Large Scale Central

MIK 2016 Build Challenge - Matt

The crew was about to cut wood…‘No!’ said the top guy, “We will be penalized if we start early.” Boy that logic does not compute the crew thought. but when we build off of napkins, there is no logic - sometimes

This year will be a cabin in the woods. This will be smaller than the 800 sq ft requirement, but as the instructions stated…“If you build it smaller then 800 SqFt. ALL THE ROOF MUST BE COVERED WITH THE PANELS. You may use the extra panels as you see fit.” so the roof WILL be covered and the extras will be used as I see fit (hopefully fitting very well).

I like it, Matt. Based on the detail in the lower right, I assume it will be a log cabin?

Lets see every good log cabin needs an out house, there’s a couple panels, a smoker, there’s a couple panel, a hog pen, some more panels, a fence, a few more. I think you can do it.

@Dan, yes, an attempt at a log cabin I’ve got a lot of cutting to do but it all can be done in a day.

@Devon, yes those are all options but the primary objective is the main building then I’ll see how much I have left of the panels it seems some of these builds could be combined for a big build (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The challenge is to build something under 800 sq of roofing. It didn’t say that “something” couldn’t be an entire diorama. After all “the code is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules.”

I paid a visit to the workshop to see what the crew has done. This is what I found. They seemed to have gotten all the supplies and tools out and ready, but no workers to be found.

Searching the town, they were found at the tavern drowning their sorrows because they didn’t win the lottery (even though they were told that they had something like a 99.999997% chance of NOT winning - I think they didn’t hear the word ‘not’).

So as you all can see, I’ve got nothing done so far

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Once the crew got over the misunderstanding, they got to work and finished the stripping, cutting, and shaping and the framework done.

Now to frame out the doors, windows, make the doors and windows, and get some rafters up there to get the panels put up. Oh, also forgot about the porch and overhang by the side door. Do you think I should stain this? Or just let it age naturally (I used those fence pickets)?

That was fun! Like making my own Lincoln Logs (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Looking good… I can’t tell if its cedar, Red wood or pine? If pine, stain and seal if it’s to be left out. If cedar, your call, as it will age to a grey.

If you want to waterproof it, you can paint the entire exterior with TightBond III glue. Waterproofing was never easer, it also ages to a light brown color.

Looks really good Matt…me, I would stain and weather it some, but that’s just me.

It looks like pressure treated wood. I like how you notched the ends, it looks like they fit really tightly.

Your build looks rugged and reminds me a bit of one from last year, the bear trap.

Got the rafters and roof on, along with the porch. Coming along good. Just need to build the doors, chimney, overhang over the side door, then the panels can go on, and then whatever details (and additions if I need to use up more panels - which isn’t looking like I’ll need to).

I think I’m going to just leave it untreated. Let it weather naturally.

That looks good, Matt.

Well I finally decided to use an old oil based stain to seal the wood and to give it a darker color.

I didn’t stain the top because I thought the glue/silicon caulk would stick to the wood better (thinking the oil would create a barrier and prevent the glue to hold).

Now I can work on the details:

Still have to put the panels on. Gee, that is what this build challenge is all about…now why am I doing it last?! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

That chimney is going to look good when it is complete. I assume you used the tub and tile caulk I see there in the background to apply the stones? The Adirondack chairs look good too.

You are not alone in applying the corrugated panels last. That has been my plan all along.

i am all for that chimney perfect. and the Adirondack chair are too cool for school

@Dan, that’s right. I used the tub and tile caulk. I should have painted it gray first since the caulk dries clear and any spots that were not covered wouldn’t show up. I’ll just have to go back and fill-in where the stones didn’t completely cover the wood.

The washer/dryer platform for pics is most appropriate and awaiting the roof application!

Mik would approve !

Yikes!!! Time is going by fast. I was done about a week ago, and then I was seeing the details of others and started to work out more details on my build. I also was working on the panels. They just seemed too shinny for a backwoods cabin. I didn’t want to darken them or blacken them. So I settled on a more weathered look…

I should be done by tomorrow. Then again, the more one thinks about a build, the more one finds areas to fill in with details. I’m done. This came out to be more than I expected or was planning on doing anyway.

Matt your cabin looks great. You are right these guys are just full of good ides and you could just go on detailing forever. Sooner or later you just have to draw a “it’s good enough line” for yourself. I like all the details I’ve seen in your photos, really looking forward to seeing them all assembled and what that creates.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

You are right these guys are just full of good ides and you could just go on detailing forever. Sooner or later you just have to draw a “it’s good enough line” for yourself.

Yep!