Large Scale Central

SCVGRC Facebook Page

Hello all,

I created a Facebook page for our Santa Clarita Garden Railroad Club. Please pop on over and take a look…give us a “Like” as well, it would be much appreciated. Im trying to show our members that an online presence is needed.

www.facebook.com/scvgrc/

I just posted 2 articles…Garden Railroad Resources and Sawmills of the 32nd NGRC both written by our members.

Thank you in advance!

online presence is a good thing. but why on fake look?

@Korm…Its free, fairly accessible. We dont charge any dues, so paying for website hosting is out of the question.

Korm I know its not for everyone but facebook is more popular than forums or web pages these days. You can get a lot more people that way. I noticed just with my FB page I created for my layout vs my web page. In less then one day I had reached almost 3000 people and 1.1k views on short train videos in FB. I average around 900 views per post and that’s usual in 1 day. Look at the fall photo thread here, less then 500 views. It no doubt gets more viewers then any of the forums and web sites. Just go to any of the train pages on FB and you will see so many more users and lots of great pictures etc. It might not be good for the more technical stuff but if you like seeing pictures of peoples layouts and short video clips, its the way to go. Their is always a new posts. It is the best way to promote the hobby today.

Forums are good for build logs still. That is one thing FB is not good for because how fast post can get lost. But I found the way around it, is to create your own page.

With the blow up of my photo storage over at MLS I have been considering this for my layouts, a dedicate page. Maybe, I’m giving the techs at MLS till new years, if cannot resuscitate my photo archive by then…

Vic Smith said:

With the blow up of my photo storage over at MLS I have been considering this for my layouts, a dedicate page. Maybe, I’m giving the techs at MLS till new years, if cannot resuscitate my photo archive by then…

Vic it is the way to go. I found creating a page for your layout under your normal facebook page is the way to go rather then creating another separate account. Whats nice is any non facebook user can still see your page with no commitments. Another nice feature is anytime you creat a post you copy that link and past it to the forums or FB train groups. I found I enjoy seeing the train posts on FB especially seeing things for all over the world.

I have had it ne setup for a while now.
www.facebook.com/westshorerailway
As mentioned it is a great way to post short video clips and pictures.
But it doesn’t really have a way to search for topics like you can here.
I still use both, but sometimes I feel like just putting up a random picture of my trains and that’s when FB comes in handy.