Large Scale Central

3D whole body scanning in ANY scale.

Seen at the NGRS earlier this year - a 3D laser scan of your entire [clothed] body, in a suitable pose, resulting in a model of YOU, scaled to suit your trains.

Takes a while to do, but even at $50 a time for 16mm scale, the line was loooooooooooooong.

tac

OVGRS

have you seen any printed results of these scans?

One of the BAGRS guys who operates on their modular layout has a statue of himself made by 3D printer. It DOES look like him.

Mormin’, Korm - yes, I saw the model of the proprietors, painted up in the clothes they were wearing for the show, and they were spooky, to say the least. A number of people I saw being scanned were posing as if operating the throttle or waving a flag - IOW, just like real train operators in real life.

It seemed to be immensely popular, and with good reason. Here is the company concerned -

www.DesignScanPrint3D.co.uk

I guess it’s catching on.

tac

PS - their stock figures, ready to paint, are varied in shape and format, and well-priced at ca. $7 a pop.

OVGRS

But to scan a full sized person and print in scale is easier then to scan a scale person and print in scale. The scanner doesn’t need to scan at that high a resolution when the output is reduced so much.

I was wondering how long it was going to be before someone started doing this.

Shapeways in Europe has a similar service. I can see a franchise opening up here real soon in North America doing the same for people who want a mini-me of themselves.

but you got something of that type already:

https://thegreatfredini.com/scan-a-rama/

deleted

Harvey Henkelmann said:

It won’t be long and we’ll see entire locomotives and rolling stock 3D scanned and shrunk to the appropriate scale to suit your needs, the days of putting drawings into the copier are numbered.

Gee I hope not. I am a copier repair…

Nope. I forgot for a moment. I am no longer a copier repair tech. Now I repair plotters and wide format printers.

Carry on.

Mebbe a wide format printer and a MRI tube… hmmm print out a copy of the cancer … One Step Beyond!

John the tv show Greys Anatomy covered that last year I think, 3d printing a brain tumor to decide which was the best way to remove it. I would bet the high dollar big hospitals are doing something similar