Large Scale Central

butt modeling

Devon labeled some of us “butt modelers”. I guess that means that we talk a lot about modeling, but we just sit on out butts. Now we all know “experts” like that, the person who knows everything about everything and will tell you so, but after all of the talk, we find out that they haven’t actually done anything. Now before I walk around with a label like that, and I did put it in my signature, I figured I would show Mr Devon, that I am just a butt modeler.

Today I started a project that I wanted to do last year. But funds would not allow me to.

Last yea my new neighbor put up an 8 foot high, vinyl fence. We call it the “Great White Wall”. Sue, my new neighbor, made comments that suggested that I could be sitting in my backyard, looking into her bedroom window. I sit in my backyard and watch the trains, the planes on final approach to County Airport, the wildlife, and I daydream. I never even considered looking into her bedroom window. Now with the great white wall, its not even a possibility, and I get a semi-private backyard.

Anyway, I started digging a trench along the great white wall. I lined the trench with weed cloth, and put plastic edging on the sides. Then I filled the trench with pond stone.

Of course I picked the hottest day of the year, so far, to do this in.

I still have a long way to go.

The reason for this, is so that I do not have to risk damaging the great white wall with my weed-wacker. I will not use the weed-wacker on her vinyl wall, for fear of damaging it. The stone filled trench should keep grass and weeds from growing alongside of the great white wall, making it look a lot nicer.

Now for the model railroading part; the dirt that I am accumulating by digging this trench, is being used to build up the railroad’s fills and filling in the future site of the town of Fair Haven.

So, here I proudly sit on my butt, telling Yunz all that I done did today. And rejoicing in my well deserved title of “Butt Modeler”.

Disclaimer

This post is meant to be all in fun, and is to be in no way interpreted as an insult, or derogatory reference, to any person, living or dead. So there.

David.

I forget…is it butt modeler or butt head? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

LOL, Joe. Butt-head is that twerp you meet that you just want to beat the crap out of so bad, because the twerp is so full of crap. Butt Modeler is essentially an armchair modeler, but with a lot to say. I think. Going from Devon’s comments.

I cannot be a butt modeler, because I pretty much have a straight line from my shoulders to my heels. 3 hankerchiefs and a fat wallet still no help.

are you stilll going to paint a backdrop on the great wall David. I kind of thought that is where this was heading. Is the neighbor worth looking over at? inquiring minds wqant to know

Pete, I didn’t say butt model, I said butt modeler.

No, I do not want to do anything to the great white wall. Ok, that’s not true, I do want to do things to it, but I will not, since its not mine. Its actually several feet into her yard. But since its a solid wall, I figure she has relinquished control over those few feet of her property to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I do not find her beholding.

I would be wary of what you do , if the place is sold the new owners can require anything be moved off"their" land and move the fence back to the property line. I would not do a lot of train type improvements

That is a nice way of protecting the wall and keeping grass at bay too. good idea

Geez,

Who new that my accusing, oh yes I did accuse that’s no lie, people of riding my butt about not getting off my butt and getting my butt outside and getting my butt in gear and get the layout started finished while at the same time sitting on their butts behind their computer doing nothing productive themselves would go viral. But ( not the rear end kind) I did accuse them falsely. It seems two of the Butt modelers have actually been quite busy. I would apologize but (one T) I am to busy busting my ass butt getting my cement done.

This is what happens when I get distracted and don’t monitor the forum more closely. Maynard gets all sideways as if his butt were on fire.

Devon Sinsley said:

Geez,

Who new knew that my accusing, oh yes I did accuse that’s no lie, people of riding my butt about not getting off my butt and getting my butt outside and getting my butt in gear and get the layout started finished while at the same time sitting on their butts behind their computer doing nothing productive themselves, would go viral. But (not the rear end kind) I did accuse them falsely. It seems two of the Butt modelers have actually been quite busy. I would apologize but (one T) I am to too busy busting my ass butt getting my cement concrete done.

This is what happens when I get distracted and don’t monitor the forum more closely. Maynard gets all sideways as if his butt were on fire.

Devon,

You MUST be tired.

OMG Joe. . .yeah I am tired(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Property lines … out here we have easements along the lines for utilities and roads. Off set fences are not unusual. I’d build to the line and use the other for access.

