Large Scale Central

Jay Leno Running At LALS 60th Anniversary Meet

Jay Leno was out to the Los Angeles Live Steamers 60th Anniversary Meet over the Memorial Day weekend. As usual, he brought one of his antique cars from his large collection. This time he brought a 1909 White steam car. It was on display while he ran trains.

The photo below is a Sweet Creek model 3-3/4 inch scale live steam locomotive AND this is the first time I have seen him run on the club track. He was very capable.

The members of the train crew of the very large scale equipment “trying” to wipe the grin off Jay’s face. :slight_smile:

Gary, Is that his engine? If not, does, he have his own? If so, Does he have some track? And is the track there 7 1/2" gage?

Dave Taylor said:

Gary, Is that his engine? If not, does, he have his own? If so, Does he have some track? And is the track there 7 1/2" gage?

I understood that Leno took delivery of two of those engines last Friday at Los Angeles Live Steamers. The source for that information came from the new owner of Allen Models (the late Gene Allen’s company) of Nevada. Also saw a post on Facebook that Jay IS a member of LALS, but it is kept low-key and his name does not appear in the club roster (for obvious reasons). Later in the day, I saw Jay running a similar steamer (dead head) with no lettering. There was a company rep from Roll Models sitting on the tender behind him giving tips now and again. I believe that was one of his two locomotives. Like I commented in my original post (I think I did anyway), this is the FIRST time I have ever seen him running a steam engine on the club track. I also heard during one particular conversation that Jay was thinking of pulling the public on a few Sunday afternoons. I’m not real sure about that one.

As far as I know, there is not enough room to lay any track at his home (I know where he lives). Way too hilly. Yes, it is 7-1/2 inch gauge.

The old rule of thumb “He who dies with the most toys wins” well I guess it’s good to be king!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Now that he has the Steam bug. I wonder if he might accept an invitation to Cab ride and toss some coal into 315?

Dave Taylor said:

Now that he has the Steam bug. I wonder if he might accept an invitation to Cab ride and toss some coal into 315?

Go for it I’m sure he would chomp at the bit for the opportunity to drive a locomotive! I would!

Dave Taylor said:

I would!

From what I understand of Mr. Leno is that he is a gearhead through and through. He isn’t just a spoiled rich guy who buys cars cuz he can. He knows how to turn wrenches and he certainly knows how to drive them. I also understand he likes everything mechanical. I would say that he would likely jump all over an opportunity to drive a 1:1 locomotive. He might not want to make a public spectacle of it, that could be an issue.

Devon Sinsley said:

From what I understand of Mr. Leno is that he is a gearhead through and through. He isn’t just a spoiled rich guy who buys cars cuz he can. He knows how to turn wrenches and he certainly knows how to drive them. I also understand he likes everything mechanical. I would say that he would likely jump all over an opportunity to drive a 1:1 locomotive. He might not want to make a public spectacle of it, that could be an issue.

He also knows software. He is very good in using MasterCam and generating tool paths for his NC machines. Very knowledgeable in stereo-lithography software.

Devon Sinsley said:

If he didn’t want to make a public spectacle of it that could be an issue he wouldn’t show up where he does and do what he does. Seems to me he likes to promote his hobby!

And if he wanted to be secretive about it, he could choose another day, instead of Sunday, when the public is there. He could drive a modern sub compact, and he could try and be less conspicuous.