Large Scale Central

GWIRE Cab

I have an a Gwire cab that I’m using with my Bachmann Connie, using a gwire reciever and a qsi board. I want to get my bachmann shay up and going but everywhere I look the gwire reciever is out of stock. What other decoders/recievers will work with the GWIRE cab. Thanks.

Hi Peter, QSI has had this issue since early in 2015. Linx who makes the radio board replaced it with a new version. For some reason QSI has not adapted to the new board. So there is no immediate solution. We used the same radio called the HP version and adopted to the newer NT version immediately. I have some HP boards left. However, QSI would have to rework our board to talk to your Cab. That might be to costly.

Unfortunately, unless you can find one new or used you might have to consider moving to another system.

Don

I would contact QSI solutions to get the current availability. I understand that the defective Linx chips have now been replaced.

The “new” Linx receiver chips were defective, drew a lot of current and basically burned up (overheated).

QSI HAS adapted to the new board quite some time ago, just need ones that work from the manufacturer, Linx.

I encourage you to call QSI solutions, email them, or ask the question on their Yahoo group.

Greg

Alas, good luck getting an answer on the QSI users’ group on the availability of the G-wire receivers. We’ve been asking fairly regularly there, and have gotten no response from QSI. I wouldn’t hold my breath in that regard. NCE has retired the G-wire cab from their line-up.

Fortunately, there are alternatives. First, the G-wire cab will work with Airwire’s receivers, so you can use the G3/Phoenix combination in the Shay. If I recall, there are some programming oddities with the G-wire/Airwire receiver, though. I’d have to go back and find my notes from quite a number of years ago to see what they were.

However, you’re not limited to that. Because the G-wire cab only goes up to Airwire channel 8, you’re a touch limited, but it’s not insurmountable. You can use Airwire’s “Convertr,” which is a receiver only, and use that to drive any generic DCC decoder you wish to use. (QSI, Zimo, etc.) The Convertr is good for up to 2.5 amps, which is marginal for 2-motor large scale locos. You can combine that with the Tam Valley Depot booster, though, which gives you 3 amps continuous, and 5 amps peak capacity.

If you were to buy one of Airwire’s newer controllers that goes up to Airwire channel 16, then you can use the Tam Valley Depot DRS-1 “Hi-Power” receiver, which is their wireless receiver combined with their booster all on one board. I’ve got this receiver with a QSI Titan in an NW-2 I did for my dad, and (once it arrives in the mail) I’ll have another one paired with a Soundtraxx Econami in my B’mann K-27. The Tam Valley Depot receiver is limited to Airwire channel 16, so you need a transmitter that can work on that frequency. (T-9000, T-5000, or their should-be-out-shortly T-1300)

Later,

K

FWIW: I sourced the availability of the original OEM Linx chip used of the G-Wire RX overseas a while back, it was available from multiple sources, as I recall average cost was under $20.00, which is NO bargain. Then again its no longer produced by Linx.

Anywho, for those that are electron savvy it may represent a challenge to DIY… I decide to wait it out!

Michael

I may end up going the airwire/phoenix route, and eventually look into getting one of their controllers since the Gwire cab is retired, and theres more support from other sources for the airwire stuff.

I’ll buy your old GWire cab if you do, I have one already, I keep the GWire setup here with my QSI stuff… I do believe I also have one or two GWire receivers, have to go look.

Greg

Ill keep that in mind, but for know I’m going to hold on to it with the hopes of new receivers in the future, I do like all features that qsi has in their decoders.

Next time I talk to Josh, I’ll see if I can ferret out one for you.

Greg

I see that Digitrains in the UK list the Gwire receiver as in stock (shipping could be a killer, though).

Alternatively, you could ask Neil Stanton if he will make you a radio decoder of your choice.

The easiest solution is still the G3 receiver.

Peter, I met Josh from QI Solutions this weekend and he showed me Gwire NT radio chip. I have a meeting with him next week to talk about delivery and support. I hope to offer his system again.

Stayed tuned.

Don

I likewise talked to Josh, he is doing final testing and hopes to have them ready by the end of the month.

Remember that this happened because the chip manufacturer quit production on them, came out with a new chip, which was defective, and finally (I understand) fixed the new chip.

Small companies cannot make their own chips, too costly.

Greg

Hi Greg, we all have been at a loss from lack of product this past year. I do not know the entire story about the chip but we have been using the NT since it came out with no issues. We had the HP chip at the same time QSI Gwire had it. Good news he is getting the boards done. Interesting he is not using the invisible “microSplatch” chip antenna w/SMA connector rather using the traditional 3" wire antenna.

I look forward to doing QSI with Gwire installs again.

Don

Well shoot, I may just wait then as the qsi/gwire would be my preferred way to go. Thanks for looking into it for me.

I to talked to Josh and told me also end of Feb. what i did see on the prototype that bothered me was only a 8 position rotary switch for frequency selector and you would have to be able to get to it to change frequency like the old airwire G2.

have fun Dick

I think the first thing is to get the new chip solid and going. Adding new features would delay this product, which is what all the (legitimate) grousing is about.

After all the negatives, if I was Josh, the LAST thing I would do is anything to delay delivery.

Also, I would again remind people this is a NEW chip, and the first version of it failed, so I’d be conservative in it’s rollout in my product, since QSI can do nothing to change the operation of the chip.

Greg

All i’m saying Greg is i had this in my hand and did not like the 8 position rotary switch for frequency selector.

Isn’t that what the original had?

I don’t think you can set the G-wire receiver up for CV-controllable frequency selection as you can on the Convertr and G3. The G-wire taps into the QSI board internally, so I don’t think there’s a way to address it specifically via CVs to change the frequency as exists on the Convertr and G3. The rotary switch may be the only way to do business with that configuration.

It is a bugger if you run in environments where you change the frequency frequently; you’ve got to make sure the dial is somewhere where it’s easily reached. It’s much easier on steam locos with removable tender shells or tender loads, but on diesels, not quite so easy. Maybe mount it behind a cab door or if there’s an open roof vent or something. On the other hand, the Tam Valley Depot receiver is limited to one channel, so changing the frequency isn’t even an option there.

Later,

K

Kevin you may be right. the new drop-in is CV also. what i did not like was only 8 frequency’s the first G3 with a rotary was 16 and i was able to make

a remote for both the g3 and g2. i don’t know if i can do this with the g-wire.

dick