know about those. But I am talking an HO scale module, with self appointed HO rivet counting modelers critiquing my work. Many times those self appointed experts tell me that such and such is wrong, or that locomotive has the wrong number on it, or that feature could not exist in the real world or…well this time I have photographic proof of something to shut them up with. That is, if I decide to build it.

Just hand them a bag of rivets to count, that’ll keep them happy.

Sorry Dave I did not see (and still don’t (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)) where you stated it was an HO scale rivet counting situation.

So, in that case, nevermind.

Greg

Hey Greg or Sean are those units in your pictures still available? Who made them?

David Maynard said:

I had a bad idea. It was really a bad idea. But I had to run it through my search engine to see how bad of an idea it is. It turns out, that someone else had the same bad idea.

There’s bad, and then there’s so awesomely cool bad it must be done. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That stub switch is really unique. I say go for it and darn those rivet counters.

Keep us posted David .

David,

I am thinking about abandoning my 5 way Switch like Greg and Sean’s. I have it about half done and it will work great but it doesn’t look right. So I posed the question to Daniel the builder for Llagas about how to get a 5 way divergence in the shortest space. He tells me he is working on a five way stub. He has it all laid out and it is in construction. I think I have him maybe convinced to do a second if the price was right. He needs a 5 way harp stand. I am hoping to bribe him by making the stand for him. maybe that will entice him to help me out.

It can be done and is a very nice looking piece of work. And is the very best way to solve the space issue.

Greg Elmassian said:

Yeah, you only need to make 6 frogs!

I don’t know if they are considered frogs but in addition to the 6 true frogs there are 4 more rails crossing points farther up as well. In talking to Daniel he is making his out of nickle silver and is going to be doing a bunch of soldiering. Not sure if he is using a 6 prefabricated frogs of if he is going to solder all of it together out of rail.

If I can’t get him to make me one for a price I can handle I will be finishing the one like yours I have already started but will put this 5 way stub in the bucket. It is very cool and would be a fun project and focal piece.

Greg, I didn’t say it was for an HO module, but it would be if I built it. I just said it was a really bad idea.

Steve, some of those guys I would like to give something else besides a bag of rivets. This is a hobby, and I don’t appreciate self appointed experts peeing in my punch bowl. I wish they would just let me have a little fun for goodness sake. Since they are so “perfect”, I run a Tyco F7, Penn Central of course, with Tyco billboard reefers, all equipped with X2f horn hook couplers, to torque them off when they get too snooty.

Forrest and Todd, its still in the Devoning stage. I may or may not ever build it. But I have proof that at least one 1:1 railroad actually built one once.

Devon, as for the switch stand. I don’t think one could be made to work and be durable enough in HO scale. I was thinking of mounting a small crank on the fascia, and using some all thread and a nut to move the…um…lead rails. Attach the nut to the throw bar, and use the all thread (through the nut) as the crank handle shaft. 6 32 all thread would give me 1/32 of a inch movement per rotation. 4 40 all thread would give me 1/40 of a inch movement per rotation. I think I can work it out if I actually want to.

David Maynard said:

Forrest and Todd, its still in the Devoning stage. I may or may not ever build it. But I have proof that at least one 1:1 railroad actually built one once.

Even if you never build it, simply showing it to exist has enriched my model railroading life and knowledge. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg and Sean have the 5 way which was available as a 3 way also. Sold by Trainli.

The 5 way was sold as a manual and for extra $$ a motorized version was available.

One note for this switch is that it can not be placed in direct sunlight/ needs protection. Sean has his in a train storage shed (he lives 2 miles form me).

i don’t understand you guys…

with the space one of these five-way stubs needs, one could easy install a three-way and two two-way switches.

Yea, I could do a 3 way switch with 2 2 ways and a Wye. But what fun is that?

I’d love to see you do it David. That is cool. Sounds like a good system for the throw too. Let us know when you’re done with the Devoning.

Edit for: 're

LOL. Like I said, its a bad idea. So I might just have to fiddle with sometime.

Korm Kormsen said:

i don’t understand you guys…

with the space one of these five-way stubs needs, one could easy install a three-way and two two-way switches.

Sometimes there are things, be they practical, easy, simple, or not, and especially if not, which you do to find out whether you Can do them.

And the less simple and easy they are, the more satisfaction in doing it successfully, exponentially more.

Forrest, and that is why I made a dual gauge trestle with gauge separation stacks at each end. All hand laid track in HO/HOn30. Just to see if I could.

And that reminded me why I am a large scale modeler. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)