Large Scale Central

Revolution reveal at ECLSTS?

Hi all:
At the Aristocraft Forum Navin from Crest Electronics posted this message:

“March 23, 2016
Dear CREST Customer,
Don’t forget to visit me at the ECLSTS in York, PA, this weekend where I will be showing a new “reveal” product that you will want to see. …
I’m pleased to tell you that the Revolution boards and sets are also back in stock and can be ordered from our website or from your favorite dealer. The demand for this product remains strong, and it’s due to the reliability of the product’s performance and consistency of its in-stock positions. We have just recorded new diesel sounds right from the cab of real locomotives, so we will have these available still within this year
Navin Shievdayal
Product Manager
CREST Electronics”

I assume Navin is talking about the long promised USB dongle allowing sound file downloading from a PC to the Revo receivers. Since I’m a little far away, can anyone tell me if they have indeed had something to show at the ECLSTS? Thanks in advance.

Jose Morais
Headmaster of the Lapa Guess RR

I certainly don’t know what the “reveal product” is, Jose. My guess we will just have to wait until the ECLSTS to see what it is.

Ed

Jose - I talked to Navin and, in addition to the ability to download sounds from the web with the USB interface, they will be marketing a DC power supply designed for the base receiver - he promises to send these items to me for review when they are ready - this could be within a few weeks.

dave

Dave, any idea if people can make their own sound files, or is this just the long-awaited download capability?

Also interesting about the power supply, I would think the Elite was fine, or maybe they stopped making the Elite for the Everest, which was indeed flawed.

Thanks, Greg

Call me jaded, but we’ve been waiting for the programmable sounds for many years, and have been promised it at every recent ECLSTS.

Bob, I agree that we should believe it when the sounds and USB unit are in hand - I’ll let you know when something shows up at my door.

Greg - I don’t believe it is set up to do your own files but do not know that for sure - again, I’ll let you know when I get some hard info

Stay tuned!

dave

So the “reveal” was just more chatter. hmmm :slight_smile:

To me a reveal is something tangible in hand to view and use, not just more chatter !

“…Call me jaded, but we’ve been waiting for the programmable sounds for many years, and have been promised it . . .” Yeah !

doug c

I don’t want to be too hard on Crest, but I thought that the ability to download sounds has been possible for a number of years, but judging on the recent announcement that you order a receiver and Navin will put the right sounds in it, that implies that the download function is finally available outside of China / the factory.

This is good, since people will at least be able to change a steam unit to a diesel, but the real need is a sound library larger than 1 steam and 1 diesel.

The correction of the crossing whistle would also be a good thing.

As somewhat of an alternative of a better sound library, the ability for users to generate their own sound files would be nice, but very few people have access to the recordings necessary. All manufacturers jealously guard their sound libraries.

Greg

Enlighten me wise ones. What is the appeal of Crest Revolution? Not a single member of the NMGRR uses Crest so I have no experience with it. The battery guys use Airwire with one caveman holding onto his Loco Link, while the DCC guys are all Digitrax. For sound, Sierra is around but Phoenix reigns supreme (and has programmable sound suites from the internet with a USB port. It seems to me that Crest is a decade behind the power curve on this).

Is the Crest choice simply a matter of $ because I see it is cheaper than the Airwire or Digitrax / Phoenix combo.

How is the customer service after the sale? Is there a dedicated trouble shooter or is Navin a one man show?

Is the sound quality comparable to Phoenix? Are power boosters or amplifiers required to make it perform?

Do you find it more reliable or better performance than Digitrax, NCE or the old LGB system?

I am open to all opinions but I am especially interested in those that have bought, installed and use Crest. I am looking for both the technical aspects as well as the user satisfaction factor here.

Bob McCown said:

Call me jaded, but we’ve been waiting for the programmable sounds for many years, and have been promised it at every recent ECLSTS.

Ok Jaded and is that pronounced Jihad or Jadid? Me personally I’m still learning the TE from Crest and really like it so far!

Wait…you mean I can get sound with my locomotives as well and I won’t have to make my own noises when running my trains?

