Large Scale Central

Accucraft 1:32 Scale couplers

My question is, If you are buying a piece of 1:32 equipment from Accucraft these days, what does it have for couplers?

Background behind the question:

I’m modeling the EBT in 1:20.3 scale and would like to use Accucraft’s 1:32 scale couplers to represent the EBT’s 3/4 size couplers. The problem is they have not been available for more than a year from said manufacturer. So, I began to wonder what are they supplying with new 1:32 scale rolling stock and locos? I’m very close to giving up on Accucraft and going with Kadee, but I really like the appearance of Accucraft’s coupler much more.

Sincerely,

Coming un-coupled

Randy, you could always gum-band em together. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Randy…Kadee has a smaller and a larger version of its large-scale coupler (I forget the numbers); would either one work? Maybe the smaller one?

John, they might work, but they don’t look nearly as good as the Accucraft coupler

Randy,

I would check with Kevin Strong, I think he uses the Accu 1.32 coupler as it scales out to the 3/4 size coupler the EBT used. I remember reading about it in one of his posts but can’t remember which post it was in.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, Yeah, Kevin is exactly where I got the idea from. When modeling the EBT in this scale, one only needs to look at Kevin’s work for a lifetime of inspiration. The problem is unless you had a good stockpile on hand they are gone for more than a year now. I’ve been told by Accucraft that they would like or are trying to get more made, but that was also a year ago.

John, David hit it spot on, I know what Kadee coupler I would use but I just don’t like the look of them. (love their reliability) I’m lucky enough to own one Rich Yoder 3 bay hopper and it’s a gorgeous model except for the glaring wart on each end of the car, a Kadee coupler. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

SO, What come on Accucraft’s 1:32 stuff right now? Anyone want to create a petition to persuade them to make more? I’d commit to a pre order.

I need some 1/32 couplers too. Jason is the guy to get them in the pipeline - let me ask him what the minimum order will be.

Sure, Pete, you could order a few thousand of them things and then open up your own 1:32 Acucraft coupler store. After selling Randy what he needs, and what all the other guys need, you could retire. Then when you send us pictures from Bermuda, we can all be jealous.

Randy, you do have a good point. What are they putting on the 1:32 cars. Or is this a Chinese manufacturing thing? Make the cars and only a few spare parts, so there aren’t enough spare parts to go around.

Hey Pete, Glad to see someone else is interested in some. I’ll be very interested to see what Jason can work since I know he is on good terms with the folks at Accucraft. I’d be in for 25 pair.

The only hope I see is that they still do list them in the E-store, and from what I’ve seen that can (sometimes) indicate a second run at some point. It the listing were gone, I think all hope would be gone with it.

David, That’s what I’m wondering. I see a few scenarios. One would be that the couplers on the current 1:32 equipment aren’t the same and are custom for each item. Two, might be that they have a stockpile allocated to cover any 1:32 projects they have in the works right now, but not enough to sell to the masses. I really find it hard to believe they would develop different couplers for each item when they have a proven design and tooling for it. So I think it might be option 2. I just hope they can get another run made to sell stand alone coupler sets to those in need.

Spring hopes eternal.

Eternal hope springs.

I just picked up 6 pair that Caboose Hobbies had found under a rock while cleaning out their storerooms. I felt like I had won the lottery! I don’t know what Accucraft is shipping with their 1:32 stuff; I know they used to have a non-operating coupler that they used prior to coming out with the operating version. You would think they’d have some on hand for their new products, but there’s also the possibility that they use a brass version with their 1:32 stuff. I know some of the 1:20 locos have brass versions of their 1:20 coupler.

The Kadee #1 scale coupler are a very close match to the Accucraft couplers, however, stick to the old-style couplers with the spring on the outside. The newer style (e-type?) couplers look more prototypical, but they have a smaller knuckle on them–small enough to slip out of an Accucraft 1:32 coupler even if it’s closed if the weight of the train is sufficient. I used them on two recent projects, and I’m glad they’re both small switchers, so they won’t normally be pulling long trains where that would be an issue. (They do stay coupled well to the older Kadee couplers.)

I’m always down to buy a few more pair if someone’s starting a list of interested parties.

Later,

K

Congrats on hitting the lotto Kevin! I guess it pays to play.

Another option I was not thinking of, non operational couplers. I could see them doing that. Thanks for the info on the two variants of the Kadee as well. That will be very good to know if I have to take that route. I’ll keep in contact with Pete on this and make sure you know if any thing starts to happen.

John Passaro said:

Eternal hope springs.

Took a leak in it 20yrs ago!

David and John, the springs go inside the couplers, unless I have to resort to Kadees.

" Rooster " said:

John Passaro said:

Eternal hope springs.

Took a leak in it 20yrs ago!

I thought that water tasted funny… No more spring water for me.

Randy, I heard from Jason he has some 1/32nd couplers back in stock (www.thetraindepartment.com.) Leave a few for me . . .

Ones on my dining car are the non-operating kind. I’ve heard guys making up long trains like to use them.

Jerry Barnes said:

Ones on my dining car are the non-operating kind. I’ve heard guys making up long trains like to use them.

The problem for me was, they don’t couple to anything else I run. They swap out easily to KD #1s though.

Thanks guys, So it’s as Kevin suggested, just dummy couplers. Luckily, I moved quickly upon Pete’s notice and was able to order 15 pair from Accucraft. They told me this was a second run, but they were almost out again!

That should tell them something.