Large Scale Central

Bachmann Trains New Grizzly Flats 2-6-0/Coaches

Bachmann has now released it’s new line of 2-6-0 locomotives with a load of verified features listed below.

1. Can motor with all metal gearbox with appropriate gear reduction for 6 wheel drive.
  2. Advanced non proproetary circuit board for system control of your choice NMRA/NEM DCC, RC and DC.
  3. Operating Stephenson valve gear, piston valves, cross head pumps, piping, Johnson bar and linkage.
  4. Equalized locomotive suspension for smooth operation on uneven track.
  5. All wheel pickup from all drive wheels and tender trucks.
  6. Two optical sensors, one each cylinder to adjust timing and count of steam chuffs.
  7. Factory speaker/wire pigtail for aftermarket sound.
  8. Headlight/Ashpan flicker switch.
  9. Smoke generator switch.
  10. Motor on/off, track/battery easy access switches.
  11. Metal coal or wood load.
  12. Option for body/truck mounted couplers.
  13. Metal frame, drivers, hangers, leaf springs, siderods, piston rods, valve guides, guide rods, handrails, piping and chains.
  14. Brass plated metal whistle.
  15. Brass pop valve and bell with metal clapper.
  16. Seperate sanding lines.
  17. Extensive cab detail.
  18. LED headlight.
  19. Load synchronized firebox LED and ash pan fire glow.
  20. Full back head details/engineer and fireman.
    This locomotive has remarkable pulling power and quiet operation. It is pulling 5 coaches in the following video.
    This is amazing considering that one coach has a lot of drag due to contacts on every wheel and 5 cars can be a strain on most smaller steam locomotive drives. Without contacts this locomotive will easily pull 6 or 7 cars.
    Bachmann has really built a museum quality model with stunning graphics and a bullet proof, powerful, smooth operating drive, amazing detail and features.
    Bachmann’s has donated this model of Ward Kimball and Walt Disney’s Emma Nevada and it is the most stunning and beautiful G scale model I have ever seen and we are proud to own it.
    I think Walt Disney and Ward Kimball would be proud!
    Many thanks to everyone at Bachmann Trains!
    Check out this video on YouTube of this locomotive in operation.
    This video was unprofessionally made by myself and volunteer kids from our program and since we are far from movie producers it may be a little less than perfect but we hope you like it anyway! The kids had some jerky locomotive operation at the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/qwnVzEEmJHE

Hope you guys like the review and will have an interest in purchasing one of these locomotives. You won’t be sorry!
All the best and hope this post was informative.
Ken c / o Imagination Station Kids On Track 2016-17A40561

Double post again??? Posted once came up twice???

Nice!

Thanks Ray!

They sure made them “purdy” back then, didn’t they? Nice rendition.

The prototype is, I guess, supposed to become more like the model with current refurbishing. Now that’s a switch! Ken

Steve,
Any idea why this always double posts??
Curios. Ken

for whats its worth I’m only seeing single posts

That’s good to hear. I guess it’s only on my end. Thanks! Ken

Steve Featherkile said:

They sure made them “purdy” back then, didn’t they? Nice rendition.

Be nice if they produced some scale size coaches.

I am assuming they must be smaller or longer?

Bachmann’s coaches are nominally 1:22.5, though a bit compressed in terms of length. Because the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are models of rather small locos, the coaches don’t look too out-of-place behind the locos. However, the cars are definitely not 1:20.3.

I don’t foresee Bachmann doing coaches any time in the near (or not-so-near) future. I get the sense they’re quite happy with their current line of inexpensive passenger cars. AMS has “proper” 1:20.3 passenger cars, and even they’re fetching somewhere between $250 - $300 a piece now. Fortunately, “long” and “narrow gauge passenger train” are seldom used in the same sentence.

Later,

K

Nice to see a direct comparison of the size. Those 1:20.3 cars are huge!

I am working on a 1:20.3 scale coach and happened to park it on the shelf while I tested coupler height. Realizing my mogul was right behind it, I moved it forward onto the same track. So here’s an older spectrum mogul with a scale-size coach.

I also uploaded the original large file here: (you may have to copy the link - doesn’t seem to work as a link.)

http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_174/PeterTs%20Folder/Misc%202016/20161026_100815ebt-5-mogul-lg.jpg

One thing I note is that the tiny tender on the original makes a difference to the perceived size. This tender is an old Delton (thanks, Kevin,) and will hold the batteries, etc.

Thanks very much for posting this Ken!

I’ll add a little bit on one of the other BM new 2-6-0’s, the Glenbrook, which is based on the proto at the Nevada State RR Museum.

Wendell Huffman, the curator of all this equipment at NSRM, was kind enough to tour me through the shed. When we got here, I remarked that the new BM version’s painting & pinstriping seemed remarkably true to the prototype. Wendell’s remark was that this was was due to their contacting him, and him advising them on the details. So BM clearly took the time and made the investment to get things right, which is very encouraging.

I appreciated also that BM had the reversing linkage on the inside, like the proto.

Cliff

Cliff,
That is a really nice photo, crisp and clear!
It’s interesting that you mentioned Nevada as I will be moving our children’s model railroad program permanently to Carson City, Nevada in 2020 so it will be centrally located for events in California. Utah, Arizona, Idaho and of course Nevada. We are working on plans for setup in that museum sometime early in 2020.
Appreciate you posting the information and photo.
I hope someone will have a photo soon of the model for comparison to the prototype. It’s a really nice looking locomotive!
Again, thanks for sharing that!
Pete, your coach makes the locomotive look small but they look great together.
Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids On Track

That’s really neat that you’re doing that Ken!

Thanks, we just enjoyed seeing kids have fun and be in amazement at the opportunity to not just watch but run these trains. Not many people will allow kids of a any age to operate their G scale trains. We encourage everyone at any age. There is us big kids that have to join in the fun also you know!!!

Awesome Ken! That’s such a great service for the young’un’s.

I don’t mean to sidetrack your thread, but it sounds like you’re saying that you’ll be setting up a G gauge layout in the NSRM? It’s a small place, and the only spot I can imagine is where they currently have a wooden Thomas table thing, directly beneath the proud headlight of the Inyo, about where I stood when I took this shot:

Am I understanding that correctly? Or will you be setting up somewhere else?

Sorry for taking things off-topic, but you’ve got me really curious now, haha!

Cliff,
First off, it probably will be a long way down the road but the goal is to set up a small, medium or large sized layout at that venue, if space is available at the time for a few days or at a lage event they may be hosting. I have presented the idea and they seemed interested but since we are not to be at the location for a while, nothing further transpired.
It is a high interest location goal for us for 4 reasons,
1.Historical and educational significants.
2.One of only a few spots we have not been to.
3.At that time Nevada will be our centallized location.
4.it is the goal of this program to reach as many kids along the west coast as possible and Nevada has not had much opportunity.
I am confident that it will work out even if we have to put an awning or some type of covering up outside (weather permitting) although I don’t see this happening.
I try to cross bridges as I come to them and things have been known to change but about 98% of the time we meet the goals we set.
So I believe it will work out fine and we will be there in the future.
Hope that helps! Ken

By the way hope this photo of the new Bachmann gearbox is accessible.

https://s26.postimg.org/6egyb5oih/Screenshot_2016_10_25_19_19_08.png