John

Pete Lassen said:

I would be wary of what you do , if the place is sold the new owners can require anything be moved off"their" land and move the fence back to the property line. I would not do a lot of train type improvements

That is a nice way of protecting the wall and keeping grass at bay too. good idea

Pete, when I built my railroad I ran a string line along the property line and stayed clear of it, even though my neighbor at the time said I could use that corner of her property. That is why my curve on the reverse loop is around 9.5 foot diameter instead of the 10 foot diameter I wanted. I was shocked when Sue took down the chain link fence, and put up the great white wall at an angle. At the back of the yard I gained a few inches. Near the railroad I gained 3 or 4 feet. I know that the land is still hers, but I have to mow and maintain it now. I will not be building anything there, except the stone trench.

Devon, I am not all sideways, I am just having fun. Yes, maybe a little at your expense, but no harm is intended. We are both busting our butts this weekend. I only keep pestering you to keep going because I see a kindred spirit in you. Too many times I put off projects, due to distractions, until I had to rush and cut corners in order to finish the project on time. And then, while I finished the project, it was not quite what I wanted. So I keep pestering you so that doesn’t happen to you. Butt its all in fun.

John the easement for the utilities is along the back of my property. So I don’t build anything back there, since I do not know exactly where my property ends and the easement begins.

I guess I’m the other sort of modeler - the “BUT” modeler. You know, “I was going to model that, but…”

Bruce, I have a few of those too. Usually the “but” is that it wont fit on my railroad, or that I just don’t have the time, or…

Yeah David, I am really one to talk, all I have done is clear some pain it the ass bushes in the area of my proposed ROW, bought a tool and now , due to things I must finish BEFORE I can build any train related (read track work) I sit here on my butt reading and commenting on everyone elses projects, Matt Russell has built , at lightening speed a really nice layout only to see it flooded in a freak rainstorm, and repaired it. Boomer has Finnaly finished 2 lococmotives, Rooster is working on his next 10k posts( ummm maybe a butt modeler) Devon the finger pointer is busy over thinking and over designing things as we speak. All I can say I have done is doing my non train projects I have been able to “accidently” make scale lumber for future projects. My plan reading skill need a serious tune up on that front.

Disclaimer

This post is meant to be all in fun, and is to be in no way interpreted as an insult, derogatory reference, snide remark, cause Bob to put a big black Icon on this thread or be snarky to any person, living or dead. Just some rambling attempts at adding to my post count and have some fun today. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I know your only having fun at my expense David. And that is totally fine with me. I don’t mind being the BUTT of your joke.

David,

I had my doubts, butt your noting your dedication in your signature does sorta seem exotic. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

In my little Terra Cellulosa thread, I picked up on Devon’s remark and refuted the notion I was all butt talkin’ instead of butt walkin’! Cranking up my comic ire, I posted pics! There It Happened!

Alarmed at our accusers inclusiveness, David was compelled to Embrace his butt (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)and to defend his ways.

I was conflicted. First to take umbrage, I also was asking for it, when my thread suddenly split the switch with butt talking. Subtle attempts to quell the noise … well, fell victim to a new embrace. Y’know it could be exotic! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)Exassperation led to; “might as well since you won’t let it die.” (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

After our laughter died down, I awoke to a new day of our Master butt modeler, goofing the subject line … or perhaps a subconscious squealer?

So Sir, be ye a modeler or model? Peeps bored outta their gourds might wanna know.

Well my butt is just about flat enough, I’ll be moseying out to the wood pile soon.

John

PS: I absolutely insist on enjoying life.

John Caughey said:

Property lines … out here we have easements along the lines for utilities and roads. Off set fences are not unusual. I’d build to the line and use the other for access.

John

I bet you do have that “out there”. However I also bet you are still legally allowed to shoot a man if caught in the act of horse theivery!

John, I am glad that you are in the spirit of things. I mean no harm, I am just having fun. That is the whole point for me anymore. I didn’t mean to exasperate you, although I did get the idea I was trending that way in the other thread. And folks who have seen me can certainly tell you that I am not model material. So, I am a modeler.

Rooster, I guess it all depends on if the body is ever found.

" Rooster " said:

John Caughey said:

John

I bet you do have that “out there”. However I also bet you are still legally allowed to shoot a man if caught in the act of horse thievery!

I don’t know about horse thievery but it wasn’t until sometime in the 90’s that Idaho removed hanging for cattle rustling as a viable punishment. I knew a brand inspector for the State and he claims the reason it got removed was because a rancher found cattle with his brand on another ranchers land and demanded that the sheriff hang him per the law. Now I have not been able to confirm his story and he was a bit known for his story telling but he sure seemed like he was serious and it was right in his wheel house.