Large Scale Central

Aristo Old No 7 set, opinions?

I am looking at this set on ebay. The main reason I am considering this is for the coaches. If the loco works that is a bonus if not it will be a parts loco. I have my junk box Bachmann porter that I want to use as a haul around for club functions and just to let trundle around my layout when it gets done. I want to make a small mixed train consist for it. My loco seems small in scale:

Most everything I put behind it just looks to big for my liking. I realize it is a small loco but still I want it to look somewhat in scale. I have a Bachmann bobber that I am painting to match and it looks too big. I might trade it out for a New bright one that is smaller. At any rate I want some coaches. I am considering the standard Bachmann coaches. But I saw these and really like the unique design and they appear smaller.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the size of these are in scale or how they compare to Bmann? Does anyone have these type cars that they could put next to something familiar say a 10 wheeler? Would the price be fair if I can get them for the opening bid?

I actually like the loco also and could see replacing the cab with a 1:24 cab and making backwoods logger or mine loco out of it.

For contrast I am looking at Bmann combine and a B mann coach that with combined shipping I can get for around $60 shipped. The aristo set with coaches, loco, track and transformer is about $80 shipped. Of course that is if no one else bids.

This seems to be about the going price for a couple of decent coaches.

Pull the trigger. How are your painting skills?

Steve Featherkile said:

Pull the trigger. How are your painting skills?

While I am somewhat fond of Old No 7 they would get painted. I would paint them a tan/beige with that same green on the loco, no matter what coaches I get.

I stand to be corrected, BUT; That locomotive in the picture posted, sure DOES NOT look like anything Aristocraft ever produced.

The topic of this “Forum” states clearly “Aristo Old No. 7 set”…is anyone sure that it is in fact an Aristo (Aristocraft) product ?

Parts of the locomotive look like parts found on a number of Bachmann locomotives, and a few other named offerings often described as made made for the name brand by Bachmann. Buddy L is one, and even NewBright, or some name like that, is another.

The tender sure isn’t anything made by Aristo, which is what makes me even bothering to contribute to this thread. I don’t think that the original author knows what he is looking at, or if the seller knows either. However…if a person likes something, and wants it, who am I to stop him from purchasing something that could bring him pleasure.

Fred Mills

Looks a lot like a B’mann 0-4-0 side tank Porter with the side tanks removed.

Dear father, you missed the link to the loco being talked about, Devon’s pic is there to cornfuze you, it worked.

The link is the Aristo 0-4-0, but uglier than most! Edit to say in my opinion it’s a tad busy…

It’s a 1:29 loco and will dwarf your B’mann basics…

Look for Sierra passenger cars, for that’s what is in the set.

John

Devon Sinsley said:

I am looking at this set on ebay. The main reason I am considering this is for the coaches. If the loco works that is a bonus if not it will be a parts loco. I have my junk box Bachmann porter that I want to use as a haul around for club functions and just to let trundle around my layout when it gets done. I want to make a small mixed train consist for it. My loco seems small in scale:

Most everything I put behind it just looks to big for my liking. I realize it is a small loco but still I want it to look somewhat in scale. I have a Bachmann bobber that I am painting to match and it looks too big. I might trade it out for a New bright one that is smaller.

The B’mann porter is in scale for 1:22.5. These prototype Porter locos were quite small. I use mine hauling three B’mann J&S coaches and it looks OK to me.

Sorry for the confusion. I tied a link to an Ebay auction where it says “this set” to this set:

I am looking to possibly buy this set and use the coaches behind the above loco. I did say that the loco was a junk box Bachmann porter. It is indeed a side tank porter with the tanks removed and the tender is a New Bright or some such. I bought them in a box of junk for $20 bucks and put it together for fun and kinda like it. Sorry for the confusion.

“.…Sorry for the confusion.

It happens to all of us, and majority of times due, too close tah “end-of-day”. :slight_smile:

‘charge up’ the air brush !

doug c

So the Aristo ones are 1:29 and the Bmann porters are 1:22.5. I will stick with the standby bachmann coaches.

John Caughey said:

Dear father, you missed the link to the loco being talked about, Devon’s pic is there to cornfuze you, it worked.

The link is the Aristo 0-4-0, but uglier than most!

John

The loco pictured was not to confuse but was to reference the loco I was talking about that I want to pull the coaches behind.

Devon Sinsley said:

John Caughey said:

The link is the Aristo 0-4-0, but uglier than most!

John

The loco pictured was not to confuse but was to reference the loco I was talking about that I want to pull the coaches behind. And hey I have to defend my little trash loco. I went to swap meet where I bought a Backmann flat car, a bachmann box car, this loco and two of the those tenders for $20 bucks. I bought it for the two cars and figured the rest to be parts. When I got home I realized I had almost a complete loco. Why not throw it together. I went to bashing and I think it is a pretty nifty little loco for basically free if you figure I paid $20 for the two cars.

I am just using it as a runner for taking to club functions right now. Eventually I would like to rework the tender and build an oil tank in the fuel bin and extend down the water tank at the front so it looks right. I want to turn it into an oil burner. but for right now it will stay as is and give me something to run.

Devon, or you could do a Whaleback tender.

Devon Sinsley said:

Sorry for the confusion. I tied a link to an Ebay auction where it says “this set” to this set:

I am looking to possibly buy this set and use the coaches behind the above loco. I did say that the loco was a junk box Bachmann porter. It is indeed a side tank porter with the tanks removed and the tender is a New Bright or some such. I bought them in a box of junk for $20 bucks and put it together for fun and kinda like it. Sorry for the confusion.

I wudn’t cornfused. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)I new what chu wad takin abot. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)