Large Scale Central

Groove Cube speaker

I bought 4 Groove Cubes to use on my layout for some sound in a couple of buildings. I want to take the battery out and use a larger one.

Instruction Manual for Groove Cube.

If I use a 5 volt regulator and 2 diodes in series to drop the voltage to 3.6 volts will that work OR do I need to use the diodes ( will the blue tooth board take 5 volts)?

Thanks

Richard

Richard

Why not stick with Li-ion batteries? They are 3.7v. All-Battery.com has they from 2200mAh to 15600mAh.

here is a link to the Li-ion page - Li-ion batteries

Tom

Tom

I already have some NiMH batteries and chargers on hand. Looking to use them. The Groove cubes only cost me $4.50 each.

Will the charger I have for my camera or tablet work to charge the batteries you showed, or will I need a charger for the new battery?

Richard

Richard

You would need a different charger for the batteries I showed.

You may want to try using three NiMH to replace the Groove Cube battery and see if they would work.

3.6v s. 3.7v is pretty close. Save building a regulator and whatever else you would need.

Seems like you could use four NiMH straight into the Groove Cube USB port.

You might be able to leave the Groove Cube alone and try plugging one of the following into the USB port.

They are cheap and have lots of power. Power Bank

They are easy to recharge from any USB port.

Tom

Tom

The reason I was thinking of the 5 volt regulator is I am thinking of using Blue Rail Trains in a couple of engines and the Groove Cube as a speaker for the Train sound (bells and horns) that come from the Blue Rail APP. So I was hoping to use one battery to power both the BL board and the Groove cube (with a 5 volt regulator + 2 diodes). The Li-ion Batteries that All-Battery have in the 11.1 to 14.8 range would work.

I just don’t know how stable Lion batteries are, never used them.

Richard