Large Scale Central

1:1 Scale Track Loop

Just west of downtown Delphi, Louisiana, is an industry with three big tanks or bins serviced with a loop of track. Interesting approach, and it makes sense. I have never seen it before, but as a dedicated roundy-rounder (IARRR #26) I like it a lot. The satellite photo on Google Maps shows a long string of cars in the loop.

What picture?

The satellite picture on Google Maps, Chuck. Sorry, but I’ve not figured out how to copy one of those Google photos.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/32°27’12.7"N+91°30’51.0"W/@32.4535225,-91.5163517,613m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.453518!4d-91.514163

There’s a folded dogbone in Tucson and it’s double tracked!

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1230656,-110.8358902,1897m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hope this takes you there, I can’t figure out capturing a shot fer ya.

Beside S. Kolb rd and just north of the freeway I-10 and the UP RR. They hold cars for local biz, I think.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1230656,-110.8358902,1897m/data=!3m1!1e3

or

Rats

Delphi-LA by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Tucson-AZ_Dogbone by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Lots of the larger coal loaders have a giant loop. Train comes in, slowly goes around the loop, gets loaded, comes back out…

Here is one of my favorites, Washington DC Metro Yard in Alexandria, VA. I get to drive past this every once in a while. Looks like it should be on a 4 x 8 piece of plywood layout.

WMATA_RailyardAlexAV by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Scott

Railex Yard near Pasco, Washington. Train pulls into the long white building with the refrigerator cars running and cold and the fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded inside the railcars while inside the refrigerated building.

Railex_Yard by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Railroad Museums with roundy-rounds:

Nevada

NVRailMuseum by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Colorado

CO_RailroadMuseum by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

If one of you vetran picture copier palcers look at the west side of Lordsburg NM there is a loop and a reveres loop on the UP tracks there. I cannot figure out how to get it from there( Google) to here. its an interchange between UP and Eastern AZ RR, and storage tracks

Lordsburg, NM

LordsburgNM by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Here’s the remnants of an abandoned railway out in the middle of the desert west of Albequerque, NM. Can anyone guess the name and when it was in operation? (I’ll try to post the answer this evening if I can get the Historical Imagery on Google Earth to not give me fits.)

RioPuercoNMAfter by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

Bob McCown said:

Lots of the larger coal loaders have a giant loop. Train comes in, slowly goes around the loop, gets loaded, comes back out…

And when they arrive at the coal plant the same applies big loop to unload coal hoppers. Later RJD

If the real estate is available, this scheme is the most efficient. No shuttling, backing and setting out and picking up. Just pull in, pull through, and on you go. Perfect.

Andrew, yea. The NMRA modular set up is a balloon track on one end to a Wye on the other. The balloon tack is easy peasy, the Wye is a pain in the…

But its nice to know the 1:1 guys do roundy roundys too. Then our model railroad set ups, going roundy roundy can actually be said to be sort of prototypical.

Scott McDonald said:

Here’s the remnants of an abandoned railway out in the middle of the desert west of Albequerque, NM. Can anyone guess the name and when it was in operation? (I’ll try to post the answer this evening if I can get the Historical Imagery on Google Earth to not give me fits.)

RioPuercoNMAfter by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

The northern line is so straight … rocket sled testing?

John

Its the railroad built for the movie “The Lone Ranger” with Johnny Depp. Here are the overheads from 2012.

LoneRangerSite by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

LoneRangerSite2 by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

LoneRangerSite3 by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

LoneRangerSite4 by Scott McDonald, on Flickr

I thought they had to restore the land to the condition it was in before they were there.

David,

They did all they could. Everything was removed. Track, ties, buildings. Once the desert is scarred, it takes a long time for nature to replace and recover. You can go to Death Valley and still see the tracks made by the Twenty Mule teams.