Large Scale Central

QSI sound output

Hi Folks, does any one know what the sound output power in watts is in the large scale titan decoders? I looked on the website but couldn’t find any specifications.
thanks
Steve

Dunno, but are you afraid of not enough power?

In the QSI Titan, there are TWO separate amplifiers, so of all the units out there, this is definitely NOT something to worry about.

Greg

p.s. you do know that 2 watts does NOT result in twice the sound output of a 1 watt amplifier, right? It’s not a linear relationship.

Hi Greg, I just bought a Viston 2.5" 2 watt speaker and realized that may not be enough to handle the Titan sound output.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve, I use Visaton speakers regularly in my Phoenix installs and never had a problem. What is the Viston model number? The FRS7 has a cone size of 2.5" and is rated at 8W to 15W. The smaller FRS5 is rated at 5-8 watts.

You will have great sound! Enjoy.

Don

Hi Don, I got Viston K 64 WP from Train-Li and at the time there were no specs on the site. I should have gone direct to the Viston site for the specs first. Its going in a Bachmann Forney and there’s not much clearance under the circuit boards for speaker depth. Later I found out its only 2 watts with a 3 watt max from the Viston web site.

Thanks

Steve

Yeah, a bit of a lightweight speaker.

Can you seal the enclosure to be airtight behind it?

You can set all 32 sound levels individually, and the one that will be the toughest is the chuff… so don’t try to make that full volume or too deep. Since the Forney is a small loco should not be too bad.

Greg

Hi Steve, I asked around today about the wattage output on the Titan but nobody knows. I even have specs going back to 2008 and there is no info listed. I know there is very little room in the Bachmann Forney for a better speaker. The stock speaker probably stated 1 watt.

Can you hookup the QSI and test out each speaker? I am not sure this Viston will sound better compared to the 3" Bachmann. In other Bachmanns I have raised up the socket board to allow the Viston FR7 to fit.

Next weekend I will be at the Big Train Show and can ask Josh from QSI what the watts out put is.

Sorry I do not have more info. Don

Hi Greg, I already made an enclosure for the K 64 2 watt but I was thinking like Don about moving the circuit board stack up a little. Don I just ordered the FR7 from Amazon (4 week delivery but no charge at least). I might put the 2 watt in the boiler using the stereo option. Don I don’t have the QSI yet. I was trying to weight all the options. I was just reading on the QSI website that the Bachmann Titan ET files aren’t even available yet. Funny how they are available for Aristocraft, which as you know is out of business, and USA Trains which only has two steamers, but no Bachmann.

Thanks

Steve

Don, thanks for looking for the information.

appreciate it

Steve

The FR7 will do much better.

QSI started before Bachmann ever made a socket, so the history is there and the number of locomotives is much greater.

In G scale “inexpensive” locos, there is far more Aristo out there, especially steamers.

The original QSI was for USAT, and it was a system with adapter cables and lots of jumpers to work on the various USAT diesel lighting circuits. I still have one with all the sheets on what cable and what jumpers for what USAT loco.

So based on all the history over, what, 6 years or more, this all makes sense.

Greg