Large Scale Central

USA Trains vs. Accucraft

I’ve been looking to add a PRR N5 or N8 cabin car (caboose) to my rolling stock. USATrains offers a nice model of a N5 cabin car. Accucraft has a nice model of a N8 model; http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AL93-051-CABOOSE.htm

Why is there such a massive price difference? USATrains is about $150, Accucraft $500. I own some USAT rolling stock. I own a Accucraft live-steam K4 locomotive. I understand that the USAT model is mostly plastic and the Accucraft is constructed in brass, but what, if any, merit exists for brass constructed rolling stock verses plastic constructed rolling stock?

Because its Accucraft!

And also Accucraft probably makes much fewer pieces, and like you said Brass…

However, if I am correct I believe your K4 is a 1/29 scale? if so, go with the USAT as it will match in size.

The Accucraft is a 1/32 scale and will appear much smaller next to the K4.

The Accucraft “museum piece” is money and USAT is for running.

When you think about it many of the fine details on a piece of Accucraft rolling stock disappears at about 5 feet away depending on how good your eyes are. Owning a Accucraft K4 live steam is awesome and that is what people are going to be focusing on plus you can get 3 USAT cars for the price of one Accu one and have money left over.

I like USAT products.

Happy RRing.

Aristo did a PRR caboose in brass. Ok, they probably had it done for them. But brass is so much more expensive then plastic. The material costs more, and the fabrication costs a lot more. Plastic parts are snapped, or glued together. But quality brass equipment is soldered together, and that takes more skill, and more time.