Large Scale Central

New House

I guess this is a ‘shotgun’ house. More or less. I sort of made up the design. The sides are cast resin cut out on my 3d router. The porch and foundation are styrene as is the roof. The windows and doors are also cast resin.

Nice work. Brings back memories.

My Father in Law was raised in a house like that. On Geneva St. in north St. Louis. Maybe one more window on each side. He slept in the living room with his brother on a “Murphy Bed”, his sister slept in the bedroom with Mom and Dad. Dad, Jan’s Grandpa James Columbus Nix, was a St. Louis Police Sgt. Retired with an $18 per month pension and that was never raised through out his entire retirement life. On the job, he worked all but 2 days a month and got them off, if he didn’t have to go to court. Interesting, proud man of the first 80 years of the last century and a few years of the 1800’s. By the way, he built the screens for that house with a miter box and a good hand saw. Never smoked his pipe before breakfast. Sometimes ate breakfast at 3 am. By the way, nobody mentioned his middle name was Columbus, in front of him.

What? No address? How’s the mailman gonna find it? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Looks great! Nice job.

-Kevin.

Ric Golding said:

Nice work. Brings back memories.

My Father in Law was raised in a house like that. On Geneva St. in north St. Louis. Maybe one more window on each side. He slept in the living room with his brother on a “Murphy Bed”, his sister slept in the bedroom with Mom and Dad. Dad, Jan’s Grandpa James Columbus Nix, was a St. Louis Police Sgt. Retired with an $18 per month pension and that was never raised through out his entire retirement life. On the job, he worked all but 2 days a month and got them off, if he didn’t have to go to court. Interesting, proud man of the first 80 years of the last century and a few years of the 1800’s. By the way, he built the screens for that house with a miter box and a good hand saw. Never smoked his pipe before breakfast. Sometimes ate breakfast at 3 am. By the way, nobody mentioned his middle name was Columbus, in front of him.

Times were different, weren’t they? But then when I ran away from home my girlfriend and I lived in a studio, $14 a week, with a bathroom down the hall for the entire floor, payphone on the wall outside the bathroom, “kitchen” smaller than a closet, slept on a Murphy bed that pulled down out of a cabinet attached to the wall, fire escape for a “back porch.” Nice to remember, but I’m glad those days are gone for good…at least I hope they are.

Columbus is a great middle name!

dieseldude . said:

What? No address? How’s the mailman gonna find it? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Looks great! Nice job.

-Kevin.

Railroad police can’t find it neither Kevin!

Martin, that’s fine craftsmanship. The house has an authentic feel to it. Aren’t the code guys wanting an exhaust for the wood-burning stove? I’m seeing a wood pile out back and a couple of chairs on the front porch for the nightly meeting of the Liars Club.

Where do you get the windows, and what do you use for paint? I’d also like to see how you make the planks with your router.

Thanks- although I might digress on fine craftsmanship, its more like I just did make it work :slight_smile: Yes, it does need a chimney, I made one, it’s here somewhere but needs paint. A mailbox and a porch bench are excellent ideas too. The siding is cast resin sheet. I made a master from strips of .060 styrene, overlapped like siding, then a rubber mold from that. The windows and doors are also cast from molds I made a while back. Everything else is styrene sheet. It is painted with generic rattle cans, flat primer white and black. The windows are painted camo brown.

I’m looking for survivability in this rainforest I seem to be living in lately…

Looks like the house my father-in-law built in Ferguson, Mo. just after WWII. Two bedrooms for parents and 4 kids, 2 girls and 2 boys.

“shotgun house” ??

i know the expression “shotgun wedding”, but does anybody care to explain what this type of house has to do with shotguns?

the house looks nice, just right for a smaller town or village.

(but i would place some junk and thrash around it.)

so you have poured solid walls, and then cut out the openings?

All the doors from front to back lineup, one could open the doors and fire a shotgun straight through the house.

Nifty. Those would make great coal patch houses for my mining area.

Martin, very nice looking house! What are its dimensions in real feet and inches? I might try 3D printing one. It would look good around a cul-de-sac on my RR.

I think these sorts of houses were built based on standard lumber sizes. An effort to make cheap housing units for employees I suppose. So in 1/29 scale, this one is 32 ft long by 16ft wide. The porch is 6 ft x 16ft. In the real world, 13 inches by 6 1/2 wide plus the porch.

Steve, I grew up in Berkeley, MO, next to Ferguson. About the same time. Might have even dated one of the girls!..who knows. I dated a lot of girls from Ferguson. Small world.

Small world indeed. She graduated HS in 66. Does that fit with your timeline? Ferguson has certainly changed a lot, if the news reports are to be believed.

Little after me. HS 1961. You’re right. Ferguson is a different place. Haven’t been back there for decades. We’ve lived in NM over 45 years. Before, Philadelphia and D.C. After graduating from MU left MO and didn’t go back. Our kids are in CO, so we hang out there mostly other than recreational travel.

New RR is coming along nicely. Rain forecast here all week so not much work for a few days. Painting buildings and preparing track base in the meantime. I’d love to have a couple of Martin’s little houses. They’d fit well here. Did one similar in wood a few years ago that I haven’t put out permanently on the ground for fear of damage. Should work fine on the elevated layout and will find an appropriate place. Glad I can finally post pictures. TinyPics was/is the solution. More to come. Have a good week.