Large Scale Central

Leona Timber Co. gets a Depot

While at Marty’s this year I picked up a depot structure from Michael. For those who are not familiar with his structures, they are all cedar and very sturdy. This building was a great deal, which will allow me to customize it to my liking. Right now, the building is 33" long, 20" wide and about 18" at the peak. It consists of 3 sections, the center will be the main railroad office upstairs and ticket counter & waiting room downstairs. One end will be the freight room and the other will be a small dining room / lunch counter.

Trackside View:

Streetside View:

5 Double Doors and 36 Windows came with it:

Some of the Ozark Detail Parts I will be using: (a lot more to come)

The Semaphore Signal that will be placed at the end of the Platform:

I have lots of plans for this structure. More to come and I will also be adding videos to my YouTube Channel.

Chris

That is a fine looking building and it will really be a show piece when you add those details.

Will this be going outside? IF so be sure to protect it well and make sure there is good drainage all around.

The only problem I foresee is when you add other buildings to your RR they will have to be just as nice to fit in. LOL

Thanks, yes it will be going outside. The railroad will be all elevated so I will be able to provide adequate drainage from the very beginning.

Nice looking building. Just remember if it is going to be out side, you need to protect the cedar wood from water! A good stain or water proofing material is to considered. I look forward to seeing your progress on finishing the building.

Paul

Introduction video to the project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCEc97zyR0

Hope you enjoy,

Chris

That is cool video, I like your technique in the way you are doing this.

Dennis

Nice video.

Suggestion : use a tripod, you end up being further away from the mike. This will help us hear you better

I have a little table top tripod, but this building is so big I couldn’t use it so I put the camera (GoPro) in it’s case so I could use the handle. Didn’t realize the sound came out like that until the movie was uploaded. The next video I’m just going to hole the camera, which should help.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Chris

very cool cant wait to see the end product

The depot has been taken apart. Short video with hopefully a better sound quality this time. Disassembly Video

Next up is a new foundation build.

Thanks,

Chris

Very nice depot!

Where did you get that cool semaphore??

The signal is made by South Bend Signal Company. South Bend’s Page

I bought mine from Mike Kidmann Kidmann’s Page

Thanks,

Chris

Just a quick update. I have the foundation revised with an extended trackside platform and solid streetside platform. It has been completely decked and stained. Part of the stone foundation work has been completed. I have started the change to the window configuration on one end and that wall is up for stone work next.

Sorry it has been a while, took me some time to get the foundation revised, then there was the holidays, a hobby room move and I have been working on a build challenge for the last month. Should be back on the depot around mid month, so I will get some update photos when it gets put back on the bench.

Chris

Time for a LONG OVERDUE update on this project. To start with the platforms were raised 1/2" with the trackside being extended and made as one continuous piece. The platform and foundation were then stoned using Magic Sculpt. New decking was rotated to match standard practices and stained with craft paint.

Depot was mounted back on the platform. No changes were made to the Streetside with the exception of the partial stone wall. The Diner end wall had it’s window arrangement changed, and the entire wall was stoned. Trackside a ticket window was added where the origional double door went. A new single door will be in place of the old window off to the side. Roof was sanded smooth to allow for the shingles. The entire depot recieved it’s base colors.

Next step is to modify the door entries. I lowered all of the doors, so I will place a stone filler above them. Once that is done I will paint those and then go around and touch up all the paint and begin basic weathering before details. Porch roofs will be added back at a later stage.

Streetside view from Freight end:

Streetside view from Diner end:

Trackside view showing new ticket window and revised platform to be one piece and extended both ends:

Trackside view of the Freight end:

Closeup of new ticket window:

Diner end with new window arrangement:

With me having to build a shop in my new home, future progress will be delayed until fall unless I set up a temporary workspace.

Chris

Very nice

as Rooster said. and you are building quicker than i do.

Thats looking nice.

Chris, looking very good, glad to see you back into the hobby, after a move, which at its best is always a bear

I love the magic sculpt

Dennis

Well the hobby room is back up and running, and the depot is on the bench. While looking thru Ray Dunakin’s build on the Dos Manos Depot I noticed his stone joints were far superior to my own. (Man that guy is a menace). Mine are just to clean and straight. I want quarried stone, but these look laser cut. Almost like something a fuzz head will claim could only be done by alien technology.

So, Dremel tool in hand with a small ball end on low rpm, I attacked the situation. Probably take me a couple of days to get it done, i will add pictures of the end result soon.

Before picture:

Chris

Your work stands up to anybody’s. Nice job, thanks for sharing.