Large Scale Central

Wireless DCC via Xbee 2.0

I’ve been working on this for a while now, finally got some time to refactor everything and get a good build. Also finished up my new controller. If you are interested there is more on my blog:

http://martinsant.net/

Looks Great Martin.

Thanks. Real happy with the client code. Generates DCC on the fly. I have a little Econami HO DCC decoder in there, it sure puts out the sound, doesn’t it? Of course part of that is the 2 inch speaker with a passive radiator, nice bass. The decoder is also controlling the lights. The motor blocks are driven with a 20A ESC via servo output 0, the other two servos drive the couplers.

Currently the clients are running at 8mhz, I’m going to boost that to 12Mhz with an external crystal for more performance- I want to add acceleration and braking tables plus sync the sound a bit better. I have a current sensor and wheel pulse counter in there I’m just not looking at those inputs right now.

Next will be getting it to control my Live Steam AML 060. That should be a challenge but there is lots of room in the tender if I can cut a hole in the bottom. I’d like to add a speaker to it so I can get some good steam whistles as well. And of course get the lights to work.

I am also working on a touch screen controller with a big aluminum knob, tried one with a phone but did not like how it came out, I don’t like sliders for throttles. This controller is ok, but kinda bulky although it does fit in one hand. I like that arrangement so I can hold it and use my thumb for the throttle, then hit the buttons with the same thumb, all one handed. The touch screen design will be more compact.