Large Scale Central

Aristo Pacific resurrected

As the title says I was able to resurrect this old model Aristo Pacific from a box full of parts. Thanks to Nico Corbo for supplying the needed gears. Today I did the first test run and it was gratifying. Here is a very short video of it’s test run…

It’s alive!
And the Southern green doesn’t hurt it any either.

Glad I could assist in keeping another one on the rails. She looks good, enjoy!

Thanks guys! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

It’s a good feeling to bring an old locomotive back to life.

Especially these, as they are no longer made.

Aristo-Craft 1994 CNR Pacific

I bought this for $10.

The motor block and valve gear were all broken.

It appeared that petroleum based lubricants were used on it.

I purchased $100 worth of parts from Navin and completely restored it.

It is now powered and controlled with an Aristo-Craft lithium-ion battery and Revolution receiver with steam sounds.

It’s great to see you guys rebuilding these great looking locomotives. Sure would be nice if someone would re-produce the motor blocks for these beauties as I have 2 sitting in boxes waiting for parts.

Chuck, I agree. Someone could have a nice little side business making repair parts for some of the orphaned locomotives (and rolling stock) out there. They might not be able to make a living at it, but they sure could earn some beer money.

David Maynard said:

Chuck, I agree. Someone could have a nice little side business making repair parts for some of the orphaned locomotives (and rolling stock) out there. They might not be able to make a living at it, but they sure could earn some beer money.

I think people would find having someone else doing their repair work would be expensive. If I worked for minimum wage, people could buy a new locomotive cheaper than paying for the parts and my time as I am rather meticulous when refurbishing a locomotive.

I have a good friend who bought a second hand GP-9. The first time he tried to run it at Fred’s, it generated a lot of smoke when he turned it on. His worse fear was that the Revolution receiver, Phoenix Sound P8, or Aristo-Craft 22.5 volt lithium-ion battery just got fried. He put it aside for a couple of months, and then brought it over to my house this morning because our operating season is over.

It took a while for me just to get it open, even though I had my GP-9 article open on my computer. There are always some shell screws that hang up in the deep burrows in USAT frames. When it did open, I was taken aback because it looked like my work. But closer examination revealed some else had done it following most of the OVGRS web site instructions.

So I began untangling and disconnecting the wiring so the components could be removed for bench testing. Inspection revealed the Revolution Receiver, Super Socket, and P8 did not look or smell burnt. Then I noticed a relay provided with the Revolution receiver had been wired to trigger the smoke unit. Something than no one in our group had considered because we do not use smoke as it wastes battery run time.

Now that I have the unit opened however, I will remove the smoke unit and relay. The receiver and sound board will be bench tested. The trigger wires will be used just for sound functions. The motor blocks will be opened, lubed and inspected for split drive gear axle sleeves. The solid core wiring will be replaced with something more flexible. And I am sure there will be other things to make right before this one gets handed back. It’s a good thing I am not on the clock for this friend.

I agree, Paul. I can’t afford myself. Its a good thing I’m retired and can work for free. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I didn’t mean someone would rebuild locomotives, I meant someone would make the power blocks and other parts for them. If I could buy a new and better drive for, lest say, an olde Aristo Pacific, I could get an old one with a torn up drive running my self, as could others.

I agree, Paul is right that it would be hard to make a business in repairing the locos, but Davids point was repair parts, and that I think can be a viable business, albeit not huge.

I hope more people find it profitable like GLX models seems to be enjoying.

Greg

Barry made replacement drives for Bachmann locomotives. I am sure someone, if they wanted to, could have a side income making drives for other locomotives.

Well, Kader still has everything, so maybe if they succeed to make money from the Eggliner and the Speeder, they will make some gearboxes, since they are used in a lot of locos, steam and diesel.

Greg

Greg, that would be nice.

It might take some “lobbying”… getting on the Bachmann Large Scale forum, and continually asking for this stuff… if we get a number of people asking, then they might take this to heart.

Anything but a concerted effort will most likely have no effect, and they only seem to pay attention to their own forum (kinda like the old Aristo days huh?)

Greg

Greg, yes, I see. But someone had to come up with the idea of bringing back the eggliner. I can hope that same someone decides to bring back other things.

But, being greedy here, it would be nice if they would update/improve the drives of the steamers when they bring them back. I know, I am being greedy. But I can dream, can’t I?

Hoping and wishing is fine, but taking action will have more effect. I have all the eggliners and speeders I need… those are snacks, I need a main course, locos, rolling stock, etc.

I am going to go over there and start making suggestions… maybe others will join…

Greg

ok, lets deluge then with requests.

I put my 2¢ in.

I saw that Steve, way to go. Thumbs up.

Greg