Large Scale Central

Free Trees

It’s that time of the year when all of the Eastern Red Cedar seeds that have been laying on the ground since last summer begin to sprout. I have thousands of them all over the layout and yard. Here is what they look like when they first sprout.

Each year I transplant some into peat pots with potting soil. Here are a few I did today.

I’ll water them in real good and leave them sitting here on the picnic table for a few days. This area gets partial sun. After they get accustomed to their new soil, I’ll plant the pots in a temporary unused section of the layout until I need them. In the following photo, the tree in the center is an Eastern Red Cedar I grew from a seedling four years ago. The trees on either side are Alberta Spruce.

They’re pretty good looking trees IMHO. In fact, I like them better than the Spruces. And best of all … they’re free and plentiful.

Bob

Those are nice. I get Hemlocks. They are a bit spindly but look good when only a year or two old. They get tall fast.

Can you keep the cedars small or do you have to start a new batch each year and rotate out often?

You can keep them about the same size as Alberta Spruce. They don’t seem to mind severe pruning. Here are a few where I planted the peat pots in the ground four years ago. They are about two feet tall.

Here is one I moved to this spot in 2009. It was about two years old and a foot tall when I planted it. It is now almost three feet tall.

Bob

I went tree exploring today and Eastern Red Cedar was one tree I could get but they ones they had were already about 30" tall. You get to start them small which would be nice.

My Red Cedar is just as prolific. If I keep them pruned, they work well with the railroad. These do better in my zone 4 garden than the Alberta Spruce.

I might have to see if I can get the Eastern Red in a smaller plant here locally

Devon Sinsley said:

I might have to see if I can get the Eastern Red in a smaller plant here locally

Check any Bonsai stores … you can some times get them before they Bonsai them.