Large Scale Central

Southern Pacific NG rolling stock

Hey guys, sorry if this has been brought up before, I searched the forums with no luck.

I am trying to find rolling stock for my Accucraft narrow gauge SP 10-wheeler. I know Accucraft doesn’t make rolling stock specific for SP, and I am having a hard time finding the SP cars made by Bachmann.

What’s my best bet? I have looked for kit form as well and now that Phil’s is no longer producing, finding a kit within the 75-150 dollar range seems hard to come by.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

you need to look @ Hartford products. I believe there are at least one boxcar kit available. I also know that Bob Hartford is working on other SP narrow gauge items that may not be available thru the Ozark miniatures/Hartford product site. Pm for details.

Al P.

Matt - I have a Bachmann SP boxcar (#38 I think). I’d do an even swap for an unlettered or data only in Bachmann or AMS if you cover freight both ways. It’s been run so not in perfect condition. I do have the box.

Matt,

Accucraft made some SP flats and Gons. They show up on the Bay from time to time.

Thanks for kicking me that feedback.

I will have to take a further look into the detail kit world. After Phil quit making the kits, it seems as if this is about the only option?

I also found that a gentleman named Andre’ Schofield used to manufacture plastic kits that you could essentially layer the wood and styrene on top of to create your piece of rolling stock. I saw his last post and activity was a couple of years ago though, so any idea if any of these kits are still around or if he is making them still?

And as far at the scratch building realm, is Ozark the only company that supplies the parts? Or are there multiple?

Thanks!

And as far at the scratch building realm, is Ozark the only company that supplies the parts?

Ozark bought Bob Hartford’s kit business and they are re-releasing the kits. They have the SP Boxcar and ventilated boxcar, but they aren’t in the price range you are looking for.

Are you after scale models of SP equipment, or just ‘generic’ cars that the manufacturer labelled for the SP, like Bachmann does?

Hey Pete,

I did see those, and they are beautiful kits. The amount of detail is incredible.

The stock i am looking for doesn’t have to be specific in detail. If Phil’s was still around I would’ve been buying more of his kits, I loved those.

Honestly I am more “concerned” with the size and something that was “similar” to what the SPNG ran. Which going through a lot of books and pictures, were truly pretty simple as far as lettering went, especially towards the end.

All it takes is some Bachmann Spectrum or Accucraft cars in any road name, some paint and decals from Stan. The SPNG’s markings and logos were not too fancy.

Well gents, I tracked some down. I found the box car lettered for the SP at MD trains. Price seemed pretty reasonable for car, about 140 out the door. l Had never heard of the company until I found them during a search. They have a heck of an inventory including a lot of Accucraft.

I also found the red oxide tank car on sale for 45 bucks on the favorite spot’s website. Not too shabby!

Thanks again for the feedback. Hope you all take care

Matt