Large Scale Central

Simple Outside or Ride On Ops

SOOOOO!

Saw some pictures, today. Mostly of the Friday setup, but they are coming.

Its Thursday. Around here middle of the week. Everything is put away. Private owned rolling stock is locked away in barns. I have access to the Ridge Live Steamers club owned cars, engines and my own rail bus and riding car. Of the rolling stock, access to about 50 cars, some ride on, some passenger coaches. All in one four track building. In no specific order.

Spent all morning digging out two box cars, two flat cars with one of them a bulkhead flat and two gondolas. What I was looking for were easily distinguished cars, but with a matching alternate. Like the flat car and the bulkhead flat. The box cars are different roads and colors and so are the gondolas.

There are 6 Wabash gondolas, all black with white lettering, just numbers to distinguish them apart and they were just shoved back in to the storage track.

So a little one powered truck rail bus, has to have a riding car to operate, so what can it haul? On the flat of the yard and car barn, 5 or 6 cars, shoving in and out of the car barn tracks. But on the layout, with the terrain, curves and elevation of maybe 3o to 40 feet, not sure. What happens, when overloaded? Does it slip, burn up (don’t want that happen’in) or just stop. Found out, it has a 30 amp breakers that automatically resets. Another question answered.

In the afternoon, I hauled a gondola from “Pine Level” (follow along on the track plan off the Ridge Live Steamers website, if you wish) over “Hays Hill” (not on the map, but a through track in the northeast corner going from the house to “Can Yard”) to “Can Yard”. In my mind that is where another train would bring the cars, to be hauled up to Baxter Jct. Anyway climb the hill over “Summit” and take the route out of “Baxter Jct.” to the sidings and switch backs.

Hauled the gondola up over the top and down to the mine. Ran back to “G” Barn and grabbed the box car and bulkhead flat. Hauled them to “Can Yard” and then up to “Baxter” through “Baxter Jct.” Ran around the cars at the passenger station and put the bulkhead flat on the “Team Track” and shoved the box car to the “Freight House”.

Tripped the breaker with the two cars, riding car and rail bus going to fast climbing the hill. Slowed down and just eased along, towing everything back and no problems.

The 6 Wabash gondolas, could be hauled to “Can Yard” by another train and then the rail bus, small switcher or box cab could haul them two up the hill at a time to the mine at “Baxter”, bring up the next two and bring down two. Do that a couple of times and everything gets cycled through and the big engine can haul it away or the next Way Freight can grab them as it rolls through.

Simple Ops, like cars for like cars. Haul them out, bring them back.

Sounds like you had a good time keeping yourself out of trouble (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Looks like " Margeritaville" has been put on the back burner…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ric,

Sounds like you had a great time doing some switching and operations. You are also probably finding that you can overload your railbus very easily. I have two Pacific Electric Baldwin freight motors and each engine averages about 20 to 25 amps when pulling 3 cars. Just one engine on the train. When I MU a second engine, the load drops to about 15 amps. You probably noticed that you have to anticipate grades both ascending and descending, way ahead of when you reach them. Let the sheer weight of your train help with momentum to get up the grade. It is more like running a prototype train than our large scale garden stuff. You also probably noticed that your amp meter showed a quick jump in the load when you’re starting out, but quickly starts to drop again as the momentum of your train kicks in.

It’s a lot of work along with the fun. :slight_smile: Glad to hear that you are enjoying another new aspect of the model railroading hobby.

Jon,

Yep a good day.

Ken,

Taking a vacation from this life around the end of the month for the Super Bowl. Headed back up to Low Key and sunsets.

Gary,

Don’t have an amp meter, but can certainly feel the load. I guess an amp meter might be something to think about. Still working on capacity and longevity. Amazed as to how long the batteries last. Ran hard, at times, off and on for 3 days, and put it on the chargers last night and batteries still around 75%. As you said, totally different world the smaller scales. The technology you see in this size stuff is amazing.

Ric;

I can see a nice Gasoline powered centre cab, or end cab switcher in your future…!!! Just like the real pikes; they upgraded as the need increased. Rail buses are neat, but have their limits when actually operating a railroad, of any size, beyond a backyard loop, unless they are used for the purpose they were built.

It is wonderful to hear of your enjoyment of the “Larger” Scale (LrS). Thank you for sharing.

Fred Mills

Ric Golding said:

Jon,

Yep a good day.

Ken,

Taking a vacation from this life around the end of the month for the Super Bowl. Headed back up to Low Key and sunsets.

Gary,

Don’t have an amp meter, but can certainly feel the load. I guess an amp meter might be something to think about. Still working on capacity and longevity. Amazed as to how long the batteries last. Ran hard, at times, off and on for 3 days, and put it on the chargers last night and batteries still around 75%. As you said, totally different world the smaller scales. The technology you see in this size stuff is amazing.

