Large Scale Central

New Orleans - trains ?

New Orleans … Are there train related things to do there?

Ride the PCC cars they use there.

On the weekends there is a Garden Railroad club at the Botanical Gardens. I was communicating with a guy I bought some trains from, but it petered out.

Also you can buy a Jazzy Pass for $3 a day, 5 days for $10 if I remember correctly. Unlimited bus and streetcar rides. last trip, except for getting to and from the airport, we walked or rode with no need for a car. If you take Amtrak in, one of the streetcar lines goes to the station.

When we were on the Riverwalk, they were shunting grain cars.

Kids? Insectarium on Canal Street, Botanical Gardens. Walking tour of the Garden District goes by Archie Manning’s house. Sign up for a bus tour, you will see places you otherwise may miss. We want to find out if there is a bus tour to Avery Island, the home of Tabasco. If you go on a Plantation Tour, stop and get a Muffeleta sandwich to take with you as they may not have food.

Go to Commander’s Palace for Lunch, it is MUCH cheaper than dinner. Take a cemetery tour, not scary, very educational. Do not miss The World War II Museum. Allow at least a full day. Itis 5 building and they are expanding to 7.

Must go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets - hint - do NOT wear black. They put a load of powdered sugar on!

Go on the website for the New Orleans School of Cooking for classes and prices. While you watch a great cooking demonstration, they give you a great history lesson. Then you get to eat the meal they prepared. It is cheaper than going out to dinner, and you get a history lesson. Takes about 3 hours.

OK, that ought to get you started on your trip. We have stayed in The French Quarter (noisy), the Warehouse District (quiet), and the Garden District (quieter). You can walk or Jazzy Pass practically everywhere!

Great information there Lou !

Thanks.

The wife is @ work thing , and I will be on my own ! Ha! Beer!

go to the Huey Long Bridge and watch freight trains crossing the Mississippi.

Pete Lassen said:

go to the Huey Long Bridge and watch freight trains crossing the Mississippi.

What Rail Roads are there?

We were riding the Riverline Streetcar when this passed us.

New Orleans Public Belt was shunting covered hoppers on the Old Mississippi!