Large Scale Central

Sound for Bachmann Climax

I’m installing Phoenix sound in an older version Bachmann Climax. It will be DC powered and will use reed switches for triggering bell and whistle.

Can anyone tell me the best way to mount the reed switches. The instructions suggest mounting them on the brake rigging on the front and back of the rear truck. After some testing, I not sure that mounting them horizontally to the far left and far right on the brake beam will keep both the bell and whistle from triggering at the same time.

Is this going to be a problem when using the LGB track-mounted magnets? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doc Watson

Dan used this kind on some of my engines.

Just to confuse you. No I do not know who makes them. He should chime in…

I have used the round encapsulated reeds and mounted the vertically with no problem (like the ones from Phoenix).

Also there are flat reed sensors which I have mounted on motor blocks as they have a low profile and 2 mounting holes which are very useful, computer mother board standoffs come in handy for mounting these.

In LGB motor blocks there are recesses in the motor block bottom cover to glue in glass reeds for bell and whistle.

On another note, Zimo now has sound files via Sound Design for the different fuel powered shays, climax and heisler.

These can be programmed for DC operation.