Forums Vendors and Manufacturers Ads and Announcements
  • Topic: GLX SCALE MODELS - 3D PRINTING

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 11, 2016 8:55 AM EDT
      • OTTAWA, Ontario

• Thanks

GLX SCALE MODELS - 3D PRINTING

In the recent past, I have offered to large scale modelers resin castings of Aristocraft Replacement Parts. Some of you have contacted me with an order. The support of the members of this forum and my local buddies is much appreciated. To provide a better quality product, I have recently acquired a second 3D printer ( filament type ) to my production equipment. Along with my SLA type machine that makes UHD small parts, I can now make many out of production replacement parts that could not be made by resin casting & silicone mold making. The neat advantage of 3D printing is that the CAD design required to make the new part can be up upgraded to make a better part than the original.

Here is one example, the Pilot Mount for a Pacific locomotive. Certain features on the original are actually off center. Most likely due to machinist's errors during the injection mold making process. Can't remember exactly which ones but I found it strange while I was measuring up the part & drawing the CAD file. Secondly, many modelers comment that the Pilot breaks off if the tip is low and hits the track. For this, I reconfigured the area below the mounting screw holes so that there is backing to provide a better rest for the back of the pilot supports.

I'd like to know if there are further improvements that can be done to this part.

Here's a picture of the new part printed in ABS and painted black.

I have many other parts on my website at: 

http://glxscalemodels.com/aristocraft-3d-printed-replacement-parts-/

Thank you

Gilbert

This post was edited by GILBERT LACROIX at March 20, 2017 9:46 AM EDT
    • June 11, 2016 9:12 AM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

I am one of Gilbert's satisfied customers. I had tried to get a replacement bearing end cap from Aristo for a few years before their demise. But of course, they didn't stock a lot of parts. I had thought of trying to cast my own, but the fine detail on the cap had me unsure that I could replicate it with a casting. Gilbert made a set of the end caps for me, and they are top notch.

I am glad that someone is providing parts for the orphaned Aristo line. And I am a happy customer of GLX.

Thanks Gilbert.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• June 13, 2016 9:52 AM EDT
      • Litchfield, NH

• Thanks

I will also pipe in as I have gotten and provided items for Gilberts library of parts and it is great someone is able to recreate them.  I am working on repairing some of my items and great to know someone can recreate those easily damaged parts.  If you have parts that Gilbert doesn't have on his list yet send them he is always looking to add to the library.  Though Gilbert if you ever decide to get out of the hobby or business please make sure your library goes to someone who will continue this great service!

• June 13, 2016 5:19 PM EDT
      • Elkton, MD USA

• Thanks

Mr. Lacroix,

There is a dire need for large scale parts, especially in 1:32. If the only thing available is a 1/4 scale part, can you use it to produce a 1:32 scale part?

For example I need a 1:32 scale headlight that is only available in 1/4 or O scale. Can you use a brass casting of such to reproduce it 3D 1;32.

THANKS

Noel

• June 14, 2016 9:48 PM EDT
      • OTTAWA, Ontario

• Thanks

Hi Noel

Yes, I generally use a donor part to make the 3D CAD file. It's just a few clicks on the drawing and some number crunching on the calculator to scale up or down the get the new part to the desired size & scale. The proportions stay the same although some wall thicknesses may get changed to keep the part from being too fragile like an egg or to save on raw material by making the part more hollow.

Thanks 

Gilbert

• June 14, 2016 10:03 PM EDT
      • Elkton, MD USA

• Thanks

Gilbert,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be getting back to you in a few days (weeks). Family crisis now taking up much of my time.

Noel

• March 19, 2017 7:17 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Cool. since they are 3D printed, would it be possible to order them in other scales? Personally I model in 1:24. Many here model in 1:20.3.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• March 22, 2017 8:21 AM EDT
      • OTTAWA, Ontario

• Thanks

Thank you, David - Yes, they can be made in other scales. It's just a matter of re-scaling the design file at the time of printing. If you or anyone else needs some, please drop me a line. I'll respond with some PDFs of the windows & doors.

Pricing is $5 (Canadian dollars) per unit in 1-29. $5.25 in 1-24 and $5.50 for 1-20.3 plus $10 flat shipping rate.

Forums Vendors and Manufacturers Ads and Announcements

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google