Large Scale Central

Another early streamlined / art-deco diesel

Guys addicted to the ‘art deco’ diesels of the 30’s might like the prototype of my 1.7"-project I dealt with over the last four years:

Union Pacific’s M-10005 ‘City of Denver’

Unfortunately - caused by the space restrictions of my row house and the other trains already gathered in the basment/garage - my consist incorporates only the A&B-unit and the first car, the aux. power baggage. Anyway I still haven’t really solved the problem of transport to the next live steam club’s tracks. However, I even like the look of a static display. As usual, the A&B-units currently lacking the lettering - I’m always dabbling with this part of modeling.

Once again I had an ugly start of the shell…

It turned out a bit better after application of glass-fiber

A shot with the B-unit

Unfortuantely Pullman decided on riverting the body - and they set many, many rivets. Iused cheap small round-headed nails as a substitution…more than 8.500 for each unit

And with all the rivets and necessary heralds - the A-unit

and the B-unit

A picture of the battery-powered driveline (only the A-unit is powered) - four PM-motors of roughly 1hp each, each truck with two motors, its own controller (connected in a master-slave ste-up) and a set of three serial connecteed 12V car-batteries.

The aux. power car which I hope to finish this year

I’ll remove the radiator blowers over the power compartment - their application does not fit to the time range of yellow-and leaf brown outfit.

The ‘Napoleon-hat’-trucks gave some additional problems with digging for correct photos (there were several designs with different positions of the brake cylinders).

The A-unit is app. 9’6" long, the B-unit 8’6" and the baggage car 10’6".

Regards

Norman

Oh wow! More cool non steam stuff. Nice work

Beautiful work, it’s great that you do the early Pioneers of diesel/gas/electrics.

John

Wow, that is nice. I love the early streamliners also. My 2906 I made. I did change the brown color though.

Use and Aristo pacific as the base. 4" 90 degree plumbing piece sliced for the front.