Large Scale Central

Track Cleaner

Someone made the brilliant decision to plant redwood trees where my garden railroad would eventually go…only problem now is that needles drop on the rails forcing a sweeping or raking before the trains can run…

So my question is if there is any type of track cleaning car available to push off things like needles. The stems or “branches” can sometimes be quite long. I love watching those of you in snowy areas running your diesel with a snow plow and making a short time of cleaning your track.

Thanks for any thoughts you have…

Richard

don’t know if there’s one that’s commercially available. I’ve seen pictures and videos of various home built track cleaners using rotating brushes and leaf blowers.

Then there’s this one: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/24855/reindeer-pass-rail-kleen/view/post_id/300009

Thanks Ken…I saw the video on that one…I’ll take a look on the website.

Richard

http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176&Itemid=211

It seems the technology of battery or gas powered leaf blowers could be used to clear the tracks. We have a small Ryobi we carry and it really does a great job.

I got a 24 volt B&D that works good, does not blow real hard.

I join Ric and Jerry as to the use of a leaf blower. However, IF the roadbed gravel is too light, well, er…bye-bye roadbed gravel.

I clear 400’ of track in less than 5 minutes using my Stihl model HS 65 leaf blower. No problem with the gravel as it all held with light cement - mix up some white play sand and fast-drying cement and apply it dry – spray on a light dose of water and reduce the effects of cleaning.

But, the inventive minds that create the fun products have not stopped at one or two track cleaning mechanisms. In it itself, they are fun to see operate and amaze your doubting friends - and my wife.

Please let us know what worked for you.

Wendell (gee whiz,I used to be “well respected”) Hanks.

Richard

I made this unit with the help of Dan Pierce ( he understands the black magic of electronics )

Hope this helps.

I find a small low powered leaf blower works great. The track cleaners are nice but they only get the tracks. I want to get the entire layout. Ill take pine needles over leaves any day (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

After reading the various reviews and comments regarding the Track Cleaner sold by Reindeer Pass I just had to get one and try it out. I had an old Delton gondola so I did a little careful cutting and mounted the unit to the front of the floor. I purchased the unit with the additional wiring for switch and charging jack. I decided to use a 14v, 3000 mAh battery for initial testing.

Since the weather is too cold and I have my layout mothballed for the Winter, I could only run a test on an old, very dirty piece of track in the shop. Bottom line, I’m very impressed so far.

Of course, I had to take the project one step further - I added a speed controller because I didn’t want to have the sander sit in one spot until I got the thing rolling.

I was impressed with Dave Bodnar’s find of the little RF LED variable voltage controller so I purchased a few of them to see if they would work with this track cleaner. Bottom line - it worked and for only $7.00 too. It allowed me to remotely turn on the cleaner and to vary the speed.

One thing I noticed during testing is that the controller got a little warmer than I cared for. So, since I had already installed an old Big Hauler weight, I decided to mount the LED controller to it. After a few minutes of run time the controller stayed relatively cool.

An additional comment: The range is very limited indoors so I hope when I take it outside that will improve.

Below are a couple of photos of my installation.

With this new toy, I plan to eliminate my fancy leaf blower and my sanding pole. Life is getting easier.

Doc Watson

I have a older broom car that I bought a the train show a number of years ago. I built the car to carry it and it does a good job on Pine Needles and small Leaves, but does not do the BIG wet Maple leaves. And I don’t think the Blower shown above would either, but it does do a number on all those dry leaves and needles. Good show! I’m sure we all have our favorite way of removing the junk from our trackage and turnouts. And remember to check the frogs and guard rails as well. Hhad the Tank Malet on the ground more than once dur to that little stone!

Remember have fun. Paul

Given the choice, I prefer a non-abrasive brush for “clearing” the tracks, instead of hitting it with sandpaper all the time.

Also, the brush does a better job of getting into flangeways, which the flat sheet of sandpaper cannot do. Conversely, if I had brass track that needed oxide removed, I would consider the “flapper” although I’m a little concerned if I would be sanding down the tops of switch machines too. I’d probably go back to the lgb track cleaner, which was expensive but very controllable.

Greg

That’s why I carry and old paint brush with me when I clear my tracks of debris. I use the brush to clean out the switches.

Don Watson said:

After reading the various reviews and comments regarding the Track Cleaner sold by Reindeer Pass I just had to get one and try it out. I had an old Delton gondola so I did a little careful cutting and mounted the unit to the front of the floor. I purchased the unit with the additional wiring for switch and charging jack. I decided to use a 14v, 3000 mAh battery for initial testing.

Since the weather is too cold and I have my layout mothballed for the Winter, I could only run a test on an old, very dirty piece of track in the shop. Bottom line, I’m very impressed so far.

Of course, I had to take the project one step further - I added a speed controller because I didn’t want to have the sander sit in one spot until I got the thing rolling.

I was impressed with Dave Bodnar’s find of the little RF LED variable voltage controller so I purchased a few of them to see if they would work with this track cleaner. Bottom line - it worked and for only $7.00 too. It allowed me to remotely turn on the cleaner and to vary the speed.

One thing I noticed during testing is that the controller got a little warmer than I cared for. So, since I had already installed an old Big Hauler weight, I decided to mount the LED controller to it. After a few minutes of run time the controller stayed relatively cool.

An additional comment: The range is very limited indoors so I hope when I take it outside that will improve.

Below are a couple of photos of my installation.

With this new toy, I plan to eliminate my fancy leaf blower and my sanding pole. Life is getting easier.

Doc Watson

COOL!

edit: cause it’s all the rage these days!