Large Scale Central

Transformer

I need to know what a good transformer would be for the layout. Something happened to the Aristo-Craft Crest transformer and the 24 volt side no longer works. I need to replace with one that can produce 12 to 24 volts as the Crest did. Any suggestions. Thanks.

IMO, if you get a Bridgewerks with enough amps to meet your needs, you will be pleased with it.

I’ve been using the old trusty Meanwell transformers. They seen to do a good job.

-Kevin.

Ron,

I have to ask the question…are we talking transformer or controller? They are different items. If you are talking a transformer, converting 115VAC to 24VDC, I would recommend a Meanwell switching power supply. They are bullet proof, and in a 10-20 amp variety. They can be purchased on eBay for 35-50 bucks and you will never need another one unless you do something really bad to it.

If you are looking for a controller, then I will echo the Bridgewerks. They are also near bullet proof and their service is stellar should you ever have an issue.

Bob C.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Ron,

I have to ask the question…are we talking transformer or controller?

Bob C.

I have to ask the question… why this is in the Conventions,Shows and Clubs category with quite a few responses at that?

David…I guess some people don’t read very well, and don’t look at the topic titles…or don’t care…!!

Fred kinda like…

You have my sincerest apologies Rooster and Fred. Next time I will tell the OP that he needs to move his question to the proper CATEGORY before I can answer his query.

Isn’t it amazing how some folks are so quick to point out the mistakes of others, but they cannot accept someone even suggesting that they made an error?

Knowing Crest at 24 volts is DC and a power pack, I did not question the original post.

Meanwell is a great choice for replacement . I have s 30 volt 20 amp unit that has no fan and has a safe power input cord (read child proof).

There are many inexpensive supplies out there but have exposed live A/C input terminals and need to be in an enclosure with airflow to be safe.

Rooster, I am talking transformer. I have Aristo Craft Train Engineer as the controller.

Will a Maxwell work with the Train Engineer? I have two Train Engineers I run off the same power supply and has worked well. I want to replace the bad one with something that will run the same number of trains with no problem.

Ron,

The name was Meanwell, but there are other brands as well.

Look at this link… http://www.mpja.com/24-Volt-Power-Supply-45A-100W-Switching-Hengfu/productinfo/16015+PS/

You will need to add a power cord and provide an enclosure as these are designed to go inside electronics. The terminals are semi-exposed. I got an off brand from the above source and it has suited my needs.

Make sure it has the Amps for your trains, go to a higher wattage if needed.

John

John, the transformer you linked to has an output of 24VDC which should take care of the two trains I run. It has enough screws on the power strip to take care of the two Train Engineer receivers.

Ron,

You need to know the combined amps of your trains. There are several 24v units of different amperage. The first one I came across has 4.5 amps which is on the low end for 2 trains of unknown needs.

This one has more amps… http://www.mpja.com/24-Volt-Power-Supply-65A-150W-Switching-Hengfu/productinfo/16032+PS/

I was giving you the link and this advice; get the larger you can afford. You don’t give your train amps, they draw what they need. I can’t guess your needs. Lights, sound, grades and multiple motors all affect the draw.

You will need to add a power cord…

John

Since the 27 mhz receiver is rated at 10 amps output, 2 of these can go to 20 but only if you have many engines and lit passenger cars!!

Original post did not have this kind of power needs and is running with both ties to the Aristo supply which mine was 13 amps at 24 volts.

So, a meanwell of 24 volts and 13 amps would be a great replacement power supply (these are power supplies, not transformers as transformers are AC only, power supplies provide DC).

The USA engines I run pull a very small amps. I run a couple of GP-30’s on one train and a GP-38-2 on the other and I they pull less than 5 amps.

The inner city RR in Boston has a 2 track module setup with a pair of 27mhz train engineers.

I run these with separate 6.5 amp 24 volt supplies and we never had a problem.

Issue with a single supply is a derailment would cause both TE’s to shut down, with separate supplies this can not occur.

Also, remember the 27 mhz units are 10 amps on PWC with a fan installed, 8 amps linear and only 3 amps if no fan (manual states 5).

Suggestion:

Consider the MRC 10 AMP power pack/controller. It has a cooling fan and large handle on the rheostat for easy use. I have had one for five years and NO problems. It puts out the power to run at least two locos at once and is reasonable in cost – at least it was at $150.00

I also have the Crest 10 am power supply with four Aristo controllers controlling four sections of the layout. The MRC would be an easy replacement for the Crest.

Wendell

The meanwell can be had for about $60 for a 10 amp unit, way cheaper than the MRC.

(I own the MRC “Power G” myself and use it for DC operation)

Since Ron already has the throttle/controller, all he needs is a power supply and can buy a 20 amp meanwell that will give full capability to his two Crest 10 amp throttles.

Greg