The new revolution has the DC output pins connected which means that it now works without the extra DC connection in Bachmann locomotives with the socket.

Stan

Boomer - I’m with you. I think it’s price point. I’ve only had one hands-on experience with Revolution and that was soon after they first came out. The controller kept having problems communicating with the loco. I don’t know if that was because I fat fingered the buttons or if it indeed had a problem. No matter, I wasn’t impressed. That was a good 5 years ago and I’m sure things have improved, but I’m happy with my RailBoss systems and you will never beat the sound quality of a Phoenix of any generation.

When I was sent a Revolution set in December 2008 to alpha test, there was snow on the ground and everyone’s railways were buried. So I set up some track on the laneway and ran a diesel back and forth on it. I walked up the street and was able to control the locomotive from 200 feet away.

Over the last two decades our group has tried a number of different radio control systems. But the Revolution system is now used by all. The price, reliable radio range, screen menus, and adjustable locomotive running characteristics continue to be the reason our members prefer it. The Plug and Play feature for Aristo-Craft and some Bachmann locomotives also helped less technically inclined people to get started with radio control.

When the sound was added it was just an extra feature. We all agree that the Phoenix Sound P8 is far superior, but it is a $200 accessory and requires a lot of wiring and some programming to take advantage of the features.

Our group runs standard guage and narrow guage operations on alternating Saturday mornings during the summer. The prefered narrow guage locomotive is the Bachmann Annie because of its price. For the same reason the Revolution receiver with steam sounds is preferred. It also used in a number of standard guage Pacifics including my own. I like the hand rung bell, although I wish it was latched. The lonesome whistle would please Johnny Cash. The chuff is terrible. It sounds like someone beating on an empty 50 gallon drum. But it is the least expensive sound system available and requires little wiring.

The diesel whistle and bell are OK, but the stationary diesel sound is lacking. If Crest can add a realistic ALCO sound that would help considerably.

Our group suggested the automatic bell and whistle sounds at start up and 20% power be eliminated. It was annoying when switching. That has been done. So Navin is listening to suggestions and implementing those he can.

Hi all

In my opinion the current Revolution is potentially a quite capable one step solution for G gauge control and sound. One single card simplifies installation and minimize space requirements. In terms of control the only shortcoming is the absence of BEMF speed control. Sound capabilities are quite acceptable (sound quality is good and volume is more than enough) but only two sound files are clearly not. If more sound files became available (or if file manipulation and downloading parameters are rendered public, which given Crest situation seems preferable) the Revo solution, at only 100 USD, seems unbeatable value for money.

As it is, not so much, I agree.

José Morais
Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR

I wonder, since the USB thingy has been, or is being added to the Revolution, maybe someone could hack the sound files and produce after market sound for the thing.

The Revolution is absolutely the best system I have used. For me. At least when I first got them. I had tried several different systems prior to the Revolution and just not happy with the performance or display. Once it came out, the Revolution met all my wishes. Since then, it’s been all promises and none fulfilled. Perhaps I’m just a jaded user, or maybe it’s just realism setting in.

I had one transmitter “lost” for a bit, and tried to find a replacement. But nobody advertised a single transmitter. Sure, I could replace it, but only if I bought one or more receivers at the same time; receivers I didn’t need. Sure, they’re NOT out of business, but how am I to tell the difference?

If you have one or more transmitters, it becomes rather tedious to replicate your locomotives - since all of your information is stored in the transmitter; in typical DCC this information is stored in the receiver. I have one “defective” transmitter; it has a bad display, but everything else still works. I am reluctant to get it fixed because I have lost confidence in whatever company I’m supposed to support. (That loss of confidence is based on LOTS of promises that have been made, but never fulfilled.)

If Navin is listening, that’s great. But, positive actions work better than just listening.