An amp meter would be a great addition because it removes the “anxiety” of worrying about the batteries and the electronics. Keeps you more focused on the actual running of your engine. They are very easy to install. You can also get “combination” meters that have BOTH amps and an hour meter. All digital readout and very accurate AND very small in size. One thing you will find in using an amp meter is that as the batteries start to go DOWN, the amps will increase. The capacity of your batteries seem pretty good. With my Baldwin electrics, I can run for about 6 hours (6 adults and 4 cars, BOTH engines, on all terrain. OR 4 adults and 3 cars with a single engine). Then put them on the chargers and have 75% remaining. My chargers of choice are Optima 1200 Digital chargers. Pricey, but well worth the money. I can “maintain” three batteries at the same time. The batteries are also Optima…blue top 31M Deep Cycle…AGM technology, 75 Ah

Ric said: “Ride On”

Hey Fred,

You know I always like the buses and box cabs. Space for hauling the equipment is a concern and Jan likes the ease of just turning on the switch. Both clubs we are involved in have the big gas powered Honda hydraulic drives under the cowls and as a member we can use almost anytime.

You know I really like the East Broad Top’s M-1 and the Illinois Terminal’s 206 “Dinky”. They both did some switching and pulling light loads, probably more the M-1, than the 206, but the IT had lots of small Interurban running all over Illinois.

Gary,

Thanks for the info. Half the fun is learning the capacities and trying to emulate the prototypes. I’ll keep your ideas in mind as we get further along in this stuff.

Great fun!

I get the feeling your bus is going to start looking like your little Hartland Rail Truck hauling all this stuff around…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

OPs again this weekend at Ridge Live Steamers. Looking at prior year photos, after this is when the website is updated with new photos.

Saturday morning update - Found out we are going to protect half of the passenger schedule with the rail bus, should be fun.

So going to try to copy the Passenger schedule of two trains-

Train 57 Train 24

DOWN UP

ARR LV Station ARR LV

0:00 RIDGEVILLE 0:50 0:00

0:02 GABBY STATION 0:49

0:03 0:06 TILEY 0:44 0:48

0:10 0:15 BOWEN BRANCH 0:35 0:40

0:16 SUMMIT 0:34

0:19 0:23 CAN YARD 0:28 0:32

0:26 0:31 BISSETT YARD 0:20 0:25

0:35 0:40 YEEHAW STATION 0:11 0:16

0:41 0:47 FOSTER BOND STATION 0:03 0:09

0:50 0:00 ELSTON YARD 0:00

**Train 57 will wait in Long Barrel until Train 24 passes.

Please excuse the roughness of the example.

At the beginning of each hour the trains exchange position and direction, so 24 becomes 57 and visa versa.

In the course of the day’s run we were 57 twice and 24 3 times.

Basically, the railroad is a long single track with a number of passing sidings and a reverse loop at each end.

At both Bowman Branch and Foster Bond, the passenger train pulls off the main and releases the signal protection.

All of this was quite fun and may give someone an idea for passenger time / train order ops.

All freights have to stay out of the way of the passenger trains. So you get to your switching location,

check your cell phone for time and stay clear of main, if it is near the time the passenger trains are coming through.

Tomorrow, we do it again. Lots of Ops enthusiasts of all scales participate. Had a live steamer

running through, testing today, and we all gave right of way to him.

Big time rain came through last night and this morning. Ops started a little late with a few diehards. No Passenger schedule today and way freights were operated until Noon. Basically, take a string of 5 cars for different locations and make yourself around the railroad. Deliver what you drag out and bring back the rolling stock represented by the first card from every box.

After lunch we began the pick up and sorting to get right cars in the right places. Big job and lots of fun sorting and hauling to the right location. Completed about 4 pm. Great day in the south.

About ten days ago, we had the first of a couple of El Nino storms come through. Had a small landslide of boulders and dirt. About ten yards worth. Photo page 1 and photo last page.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/b0b92027201/cc3b22db-3712-4e62-95b9-8849ea762d59.pdf

Gary

Holy Cow! Gary, that’s quite a publication! Very nice, thanks for sharing. The whole club thing looks more like a business than a hobby.

Ric Golding said:

Holy Cow! Gary, that’s quite a publication! Very nice, thanks for sharing. The whole club thing looks more like a business than a hobby.

I believe quite a few of the larger clubs in the U.S. now are run more like a business than a hobby. Los Angeles Live Steamers has been in its original spot since 1956. I believe Golden Gate Live Steamers is celebrating their 80th anniversary this year. The City of Los Angeles gave us this piece of property strictly for a “ride-on” train facility. We have expanded probably four-fold since then. Costs for rail/ties, steel for bridges, signal systems, etc. are increasing all the time. About twenty years ago, the club applied for an exemption as a “Museum”, from the IRS. So now folks can donate to the club and get a tax write-off. Liability insurance is our #1 issue. Today’s society is litigious to the point that most clubs have had to go way overboard to protect the “idiots” from themselves. LALS was shutdown for almost two years about ten years ago when some woman sued the club for a minor scratch she received when she turned around to tend to one of her out-of-control brats. Her motion to do this completely derailed half a train of people. Naturally the husband calls 911 AND the local news people. It was all over local television news by that evening. The woman who caused the derailment was shall we say “a little overweight” to be riding. At that time, the club could not discriminate because of weight issues. Since then, with our new insurance company guidelines, this can now be posted at the public station with a weight restriction, height restriction and age restriction. Children are no longer allowed to sit in parents laps. That’s why it is more like a business than a hobby. Sad, but that’s the society we live in now.