Large Scale Central

Bachmann K27 Instructions

Yesterday I picked up a used Bachmann K27 for $100. I knew it would have problems. The common problem is the axle gear is broken and that is the first problem. Fortunately, NWSL has a replacement gear and going to order it tomorrow.

However, it does not look like Bachmann has instructions on how to disassemble the drive to replace the gear.

Does anyone know or have a PDF etc on the steps?

Hang on.

Something ain’t right.

K-27’s for $100…parts alone are worth more than that.

Which gear?

If you’re gonna have problems, it’s the lock pins on the big, wide brass axle gear, easily fixed.

If you’re taking OF 2-8-0, instructions will do you no good as NWSL did not want my input…and you need to shim the gear with nylon shims inside the gearbox of the axle gearbox bushings will fall out and you’ll have stripped gears again.

Elucidate specific model and specific gear, please.

TOC

Yes, it is the axle gear that is broken. It is a 25 tooth gear.

From doing some searches this looks like the first production run, there is only two switched inside the smoke box.

So is there any instructions on how to repair and improve the beast?

I have not paid for this engine yet, I have it to look at first. Came from a dealer who took it on trade and does not repair Bachmann equipment.

If it is worth more in parts that might be a better option.

Did notice Bachmann has the axle drive gear assembly on the website. would that be a better option than trying to use the NWSL gear?

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_141&products_id=530

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

Hang on.

Something ain’t right.

K-27’s for $100…parts alone are worth more than that.

Which gear?

If you’re gonna have problems, it’s the lock pins on the big, wide brass axle gear, easily fixed.

If you’re taking OF 2-8-0, instructions will do you no good as NWSL did not want my input…and you need to shim the gear with nylon shims inside the gearbox of the axle gearbox bushings will fall out and you’ll have stripped gears again.

Elucidate specific model and specific gear, please.

TOC

X

Dennis

This is a first. These gears are large metal ones and I have never seen one broken. Sure would appreciate a photo. I have also never seen a NWSL replacement gear for a K-27

Something is wrong from your email however. There was only one production run for the K27 split in two parts. The second part has metal tender trucks and a few other upgrades.

However they all have three switches behind the smokebox door none have two switches. If the axle gear that is broken is not metal the locomotive is not a K-27. If you only have two switches behind the smokebox door the locomotive is not a Bachmann K-27.

Can you clarify.

Thanks

Stan

You are correct Stan, in my haste in posting I did not check the engine type correctly. it is really a 2-8-0 Consolidation.

How do I get the egg off my face.

Stan Ames said:

Dennis

This is a first. These gears are large metal ones and I have never seen one broken. Sure would appreciate a photo. I have also never seen a NWSL replacement gear for a K-27

Something is wrong from your email however. There was only one production run for the K27 split in two parts. The second part has metal tender trucks and a few other upgrades.

However they all have three switches behind the smokebox door none have two switches. If the axle gear that is broken is not metal the locomotive is not a K-27. If you only have two switches behind the smokebox door the locomotive is not a Bachmann K-27.

Can you clarify.

Thanks

Stan

Dennis Cherry said:

Rooster? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Get a NWSL gear, machined Delrin, press it on with a small socket in a vise.

Drop it into the gearbox with the oillite bearings and find what you need for shims. Metal will work, but I have various nylon that I open up the holes a bit with a hole punch.

Really quite easy, 20 minutes, done them during an OPS session for folks.

K-27’s do, in fact, shear the pins holding the gear to the axle…they are plastic of all things.

Shaped like a mailbox…round on one side, square on the other.

I just used some square brass tuning and pressed it in, and it still works today.

Go figure…metal wheels, axles, gears, gearbox…and they “weak link” it with plastic.

I am not allowed to tell you what I think of that stupidity in Bob’s Living Room.

Dennis Cherry said:

You are correct Stan, in my haste in posting I did not check the engine type correctly. it is really a 2-8-0 Consolidation.

Dennis

No problem, we all make mistakes.

I strongly recommend the Bachmann metal gear.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=10285

If you really want the NWSL gear I have a new one (2226-6) I could send you one for $10

Stan

Designers like to put a weak link in designs. I guess its the mechanical equivalent to a fuse. I do not know why.

Stan Ames said:

Dennis Cherry said:

Dennis

No problem, we all make mistakes.

I strongly recommend the Bachmann metal gear.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=10285

If you really want the NWSL gear I have a new one (2226-6) I could send you one for $10

Stan

Thanks Stan: If I keep it there are some other small missing parts I have to order also. Still making my list. Should only cost about $30.00 in parts.

Dennis

Instructions for changing the 2-8-0 gear can be found here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20755.0.html

Later,

K

Take care when you remove the axles that you don’t let the little recessed suspension springs behind them pop out and go missing. Don’t ask me how I know but thankfully I have a length of the right size compression type I could cut to size to replace the “de-materialized” ones. Max.