Large Scale Central

Converting a Spectrum 4-4-0

I’m considering converting my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 to battery.

First question: I seem to have lost my wiring diagram. Does anyone know where I can find one? I looked on Bachmann site but can’t find that schematic.

Second question: Has anyone converted one of these engines? I’m looking for a few tips on installation and what was done to stock wiring.

Thanks,

Doc Watson

I would say try contacting TOC of this site. There are several other folks who will have some in put. I’d also try George S web page @ girr.org . Good luck and happy Memorial Day.

Doc; I have done mine with battery; twice now. The 1st time I had the battery in a Bachman combine car & then when 1.4 volt battery came out I switched to the new revolution with steam; both in the tender so I could use it for freight service. Both times without a wiring diagram; all trial & error! Lots of fun; LOL; over the winter a couple of years ago.

There is an article on the Ottawa Valley GRS website that shows how to remove the track power wiring from a Bachmann 4-4-0 American.

Place the locomotive upside-down in a soft cradle or in the top of the Styrofoam packaging it came in, taking care not to damage the whistle.

Remove the 8 screws holding the cover on the bottom of the motor block. Place them in a small container so they do not get lost or mixed up with others.

motor block cover

Unsolder the four track power wires from the bottom of the axle bushings. Shrink wrap the ends of the wires and tuck them back in out of the way. This prevents the locomotive from feeding battery power back into the tracks.

track power pick-ups

Re-install the cover on the bottom of the motor block using the eight screws in the small container.

That completes the modifications to the locomotive. Set it aside for now.

Place the tender upside-down in the cradle.

Remove the four screws that hold the copper, axle wipers and brass, loop connectors to the bolsters. Remove the axle wipers. This prevents the tender from feeding battery power back into the tracks.

tender track power wipers

Re-install the 4 screws back over the loop connectors. The screws fasten to the frames that hold the brake shoes.

Another article on installing a battery and Revolution receiver with steam sounds in a Bachmann Annie can be used as a guide to do the same for the American locomotive.

Annie receiver and battery

Thanks everyone for your input.

Paul,

I already looked up your solution and plan to go with it. It looks like the simplest way to convert to battery although I will be putting everything in the tender. Another solution I’ve seen suggested gutting all the electronics but I don’t think I want to go to that level of effort. Thanks again for providing the help you guys do up there at the OVGRS.

Doc Watson