Large Scale Central

First plow run this winter

It’s been close to -30 for a couple of weeks but on Sunday it was close to freezing. The snow was about perfect for plowing. The two engines were struggling in spots. Probably could have used a third.

Good Stuff Mike!

Very nice, looks like fun.

Chris

Mike,

You are a brave soul! Is that -30º Celsius or Fahrenheit (-22ºF). Whatever it is you are a brave soul. Are the locos battery powered or track powered?How long did you run? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The trains look good in the snow. Are they Canadian National?

I wonder if the slow down is due to either ice on the rails or the fact that the plow only clears a path under 5" wide then on the tight curves the sides of the car catches on the drifts? That happens on my RR.

Yes they are Canadian National. May not hear that well in the video but there was a lot of wheel slip in the deep snow. It just kept chewing through it though. More traction from a third locomotive would have helped, but the only other locomotives I have are a couple E8’s. They hang over the curves a lot more than these F1’s.

Cool video Mike. I like to see the plows working.

Joe Zullo said:

Mike,

You are a brave soul! Is that -30º Celsius or Fahrenheit (-22ºF). Whatever it is you are a brave soul. Are the locos battery powered or track powered?How long did you run? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That would be -30 Celsius the last couple weeks. Weather like that is just another day around here. Thankfully we have warmer temperatures now and looks like through Christmas. It was around -5 C when I took the plow out, running on track power. I was out about 20 minutes. Long enough to plow the mainline and all the sidings.

Mike Gibson said:

Yes they are Canadian National. May not hear that well in the video but there was a lot of wheel slip in the deep snow. It just kept chewing through it though. More traction from a third locomotive would have helped, but the only other locomotives I have are a couple E8’s. They hang over the curves a lot more than these F1’s.

The hangover is the problem when we plow snow. The sides catch on the unplowed snow. In the real world the curves are not as tight as on our RR’s.

When I plow snow I let the equipment aclimate for about an hour out in the cold but running track power the ice does build up on the rails and after a bit it gets bumpy out there.

Isn’t that why plows have wings? So they can push the snow far enough out for clearance.

Good snow removal video, at least that one is successful, so many snow removal videos are done with real heavy snow or ice on the track. Great planning , Thanks

Dennis

My plow stays outside in the engine house. I put the locomotives out for a couple hours before the run. I went a few laps before I brought the locomotives back in and they ran flawless the entire time. In the past I have been too quick to get running and then I have trouble with ice buildup.

I would like to add some wings to the plow. That would solve the issue if overhang.

Thanks for sharing Mike. Always nice to see your RR. Later RJD

David Maynard said:

Isn’t that why plows have wings? So they can push the snow far enough out for clearance.

Yup

A caboose with wings. Does it fly?

I thought Rooster was bad…

Sean, so am I worse then, or better then Rooster?

We all need goals.