Large Scale Central

Aristo Dash-9 disaster......

and no laffin, thanks.

Last Saturday afternoon and evening we had a Hallowe’en run over at the ride-on railway, and a few of us were also running stuff on our new large [by our standards, that is] raised 45mm gauge double track.

As you’ve prolly guessed, it was pretty dark by the time I pitched up with my Dash-9, analogue DC but fitted with the QSI [?] sound system. I unpacked it, and put it by the loading table while I went to check the running schedule. Outer track was set up for the LGB MTS mogul running on it, and the inside track was live-steam and analogue DC.

While I was reading the wayboard, and before I could do anything to stop them, a ‘helping hand’ had put my DC loco on the MTS track.

No use crying, I guess, but what can I do now to fix it?

tac

Hi tac, in theory your loco should have run very fast if the MTS power was on. What is your loco not doing now? The QSI can handle 20V constant voltage. We need some more info to help you.

Don

I didn’t see it run as I was too far away, and it was dark, but trying it out later only the lights came on…

Thanks, Don.

tac

I wish we were closer to open up and take a look. The lights are good that means the voltage regulator still works. Try sliding the motor and track/battery on/off back and forth. Are you in Oregon now? Dave Goodson is closer than me and he can help you.

Don

I’m only in Oregon in my mind…sigh…I’ll try your advice in about ten minutes or so, and let you know how I get on.

tac

OVGRS

Oh! call Paul Norton in the OVGRS. He is your best resource. Don

Placing a DC only loco on a digital track for a short time does no harm, but it will heat up the motors if left on for a long time. Motors over heat as they do not receive a DC voltage to make them spin which keeps them cool.

So, possible motor burnouts if left on the track for a long time. What is a long time?? I do not know and would not experiment to find out!!

But isn’t the QSI also a DCC decoder? Or am I thinking of something else?

My thought is that if it is a DCC decoder, and it got MTS signals, it may just be really confused and in need of a reset.

Try bench testing the decoder and sound board.

Phoenix Sound board manuals usually have the bench test details.

When resetting a DCC decoder, be wary of any changes that have been made from the standard settings.

I have reprogrammed LGB sound units (chicken Dance, American Coke, 3 tune Xmas) as cv 35 is the first sound, cv36 the second sound…etc.

So, I can have 2 sound cars set to the same address yet play all sounds individually by setting new cv values for selections.

At Train-li we customize the smoke units after the general sound load. These custom settings will disappear. We do send a printout of changes that we make to the decoders, but people may loose these.

Thanks, everybody. The motors are stone dead. Funny that the person who put it on the track said that the lights were still on, but it wasn’t moving. Guess I now have a dust collector, Aristocraft having gone down the pan.

Great shame that.

Thanks again.

tac

OVGRS

Should be easy enough to find suitable replacement motors, TAC. Don’t give up, yet. Perhaps someone has a basket case they’d be willing to part out.

Tac

I might have a set of motor blocks for you

I have to locate them and make sure they work.

I bought a used GE-9 to convert into a dash-8 but don’t plan on

making it powered as i use rc and batteries and this will be running as a double header.

I will need blocks to mount the wheels but not necessarily powered.

But don’t get your hopes up till i test them to see if they are good runners

Bill

The SD-45 motor part number is ART-29357.

I assume they would be the same as the DASH 9.

If you can find a way to reach Navin, he may have some.

Tac, et al,

Complete new Aristocraft 3 axle motor blocks are not to hard to find IMO, I have seen multiple offerings for same on eBay and with dealers within the last few months or so. I purchased multiple pairs of same from Mark at Silver State Trains and was told more were available at the time.

Michael

If all else fails, give Nicholas Smith Trains a call. Chris usually has a boxes full of parts for Aristo, and other manufacturers.

http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/

I tried both Amazon and E-bay Canada and America for the SD45 and Dash9 motor blocks but got no listings.

There were listings for Dash 9 and SD45 diesels, but the price and shipping was not worth while.

Did you remove the motors from the blocks to test them?

There should be a manufacturer’s (not Aristo-Craft) sticker on them with a part number.

If you Google it, you may find them on Amazon or E-Bay from Hong Kong merchants for a fraction of the hobby cost.

This how I buy my electronic supplies now.

Secondly you may find the motors are OK, it’s just power pick-ups, wiring, or little circuit board on top of them that needs attention.

Thanks, Gentlemen - some more work on my part is obviously required. I’m not happy about dismantling circuit boards, and here in UK I am many expensive miles from anybody who could look at it with any degree of understanding.

@Steve - I know nobody who has a Dash 9 other than the person who looks back at me when I’m shaving.

@Paul - good plan, see my first sentence.

Thing is, Gentlemen, with all them sounds going on, and the hand-held controller to trigger them, it’s a real hit over here where very few, if any, outside tracks have DCC, especially those dedicated primarily to running G1 live-steam as ours is.

It’s such a pity that it got futzed.

tac

OVGRS

If this loco was fitted with a QSI in the socket, no damage would have occurred… They can handle DC or DCC/MTS and 37 volts

I suspect that there was a sound decoder in it, but we don’t know what it was, and that the motors were still wired as stock.

Tac, what is actually inside and how wired? Did you open it yet to verify? How long did it sit on the track?

Greg

Have you tried the usual suspects in the UK Tac - GRS, GRC, Chalk, Kent and Glendale ? All have had a strong Aristocraft/USAT stock presence in their lists over the years and I have seen various motor blocks for sale in those places. Bachmann UK did handle Aristocraft stock at some point you could see if they have any spares around. You mght find that a USAT motor might fit.

The line you were visiting wasn’t anywhere near Quainton by the way ? Max