Large Scale Central

New Loco Carrier

I finally got around to building a new locomotive carrier for my Accucraft #12. The one I had made before just stunk. You had to pick the whole locomotive up and sit/get it to the rails some how. The cradle function of the prior unit worked, but really isn’t needed. Especially in combo with a carrier. I have plans for a table top flipper/cradle that any future carrier could mate to and offload it’s loco in to.

So what makes this new carrier awesome? Well the inspiration for this idea came from Bob C. when he posted plans for a carrier that had a thin strip of steel affixed to some thin angle. His strip hung over about 1/4" and provided ledge that can sit on the rails and have an engine run right in. I took this idea a bit further and had the edges of some angle iron milled to produce a 3/64 thick x 1/4" long lip down their lengths. Then I just welded up some frame work to attache them.

Engine carrier

You can see the profile I had milled into the angle, although I’ll admit it’s not the best picture of it.

Engine carrier

Since the photos I added a lift of gate on the front that also doubles to make sure things don’t spread. I need to get some paint on it and I think I’ll be very pleased. Finished paint pictures to come. Just in time to hall #12 to the FEBT reunion.

Randy

wow are you sure that will be strong enough? Just kidding, It will hold good, I love mine, sure is easier and safer in vehicles.

I welded little hooks for the small stretch straps, so they can stretch over the engines to hold in place.

Dennis

WOW!! Now that is taking a basic idea to extremes.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) Great design so long as electricity is not involved, unless battery and pickups are totally removed or isolated.

Gotta ask…which is heavier, the loco or the carrier?

Nice work!

I believe his #12 is a live steam version.

Yes, Randy’s is the live steam version.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

I think he has a pet gorilla to haul that around…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

I think he has a pet gorilla to haul that around…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Fair question. I think the loco wins, but only by a pound. I was accused of being less evolved than most last weekend while climbing around in the rafters of the EBT lumber shed. So Ken may be partly right.

David is also correct, I only run Live steam, with the exception of my son’s battery powered LGB 2-6-0. If I had it to do again and, fingers crossed I will, I’d use 1/8" steel instead of 3/16". That would cut a third of the weight. Just not sure how available 2.5" angle at 1/8" thick is. I may even try my hand at aluminum welding and just use a steel strip screwed in for the “ledge”.

Dennis, I love your versions! What gauge steel are they in? They look like the perfect combination of strength at a minimum weight.

If I had it to do again and, fingers crossed I will, I’d use 1/8" steel instead of 3/16". That would cut a third of the weight.

Randy, Jack Thompson made some of similar design, using aluminum L angle and wooden sides. He could put it down on the rails and run his (battery powered) locos into the carrier. Gotta be a photo around somewhere . . . Aha!

Randy

16 gauge material, weighs half as much as the shay. I know how people like to run some engines in and out, I just pull mine in and out.

it could run out, it is battery powered, Easy

You will love yours, carries easy, and really protects them. Great Topic

Dennis

Wow Pete, Jack does a fantastic job on everything he builds. It’s hard to see how that angle is even in there. The functional cables do just as much aesthetically. A lot of nice features there.

Thanks Dennis! I thought they may be that heavy. But that works, 16 gauge is the max on my brake. I may have to try something more on those lines for the next attempt. Are there stiffening ribs at every pillar or just each end? Do the bottoms flex at all? I get very nervous with this type design. Some how when I look at them, I just see this:

The weight is spread out evenly from one end to the other, the bottom is plenty strong to hold without any flexing

Dennis

Randy its nice to know that if your house ever collapses you will at least have the comfort of knowing your loco survived. I mean there is over kill and then there is that. And that my friend is 100% a compliment (my garden arbor is made from rr ties and my patio cover out of bridge ties).

Well done.

Thanks for the extra shot Dennis. Clarifies things well.

Thanks Devon. Yeah, I always try and error on the over built side. Knowing loco survival is assured should help me sleep a bit better at night. RR tie covers and arbors sound lovely to me! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Well the paint is on and I rolled #12 in today after work. It fit just like it was made for it. Sooo much easier than the old carrier. You can see the front gate laying just ahead of the carrier.

Loco carrier

Here is the cardboard dust cover I made that slips over with center cover laying beside. The photo is also proof that it was carried from the layout to the garage and did not fall out the bottom. I’m pleased now.

Loco carrier

Edit to say: Sorry about the hyperlink on #12 the site mandates it be that way. I didn’t add it

Edit2: to correct the second picture.

Randy, Looks very nice

Dennis

Where is the cardboard dust cover? And trust you to work in cardboard. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)