Large Scale Central

2016 project! SR&RL RR Caboose.....

in Fn3 AND 2.5" to the foot scales - the latter to run on our 7.25" NG line - see Fenland Light Railway [www.fenlandlightrailway.co.uk.

All I need now are the plans…even a Bachmann 0n30 model would do, though, but not at $120 here in yUK…

Anybody help me out in return only for money?

BTW, this is the promo video for the Welsh version of the SR&RL RR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLaEFvFKTWg&feature=youtu.be

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

POCRR

Old Mill Lumber, er, Lumber.

Tac send me your email, [email protected]

Chuck

See e. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Besp.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Tac,

I believe I have a nice print of a Sandy River caboose that one of our members built for his Sandy River #24. This monster runs on 7-1/2 inch gauge (3-3/4 per ft. scale). I think this print is buried in my live steam documents in the shop. I’ll look this afternoon. If my memory serves me, it was similar to a drover caboose. Could this be what you are looking for?

Yessir!!! That would suit me down to the ground!

My nephew, Dick, over in Port Orford has sent me a couple of drawings to get me started, and Chuck Cole, bless 'im, has sent me a copy of the NWSL plans - again, to get the impetus going along. I’m continually futzed here in yUK trying to convert the GR plans into metric - all our wood and modelling supplies here are in metric sizes, especially the much-needed wood stuff.

One thing though, where do you guys get scribed siding material? The last caboose I built took over a thousand pieces of hand-cut stripwood, just 1x4.5mm…it sure would save me time and energy, that’s for sure.

Best to all

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS.

PS - TBH, I’da thought that Mr Maine - Eric Schade - would have chimed in by now - I’m getting no help at all, especially from the actual owners of a full-size replica of a SR&RL caboose here in yUK.

Tac,

Here in the states I get scribed siding from Micro Mark, a 3pack is $16.40 the size of each piece is 3 1/2 inches x 24inches.

There toll free number is 1-800-225-1066

Chuck

Useful to know, Chuck, many thanks indeeb. I’ve never tried a toll-free number from here to there…wonder if it works?

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=scribed+siding

Thanks, Ken, for a very useful and informative link. I’ll have to wait until I’m stateside to order what I need on account of the shipping costs to over here.

Now, what am I going to do with a thousand each of McDs and Starbucks coffee stirrers?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Just quick note to post a plaudit for Mr Russ Reinberg of Westlake Publishing Co, who ran around like a man with his hair afire to find me some back-numbers of Finescale Railroader - on a SUNDAY!!!

Props to you, Sir, a gentleman indeed.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Nice to have friends, isn’t it, TAC?

Sure is, Steve, and I’m grateful for them every day I wake up alive.

Add one more - Alan Carroll - who has offered to mail me some images of his 0n30 kit-bashed boosie - thanks, Alan, I greatly look forward to seeing it.

Anybody here know of him? No details were forthcoming, but any man who builds stuff for the SR&RL - in any scale - has to be somebody worth knowing about.

Best to all

tac, ig, ken the GFT and the Roof Repair Gang Boys

tac,

I’m STILL looking for my print of the Sandy River caboose. Naturally it wasn’t with my 1/8th scale print documentation:). I just saw this print a month or two ago as I was cleaning some material from my file case. I know it’s here. I’ll keep trying.

Don’t sweat it, Garry, right now I’m gathering all my wood together and measuring the stuff that is as good as imperial sizes…

Whenever you find it will be good.

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac Foley said:

Useful to know, Chuck, many thanks indeeb. I’ve never tried a toll-free number from here to there…wonder if it works?

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Tac,

I’m sure it doesn’t, although you might get through and be charged for the call.

I use Skype for all my calls to UK suppliers from the USofA. Just called Slaters in Derbyshire - no problems.

tac Foley said:

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Tac,

I’m sure it doesn’t, although you might get through and be charged for the call.

I use Skype for all my calls to UK suppliers from the USofA. Just called Slaters in Derbyshire - no problems.

tac,

The guy that built that car in 3-3/4" scale and was selling the prints, is a member of Los Angeles Live Steamers. I can contact him about another print for you if I can find mine. Either way, you’ll get one.

Thanks for the hint, Pete, sadly, my so-called broadband makes Skype a dream rather than a reality…one day, prehasp…sigh.

@Gary - if you DO find one/it, please let me know the $$$$$$ - these things are neither free nor easy to locate. These days nothing is for nothing.

Right now I’m looking at two ways of doing this, bearing in my the tiny size of the SR&RL prototype - one involves sacrificing a Bachmann passenger car and a full baggage car. And a cupola from another Bachmann caboose just lying around… Less work, for sure, but on the other tentacle, I stilll like the other option - I LIKE making things that are wood out of wood.

My young nephew, Richard in Port Orford [home of the famous Highway 101 traffic glim] is a past-master at cutting an pasting Bachmann cars. I’ll wake him up out of his winter reverie and pick his surviving braincell.

Besp

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

POCRR & OML

tac,

This is the caboose I can get the print for. Is this the one you want to model? David Rohrer is the owner of the 3-3/4 scale 2 foot gauge railroad in Oakhurst, California and has Sandy River #24 and this caboose, #553. This car was on display at Los Angeles Live Steamers when he completed it about twenty years ago. Even in 3-3/4"scale, this car was about 10 to 12 feet long and about 4 feet tall at the cupola. And it was running on 7-1/2 gauge track. It was a beauty and that was why I bought the print back then. I have found David’s phone number and I’ll give him a call later and found out about getting a print for you or at least some information regarding his model. He owns a Construction Consulting business I believe and he has about 4000 feet of 7-1/2 inch gauge track around his property.

That’s the one!

Thanks for that, Gary. I’m hoping to build a version of it in 2.5" scale - that will be plenty big enough for me.

Besp

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS