Large Scale Central

Accucraft Diner Interior Project

I thought it would be nice to have a dining car with my MTH UP fleet, but they didn’t make one. Accucraft brought out their streamliner cars and Kidman’s tracked down a UP diner for me. Yeah, the cars are longer, 29.5" compared to MTH’s 27". But what the heck! Bob Weltyk has a nice video on youTube on how he did his diner and it and a phone call from him inspired me to tackle the interior.

Accucraft really packed the seats/tables close together with NO way to get some figures in. I wanted to keep the tables centered on the windows so I took them off and narrowed them and the seats some. The seats were coach seats, so I sanded off the arms on the sides to get more of a chair look and easier to get figures in.

We have some UP dinnerware so I set it up and took a picture of it and shopped it into 4 place settings on a table to fit the narrow tables. Some overhang on the end to simulate the table cloth hanging over the edge. Plastic rod for the glasses on the table give a 3-D effect that way. Jim Carter had done that to one of his diners a few years back. I printed off a page of them and cut them up and attached them with double sided tape. Figures are hot glued in.

Here all the tables are done and the glasses glued on. I made the cooks shorter also. They still don’t show up good! The pots are plastic tubing painted silver.

Detail shot of the diner from the outside. I lightened it up some to show the interior better.

I think the printed table tops give the illusion well enough, considering they will be seen as the car goes by.

Looks great Jerry!

Jerry to highlight the chefs whites, take a dark color powder and rub it in with a Q-tip. Then blow off the excess. This will highlight the creases and wrinkles.

Great job Jerry. Far more detailed than I could do, but you’ve given me reason to try on a AMS J/S car this winter. Hope the body comes off as easily as your streamliner. Love the detail on the tables. Makes it. Is that car illuminated?

i think, your time and effort were well spent.

and, yes, the combination of printed and three dimensional does it!