Boomer K. Founder I.A.R.R.R. said:

Enlighten me wise ones. What is the appeal of Crest Revolution? Not a single member of the NMGRR uses Crest so I have no experience with it. The battery guys use Airwire with one caveman holding onto his Loco Link, while the DCC guys are all Digitrax. For sound, Sierra is around but Phoenix reigns supreme (and has programmable sound suites from the internet with a USB port. It seems to me that Crest is a decade behind the power curve on this).

Is the Crest choice simply a matter of $ because I see it is cheaper than the Airwire or Digitrax / Phoenix combo.

How is the customer service after the sale? Is there a dedicated trouble shooter or is Navin a one man show?

Is the sound quality comparable to Phoenix? Are power boosters or amplifiers required to make it perform?

Do you find it more reliable or better performance than Digitrax, NCE or the old LGB system?

I am open to all opinions but I am especially interested in those that have bought, installed and use Crest. I am looking for both the technical aspects as well as the user satisfaction factor here.

First, I would never claim to be a wise one. I’ve tried Sierra and Phoenix on the sound side, and have experience with most of the controllers.

I had the Airwire (as well as other systems), and my Connie never ran right. I tried all sorts of different speed curves, but it ran away down hill and struggled up hill. With the Revolution, it ran the way I wanted. I typically use the Revolution with a Phoenix soundcard, but some of my locomotives have the Revolution receiver with sound.

Sound on the Revolution is just barely acceptable. Phoenix is MUCH better. I think that the attraction of the Revolution was the promise that ONE day the Revolution would have downloadable sound files. We projected all sorts of quality and abilities into this promise. But, like many promises it remains unfulfilled; I don’t think I would recommend the Revolution nearly as much today as I had in the past. But, I also don’t think I’d recommend something else. (Wow, is that not compelling???)

The Revolution delivered on range. Neither the Airwire nor any other system I tried ever did. I have a SMALL layout, but the Airwire could not signal the Phoenix to blow the whistle at “max” range. (Heh…40 feet?) The Revolution does that. Typically, I’m right beside my locomotive while it is running, but sometimes I like to sit on the patio and watch it run. The Revolution is the ONLY system that enables me to do that.

Greg Elmassian said:

I don’t want to be too hard on Crest, but I thought that the ability to download sounds has been possible for a number of years, but judging on the recent announcement that you order a receiver and Navin will put the right sounds in it, that implies that the download function is finally available outside of China / the factory.

This is good, since people will at least be able to change a steam unit to a diesel, but the real need is a sound library larger than 1 steam and 1 diesel.

The correction of the crossing whistle would also be a good thing.

As somewhat of an alternative of a better sound library, the ability for users to generate their own sound files would be nice, but very few people have access to the recordings necessary. All manufacturers jealously guard their sound libraries.

Greg

Wait, did I miss this? It’s always been possible to download sounds in their promises, but I’m more into reality. (OK, not according to some.)

As far as I know, there has been NO announcement of new capability or even fulfillment of old promises.

Did I miss something by not actually going to the show?

Yes Bruce, apparently you missed Dave’s post, quoted below.

But you are also technically correct, nothing was delivered, just the promise that the USB dongle could “very soon” download sound files.

I know it’s been promised for a while, but combined with Navin announcing you can order a receiver and Navin himself can download either the steam or diesel means SOMEONE in the USA now has the hardware/software/firmware to do this which has been promised since the first sound units.

Without any new sound files to select from, it is of limited value, except to switch a steam to a diesel and vice versa.

In a belated reply to Boomer, there are a number of advantages to the Revo that gives it it’s “niche”, price point is pretty good as long as you are happy with the sound quality and feature set.

It has a lot of functionality. Consider it a half step between basic R/C and DCC / AirWire.

I like top quality sound, so DCC with top of the line sound is cheaper than any other system at 4 locos or more. I have been able to keep power to the tracks. If I were to go battery, then AirWire or the deadrail system from Tam Valley would be my choices.

Greg

David Bodnar said:

Jose - I talked to Navin and, in addition to the ability to download sounds from the web with the USB interface, they will be marketing a DC power supply designed for the base receiver - he promises to send these items to me for review when they are ready - this could be within a few weeks.

dave