Large Scale Central

Signals on the IPP&W.......

Here is a new thread, to separate the stuff we are doing here on the IPP&W Railroad, from Bob’s original thread for his railroad.

I will post pictures here as soon as I get some…and welcome any comments or thoughts on the subject here.

The original plan I had was a simple signal system, controlled by the dispatcher, to protect the crossing of the IPP&W railroad, where it is crossed by the RP&M railroad. Just a simple system with four red/green signals, one located at each approach to the crossing.

The signal lights would be LED’s to provide a low cost, long lasting light in each head. The lights had to be bright enough to be seen by the operating crews in broad daylight, at a distance of 15 feet minimum.

The lights do not have to be scale, or delicate, in design, but should look “Railroady”, and be very durable, to be left out year around through all types of weather in a temperature range of -30 to +30 C.

The lights, are to be used as part of the operation control system, during operations, but at night and other times, act as “Garden lights”, drawing low amounts of power.

Along with the signal system, power can also be supplied in limited areas of the railroad, for station lights, and other industrial lighting, which would be generally considered “Garden lighting”. Since the power cables are in conduit, and extra cable has been drawn through it, why not use it for lighting buildings…

Some would ask…why not use the track as a power source… We don’t use track power, and so it would be more work to keep every joint “Conducting”, and the risk of shorting the rails, would be more work than simply running a length of free conduit, with free cables inside it…I am fortunate to have good sources…!!

Fred Mills.

I am looking forward to the pictures. I’ve had a few thoughts on signals on and off, but they never went anywhere. I also had plans to light my buildings this year. Since I never pulled any wire for this when building the RR I figured I could re-activate my track power as a lighting bus. When out doing repairs and ballasting last weekend I noticed that I have disconnected the track from several of the block controls. I don’t know if I can find my original wiring plan to connect them back up, or if I even want to. Thus my lighting project might have stalled.

I make signals from a piece of brass tube and a fender washer with a 2-color LED. Some are tall with a metal ladder (1/2" hardware cloth), while others are shorter and sit on concrete bases.

The bases are cast using “dixie” cups.

Neat ideas, I like the thoughts. I can think of other places on the IPP&WRR, that signals would prove interesting. Climbing the hill to Craig Leigh is one.

A picture of these signals can be found in the “Operations” folder, posted by Paul Norton.

Ric;

Your suggestion has also been made by the Craigleigh yard master, and is being seriously considered, by management.

The Craigleigh yardmaster is fully in favour of a signal to protect entrance to the Craigleigh yard limits. Too often crews seeing a clear track ahead when ready to depart St.Helens, just head right up towards the yard limit, without clearance, from the yard master. The dispatcher seems unable to control this action, in spite of advising all trains to get clearance.

This may be the perfect location to install a “Crash board”…as described in another thread on operations.

Fred Mills

Here’s a photo of one of the signals being tested on the layout. The LEDs are bright enough to overdrive the camera (phone) even in daylight, but to human eyes they do show up as red and green.

Here ya go, Seanna

Fred Mills said:

The Craigleigh yardmaster is fully in favour of a signal to protect entrance to the Craigleigh yard limits. Too often crews seeing a clear track ahead when ready to depart St.Helens, just head right up towards the yard limit, without clearance, from the yard master. The dispatcher seems unable to control this action, in spite of advising all trains to get clearance.

This may be the perfect location to install a “Crash board”…as described in another thread on operations.

Fred Mills

Hey! Don’t go messing with my Mount St. Helens hump yard.

The installation is now complete, with just a bit of cable needing to be buried, and a power switch hooked up for easier control in the “Dispatcher’s Den”…

Is there going to be an indicator light(s) in the dispatcher’s den, so the dispatcher is aware, and reminded, on how the thing is set?

David; In the dispatchers"Den" there is now a panel, not in any way as nice and prototypical as Bob McCown has produced, but very functional. It consists of three surface mounted electrical boxes in a row. The first one is just a 110 volt on/off switch which controlls a receptacle below, and out of sight, that has the 12 volt power supply plugged into it.

The second box has a switch that controls the signals. It is a simple DPDT switch, and the face plate is now labeled “IPP&W (Default)”, in one direction, and “RP&M” in the other direction.

The third box, is for further use, perhaps for lighting or making the signals more sophisticated…who knows…we pulled enough cable to light up or control most anything in the future,!!

This is a very simple signal system that is just to protect a railroad crossing at grade…not meant to just look good, but is to be actually used in our operation.

Fred

The completed signal system is only the original project.

There are possibilities of using signals at other locations, if the need is proven; such as the line between St.Helens, and Craigleigh, and the approach to Firgrove from Bell.

While addressing signal plans, and pulling wires/cable, we pull enough wire to provide power for other projects, such as lighting of buildings etc.

Wire is cheap, and those small 12 volt power supplies are readily available…conduit can be that cheap 3/4 " black plastic water pipe tha comes in 50’ rolls…

LEDs are light on power needs, and don’t require heavy wire to conduct it. Even old bell wire can do the job…

Fred

is to be actually used in our operation.

Good luck with that Fred

One great idea, Fred. No mater what they look like as long as it dose the job and keep Trains running.

We like the way it looks like a signal.

The signals are now in service and functioning as planned. The first operation was a success, and there was no trouble with the crews observing or understanding the signals.

Fred, that’s because none of the operators were Pittsburgh drivers.

David Maynard said:

That and the slot car diesel guy was working the Eastern Division of the railway away from the diamond.

Paul Norton said:

David Maynard said:

That and the slot car diesel guy was working the Eastern Division of the railway away from the diamond.

“Slot car diesel guy”, Oh yea, we have a few of them in the HO clubs I belong to. Somehow I can’t see the 1:1 guys trying to set a land speed record in an SD, but some model train guys sure try.