Large Scale Central

Sick engine

I have a Bachman center cab that derailed awhile back and hasn’t worked since.

I would guess it fried the control board when it shorted.

Can I remove the motor blocks and use them without using a board? I would guess the blocks are ok.

Doug,

Most likely what you fried was the pickup wires from the motor blocks to the board. They are usually very small gauge and easily burned. They are not too hard to replace. HTH

That happened on my GP38 one time. it derailed followed by a puff of smoke. I took it apart and sure enough the pickup wires from the truck to the board were cooked. I repaired them and all was good. Now I run a 5 volt fuse on my TE instead of the 10 they recommend so that pops fast before any damage can be done.

Take it apart Doug and see what is burned.

A 5 amp fuse. But I get your point.

amp volt, radius diameter train locomotive, switch turnout ,some people are really picky on the proper verbiage usage.

Pete, well, as an electronic tech, I know the difference between pressure (volts) and flow (amps). So, yea, I can be a real snot about electronic terms.

Don’t forget ties/sleepers! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

And points, turnout, track switch, and divergence.

But its the misuse of electronic terms that really gives me fits. Especially when someone calls an power issue a “Short”.

Yes, you can remove the motor blocks and hard wire them directly. I’ve done it three times.

Both of these:

And they are in this model:

And if you add a polyswitch between the track pickups between the front and rear wheels, a derailment won’t melt stuff again.

Greg

Thanks guys. I know what one of my projects will be this week!

Greg is right, poly switches and they cool off and reset!! For more current I place them in parallel. These are also great for powered switch frogs.