Large Scale Central

Up scaling the W&Q

I started out modeling 1:20 scale and have built quite a bit of stuff including stations, houses and churches. With my migration to 7/8th scale some of the scenes didnt quite look right. I have been slowly making new buildings on an as-I-felt-like-it basis but the Narrow Gauge Convention is coming to town and SOMETHING had to be done!

My first issue was the Winnegance station. I built a new building to 7/8th scale only slightly larger than the previous building ( much smaller prototype )

here it is with the combine waiting at the platform.

the road superintendent lives across the road. The house is 1:20 and several years old. I located it where the church had been, far enough removed from the station to not look out of place

The church was moved back to a spot with a nice view of the railway. I added a mossy lawn as the town green. here is the church as seen from from the combine at the station.

I made a water tower WW&F style. the tank is boxed in so it can be kept heated in the winter.

while I was at it, I made a little shed, thinking of the waterfront as a lobsterman’s shed but I havent yet got the spot for it so it will serve Captain Perry’s Store as extra storage.

What really got me going on this project was up by the Young’s Ferry Flag station. the old one was a 1:20 version of the Alna Center station on the WW&F…nice but didnt look right with a 7/8th train stopping. I had also re-landscaped the area due to the demise of the hemlock trees in the area. I planted a bunchy of native spruce and fir trees which look good but something still was missing. So I made a little flag station based on the WW&F tool shed which dated to the old days where it served as a section house then a flag station at Sheepscot where the museum is today.

the buildings are all plywood with fabricated wood or molded plastic windows. the siding is milled with a dado blade on my table saw…one clapboard at a time. the shingle buildings just were cut across the grain rather than with the grain for the clapboards.

Well done Eric, Im dabbling a bit with 7/8ths also. Easier to see.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice!

You’re mighty quick, Great work Eric !

If you donated the old buildings to Devon …

Nice! Looking forward to seeing it in person in September!

Later,

K

Eric, do you leave your buildings out all winter, and if so, how do you preserve them against the snow and wet?

I do Leave them out all year… They stand up fine to snow and rain. They are painted with exterior grade paint. And the windows provide good ventilating. I keep them out of the dirt. My oldest building a water tower is enter than 25 years old, outside most of the time. It could stand new roof shingles.

Super job Eric. Thanks for all the time your putting in in behalf of the convention. Seeing your place will be one of the highlights on my list. I’m guessing you just leave the “glass” out of the windows to provide that venting? Do you paint the interiors too, so they are protected fro water that gets through the windows?