Large Scale Central

Tile Roof

Greetings Everyone…

My son is building a mission for his 4th grade mission project. Does anyone have a suggestion for making the tile roof that has the curved Spanish red tile look?? I know this is not directly related to garden railroading but in a sense is when i actually build one this summer that will be outside…

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Richard Mynderup said:

Greetings Everyone…

My son is building a mission for his 4th grade mission project. Does anyone have a suggestion for making the tile roof that has the curved Spanish red tile look?? I know this is not directly related to garden railroading but in a sense is when i actually build one this summer that will be outside…

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Richard,

Everybody (meaning parents :)) does a mission in the 4th grade here in California. We still have our kids three missions stored in the garage and our youngest is 32. We got our tile roofs from Stats Crafts in Pasadena, CA. Here is a link: http://www.statsfloral.com/

Good luck with the project.

For your son’s project, it might be fun to try this.

For outdoors, try this offering from Plastruct.

I helped my younger sisters with their mission projects.

My youngest sister used Plastruct tile roofing for her mission (Santa Barbara). My other sister used grooved cardboard and painted it a terra cotta color for her mission (San Antonio de Padua)

I didn’t get to build my own mission, my class went to Capistrano instead…took the train of course :wink:

The two missions are still displayed on top of a book case. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow in better lighting.

Below is a link to the Plastruct tile. We used O scale 91637 which consists of two sheets of 7" x 12". Oh and we used the styrene sheets instead of their embossed paper sheets.

Plastruct Tile Roofing

Rich

Here is one more choice. Ozark Miniatures is the owner of the Precision Veneers line. They have Spanish tile in 15 X 15 sheets.

link: http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=1324&curPage=2&sortField=sku $9. per sheet.

They list it under 1" dollhouse supplies but I have found it quite suitable for 1/22.5 and 1/20.3

I have built several adobe buildings for the layout using 1" extruded polystyrene insulation board glued together with TB3 and covered in unsanded tile grout. Very durable and comes in a wide variety of colors. Both are available at any DIY.

As far as it being garden RR related. Hey its a structure and we like those. Please post pictures.

if you are lazy, just cut corrugated carton in stripes, and glue it on. each row has a thin thread under the lower end, to raise it a bit.

(once the glue dried, it smoothed out)

Ray did a great job

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Due to time constraints I ended up going with stock tile roofs that Michael’s sells in their mission section. A little Terracotta paint did wonders. Jonathan’s mission was due today so it is now in the safe care of his teacher.

Rich,

That mission turned out really nice!

Wow! Great Job!

For your outdoor model, you may consider these as they are ABS

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-construction-sand-table-model-material-ABS-board-roof-tile-landscape-simulation-model-plastic-tile-corrugated/32652003267.html

Am I beginning to look like an aliexpress representative?

Dang, that is simply beautiful.

Jonathan (and Dad): A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the kudos…and this was not a kit…just a little eyeballing of some photos we took when touring the mission as well what we found on Google…now the real test comes this summer as I attempt to scratch build outdoor structures for the garden railroad.

If the work on the mission is any indication of the quality your capable of I am not worried