Large Scale Central

LGB lat car kit bash

sorry, having issues with are folders. this started life as a 50’ LGB flat. the bottom was cut flat and styrene was added. the bulkheads are USAT’s that I cut down as are the trucks. It is a bit shorter than the prototype but I like how low it rides.

decals are from stan and weathering covers my mistakes

enjoy

JKS

Very nice, John. Well done.

I can hardly tell if that deck is plastic or wood…how’d you do that, John? Can you give us a little insight into your method? I’m really curious about how you go such good results.

Great looking flat

the deck was sprayed tan then I used progressively darker washes. I also rubbed some paint off with a paper towel to get the desires effect. I first came across the technique in Burl’s GR article on weathering.

thanks

JKS

I like the blue Colorado and Wyoming cars. Nice job !

look really good!!

Well done John (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

John K. Saunders said:

sorry, having issues with are folders. this started life as a 50’ LGB flat. the bottom was cut flat and styrene was added. the bulkheads are USAT’s that I cut down as are the trucks. It is a bit shorter than the prototype but I like how low it rides.

decals are from stan and weathering covers my mistakes

enjoy

JKS

John, is there a special reason for the low bulkheads? Real neat work done on it.

I model modern era. I thought that given the short length of the car that the lower bulkheads looked more a little better to my eye