Large Scale Central

Kneeling, Praying to the Railroad Gods

I was taken (to my mind) a bit to task in another thread, Under-the-deck train storage project, so as suggested by others this perhaps deserves its own topic. 

Even though my layout is raised and indoors, I have many occasions to kneel when working on it or other household tasks.  I have over the years tried just about every kneepad on the market, even the Proknee, all to varying levels of success.  I look at these as just another "tool" and since it is health related I see no reason to cut corners or cheap-out.  

For me, the following two have provided the best combination of ease of use and protection.  Your mileage may vary. 

1.  ErgoKneel kneeling pads, I've got 3.  I've had bad knees since high school, a condition called Osgood-Schlatter disease, that I'm still waiting to outgrow.  These are the best kneelers that I have ever found, highly recommended.

2.  Blaklader work pants with gel kneepads.  Though "spendy" they have lasted quite a while and provide reasonable protection when getting down.

Mark

p.s.  I have absolutely no commercial or financial interest in this or any other product that I have recommended in the past or may in the future.

p.p.s. I was going to place this in Tools and Tips section, but thought the General Discussion was probably just a good.

I’ve found that the seat cushion/flotation device we used in our canoes works well as knee pads in the garden. They also double as seat cushion/flotation devices in your canoe. Available everywhere for $15.00 to $25.00

I have a dense foam pad that is marketed as a gardening kneeling pad. It may be, but it is a bit firm for my knees. I have a Xerox issued pad, that is a similar material to what Steve describes, and it works rather well. But my knees are shot, and have been for my whole adult life. So I sit on my butt, no surprise there, when I have to work on stuff down low. Sitting on my butt doesn’t strain my knees at all, well, until l I try and get up that is.

You can get kick boards that the kids use to learn to swim. Usually cheap at a place like 5 Below (no endorsement).

Lou Luczu said:

You can get kick boards that the kids use to learn to swim. Usually cheap at a place like 5 Below (no endorsement).

Lou,

That is exactly what I use. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I used to have a pair of hard plastic knee pads with padded cloth on the inside. Loved them wish I had them but they were stolen and I haven’t replaced them

i got a pair of… hmmm… don’t know, what they are called. kneepads?

they consist of some foam padding sewn to elastic bandages.

i use them to get under my layout, as well as for rescue duty (that includes a lot of sliding around on knees)

in the garden i dont use them. there i let others do then kneeling.

the Lowes near me has several different styles and price ranges of knee pads, and since I have desert landscaping ( rock rock and more rock) I have 2 pair of knee pads, about $30.00 a pair that I use. They are mid range on the prices and so far have held up well to holding my fat large frame comfortably

Pete

I thought a Butt Modeler wouldn’t need kneeling pads ???

I have a pair of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/clc-ultraflex-non-skid-kneepads?cm_vc=-10005 I bought at Home Depot many years ago. I use them primarily when the club does road shows for set up and tear down. Set up can be up to 6 hours up and down laying out and joining track sections. On the flip side, tear down will usually be up to two solid hours on my knees breaking down the sections. My knees. like Maynard’s, have been gone for a lot of years, and these WORK. Even after two yours, I can walk like a normal person. I purchased a second set in reserve for when the first set wears out…and it doesn’t look like that will be too soon.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Pete

I thought a Butt Modeler wouldn’t need kneeling pads ???

Butt, if I am going to model them, it helps to be at eye level with them.

Hmm…kneeling and praying to the Railroad Gods. I have been doing it all wrong. I usually stand and curse the Railroad demons. Sometimes I throw things at them. Not sure my actions have provided better results but I do get some interesting looks from the neighbors on occasion. One (a retired Navy Chief) even congratulated me once for teaching him some words he did not know.

Maybe that would be worthy of its own thread. Anybody interested in broadening your vocabulary?

…Funny, BD is giving me the same look as my neighbors.

Sean , right now the knee pads are used at work and when attempting to kill a bush in my back yard. See Garden section for my trials and struggles for that. When time comes to become a real RR guy I will have a good knowledge on which ones are better.

David, I am still struggling with ground level or attempting to raise up things and still keep it IN the garden. Feeling Devons pain on too much reading!

My railroad is at ground level. I wasn’t going to build beds or tables in my yard. I like the trains being in the yard and garden, even though my knees…

That’s why I sit on my butt, on a pad, on the ground, when I work on my railroad. Its works out just fine, until I stand up, or, don’t stand up, and crawl on all fours over to a chair, so I can use it to pull myself up.

Though I don’t use one, there are also the bench type kneelers. Bought one for my old mother and it provided the needed assistance for her to continue to be able to do a bit of work in her garden.