Large Scale Central

Starting Steam

Lets say I might have a few dollars coming my way- Maybe. I hope. And I would like to get into steam so perhaps I would like to spend said dollars. I was thinking perhaps a Ruby (new if possible, do they exist?) or a used 1/29 scale Accucraft something? The 0-6-0 or 0-4-0 little ones? I’m not seeing a lot of hope in google searches, any advice on finding a first steamer along those lines?

Oh my, THE question,

I’d love to help but more info is needed. What type of railroad do you have/like? Are you interested in narrow or standard gauge? How wide are your curves? Do you want to just run or are you planning operations?

I would not recommend a Ruby, too limited in my opinion. If that is the type you want, get a Roundhouse Sammie. For standard gauge an Accucraft (AML?) 0-6-0 switcher with tender would be an excellent choice. If you like geared locos an Accucraft 2 cyl Shay is great. If you have grades or just like smaller locos choices are abundant in the Regner easy line, I recommend the Konrad. I also like the Cricket but run times are quite short.

There are many choices and many opinions and more will be rendered i’m sure. Like chips, you can’t have just one, and if you must it is very hard to choose, I think.

Good luck,

Tom

As mentioned above, your grades and curves will be a determining factor. Rod locomotives don’t do well on grades. I have 4% and more in some spots with wide curves. My Accucraft 2 Cyl Shay will pull a few cars and a light caboose up that steep grade.

Yes, I’m sure this is one of those ubiquitous sorts of questions, I apologize but you guys seem quite knowledgeable so I figured I’d give it a shot.

My particulars- Small grade, maybe 1%. I have reasonable curves, 9-10ft radius or so. Mostly run std gauge Aristo and USA (battery) diesels so I would prefer something at or near that scale but don’t care all that much.

Also looking for something smaller in size, not some giant beast. (And about $1K or less if possible)

Also, this is going to sound kinda goofy but one of the reasons I want to get a steamer is to adapt my control system to it- so that is also a requirement, the ability to put servos in to control things.

What I’m seeing as I browse about is there is not much out there new, if I want something it’s going to have to be used and probably from evil bay (which I do not like dealing with)

I would be open to a kit, but can’t do any machining, it would have to be a ‘bolt together’ thing.

Alrighty then,

For you I highly recommend the Accucraft (AML I think-they have a number of divisions) 0-6-0 switcher with tender, it would fit in with the other equipment you have. The fuel tank is in the tender and the cab is still a bit small but I think getting servos in there would be OK. They were very popular when first released (I wrote the review for Steam In The Garden ) and the street price was about a grand.

I hear you about ebay. I can keep my eyes open for you. I recommend you contact Jay Kovac at thetraindepartment.com as he might know of one for sale. I believe the SitG website has a swap shop where you could place a wanted note. Mylargescale.com has a very active live steam section where you could also ask for advice and one for sale. I’m always amused at the responses, the same folks promoting the same locomotives, guess I do it too to some extent. :wink:

I have been exclusively live steam for over 20 years and love it! I’m a modeler not an engineer so I make mods, some day I’ll build a loco from scratch. Obviously I enjoy this niche part of the hobby and wish you the very best in joining our ranks. As always, see if you can find a local enthusiast to mentor you. And most of all…

Have fun,

Tom

Martin

We would like pictures of the newly acquired locomotive once you decide!

Of course. However, while I would love to get a 1/29 Accucraft USRA 0-6-0 or even an 0-4-0, they seem to be scarce as hens teeth. And certainly no new ones are around that I can find.

Ruby is in stock here and there- new in box. Not from not evil bay even. Legit places. I like that. Ruby has some cool mods I have seen as I google about.

I have five days. We shall see.

I second the recommendation to contact Jay Kovac. He sometimes stocks some used locos.

Martin I think you’ve gotten some good advice here. I really like the Roundhouse locos but they are at the top of your range and have very specific looks that may or may not be what you’re after. I’ve never owned a Round house but have watched plenty of them running like clocks.

I have owned a Ruby. I bought it as a kit and it’s the 1/2" cylinder version. You definitely want that, as it slows the speed demon down a bit. Look for 4 bolts on the cylinder heads. My Biggest beef with the Ruby is it’s lack of sight glass and lack of a port to inject water while running. (other than the fill port under the sand dome) They are robust and run well once properly timed. I had a lot of fun with mine and then decided to take it to the next level. I, as do you, want R/C in my steam locos. I did one run session where I had a very hastily made insert holding servos for throttle and Johnson bar. The control was amazing and so fun until the glue bond on a servo mount broke. I was hooked and began to disassemble the Ruby for it’s transformation:

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22725/ruby-bash-1-20-3-0-4-0-build

Alas, it’s been 3-4 years, and still not quite done. Although I did do some brief work on the cab last night. I’m going to try Craig’s approach of even just 15 minutes a night.

I think a Ruby can be a good choice as long as you know that you will have to refill with a Goodall valve under steam, without doing extensive boiler reworking. It will run a good 30-40 minutes with one fill of butane depending on use. With R/C fitted it can be a fun capable switcher. I also recommend you talk to Jason, for the Ruby he sells a replacement throttle needle that really smooths out the stock “all or nothing” needle valve.

Good luck in your search, I’ll be interested to see what you land on.

Martin Ebay has a decent deal on a Roundhouse Sammie. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LN-SCARCE-ENGLANDs-ROUNDHOUSE-LIVE-STEAM-SAMMIE-LOCOMOTIVE-BUTANE-FIRED-w-BOX-/272314705373?hash=item3f6738a5dd:g:xZ4AAOSwGIRXaMQl

I would give Jay a call from the Train Department first and see what he can do. The Ruby is nice but I think you would be happier with an Accucraft AML switcher. Sometimes the Ruby needs some work to get it to run really well. The Roundhouse you can beat. The Sammie is a nice one and will do much better on small grades then the Ruby. Check out the Regner Easy Line for some neat geared steamers or Wuhu brand they have a nice Porter and Gypse Locomotive.

I have a bunch of videos with a good selection of steamers in the $1000 and less range.

https://www.youtube.com/user/07461snowshoe/videos

Another option is the Bellflower Cricket http://www.cricketlivesteammotor.com/ Art is great to deal with

https://youtu.be/NMQyWxksSRQ

Many thanks for all the advice. I was leaning toward a Ruby but I may have a shot at an AML 1/29 0-6-0. Which I would prefer. I think. I see from pictures that it has a control horn in the cab, can I fit a couple of small servos in there? The control aspect is rather important to my development efforts so even though I love the looks of the 0-6-0 and it fits in my overall scheme and scale, it really needs to be R/C controllable.

You should be able to R/C it. Use micro servos and maybe put the battery under the roof or in the tender if it fits. worst case just use one servo for the throttle and manually do the forward and reverse. If the Ruby can be R/C I dont see why you wont be able to with the 0-6-0.

There were 2 USA 0-6-0s on sale at Diamondhead a couple of years ago - one new from Richard Jacobs (?)

I agree they will fit your layout. Almost any Accucraft loco around $1K will be a better choice than the Ruby. More controllable and more features,and easier to fit r/c. You get what you pay for.

There was an AML 0-6-0 at Dimondhead this year. I’ll check to see if it sold as I know who owns it. Like new and is not to hard to RC Later RJD