Large Scale Central

Christmas Wood. . .

. . . working projects that is. So I made this insulator light for the clubs gift exchange. Chuck Inlow ended up with it. It is a telephone insulator drilled and plumbing fixtures for the pipe work and fitted with a bulb.

and I made this coat rack for my niece

That bottom picture shows the inlay work and the deep rich color and grain of the wood which is toasted maple.

Now if your a wood working you have to add two things to your list of things to work with. One is toasted maple, if you can find it. The wood is the same wood as maple syrup is made from. In its unaltered state it is the same light color of regular maple. But they take this stuff to a kiln and burn it, well caramelize it actually. It burns the sap and turns it the color of maple syrup. This is throughout the wood not just on the surface so sanding, routing, and carving don’t effect it. Best part is when you work with it the shop smells like pancakes. In the birds eye form like above is simply one of the most beautiful woods you will work with in my opinion.

The other thing is boiled linseed oil. The above has no stain or any other finish other than linseed oil and wax. Now it is a slow process if done right and it is a very old way to do things but I love the look. It just has a deep rich look and if done right looks great. Now this one isn’t done right because I had to hurry to get it done. The right way (I got this from an antique furniture restorer and seems to be backed up online) is a process remembered by ones. You apply linseed oil pretty liberally once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year after that. On the first day you really don’t do it for a whole day but I do it 5-6 times every hour or two. You apply the linseed oil and wet sand with progressively finer grits. I start with 150, 220, 320, then 400 for every other sanding. When done sanding each application wipe off and let dry. Then I just apply the oil liberally every day for the rest of that week and let it dry. Apply new oil over the old stuff. When you go to the once a week mode for three weeks (rest of the month) I do a light sanding with 400 grit between coats. The idea is this is not a built up finish it is allowing the oil to soak deep into the wood. When the month is up you will then use furniture wax and apply it with a very fine steel wool. Apply it in a circular motion (wax on, wax off Danielson). Then buff off with a clean soft rag. I will do this as many times as necessary to polish the wood. Look down the face at an angle in light and you will see uneven areas keep working them out. Finally take cotton face cleansing pads and buff the heck out of it until they come back virtually clean. Then once a month for a year you repeat this process of adding a coat of oil letting sit til dry and then apply wax with steel wool and taking it off with a soft rag then buffing with cotton. After a year the wood will damn near be waterproof and will shine like a new penny.

The above has six coats of linseed oil (sanded 3 times with 150,320, 400 and three just applied and allowed to dry) and four coats of wax. It has dull spots and is not as rich as it can be. I did a piece of black walnut for the full regimen and it came out awesome. But really the one month routine is usually enough for a great finish that is deep and natural looking.

Lucky Chuck!

Nice work, Devon.

Well Done… I really like the insulator lamp. ? How did you attach the insulator to the pipe?

Beautiful work…

Now about your writing…

" sand with progressively courser grits. I start with 150, 220, 320,"

Those are progressively Finer grits in my book…

quick edit!

Him again…

I have a “Christmas Wood” story to share if I may? Don’t care doing it anyway! The religion part is breaking the rules but it is Christmas and it was for mom!

My mother is a retired Methodist minister(yes, I’m the middle child and first born son which explains a lot). She now resides in a nursing home but continues with services there. She loves nature(ex Girl Scout and leader),the town she was raised in and simple things in life. So I made her this 3 yrs ago. When I presented it to her on Christmas Eve for services it made her cry which makes up for all the times she made me cry after she beat my ass as a kid!

Here’s the lamp I made for my sister-in-law. Its for above her vanity in the bathroom.

So you use a diamond whole saw and lots of water and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the dome. The pipe is 1/2 inch and you bush that down to 1/8. then the lamp making stuff that is the threaded tube is 1/8 pipe. You thread that into the bushing and then use the lamp socket on the inside and screw it tight pinching the insulator between the lamp socket and the busing. Wiring is the toughest part really trying to get it threaded through and get everything tight.

John Caughey said:

Beautiful work…

Now about your writing…

" sand with progressively courser grits. I start with 150, 220, 320,"

Those are progressively Finer grits in my book…

quick edit!

Him again…

Thanks for catching that John. I edited the original post.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David,

Write—Delete— write this instead. No one should take offense of a story about a son’s gift to his mother. That is a very pretty piece of wood and very nice lectern. Well done.

I have a coffee table in the living room my youngest boy made from slab wood. Not exactly sure what kind of wood it is, but is sure is pretty.

And a kitchen floor in random widths made with tiger stripe maple in it’s natural finish that he also made. unfortunately, that one got ruined when we had an ice storm and the roof leaked and it started to warp. It was replaced with a bird’s eye maple floor. The tiger stripe maple is stored out in the shed, I just haven’t decided what to do with it yet.

The place he used to work is called Hearne Hardwoods and they deal in exotic woods. There was a guy there last week from VA picking up a bunch of old slabs. I was there getting more Spanish Cedar that I use for ties.

http://hearnehardwoods.com/

I got lucky and cut down a Black Walnut at my bosses house and had it milled. Some of the pieces are 2" thick for doing tables or something. Most is 5/4 It has been drying for a little over a year. Next summer I will start playing with the thinner stuff. Its worse than waiting for Christmas day to open presents. I kept a bunch of limbs and want to split them in half and make a chair and foot stool for my man cave.

My problem is I love wood. Probably more than just about anything else I just love wood. Not just working with it but looking at it. The unique colors and grain patterns captivate me. And seeing a piece of wood come to life by shaping it and sanding it and then finishing it. I get real satisfaction from it.

Devon Sinsley said:

My problem is I love wood. Probably more than just about anything else I just love wood. Not just working with it but looking at it. The unique colors and grain patterns captivate me. And seeing a piece of wood come to life by shaping it and sanding it and then finishing it. I get real satisfaction from it.

You are announcing this to a group of mostly men?

I’ll let it ride cause it’s Christmas!

BTW nice projects and I’m jealous of the pile of black walnut. I forgot you had that!

Well,

I guess I man enough to admit and scream to the world “I love wood”. . .oh wait. . .er. . . um. . .oh no. . .oh my that sounds bad. . . same passion different kind of wood. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Merry Christmas Rooster

Devon, I like working in wood too, but not to the level of those of you. I did make a bench, and have made cabinets and other things, but I don’t have a good woodworking shop. Most of my woodworking is in scale, and I enjoy working with wood so much more then working with (gulp) plastic. Wood is organic, natural, while plastic is artificial and just doesn’t have the feel of wood.

I would like to have the tools, time, skill, and know how to make some of the wonderful things I have seen made from wood.

David Maynard said:

Wood is organic, natural, while plastic is artificial and just doesn’t have the feel of wood.

I agree, the single most disappointing part of my mogal build is the plastic cab. I have vowed never again to make a plastic cab to simulate a wood one. To me the single biggest difference is paint sits on plastic where wood absorbs it. It doesn’t look the same. Wood is as you said organic an you just can’t simulate it in my opinion.

David Maynard said:

Devon, I like working in wood too, but not to the level of those of you. I did make a bench, and have made cabinets and other things, but I don’t have a good woodworking shop. Most of my woodworking is in scale, and I enjoy working with wood so much more then working with (gulp) plastic. Wood is organic, natural, while plastic is artificial and just doesn’t have the feel of wood.

Wood dust smells great and unless you breathe in a bunch, it won’t really bother you. Plastic dust on the other hand has no smell and the dust can be deadly. I work with both on my job - I much prefer wood, but because our products live outdoors, plastics are becoming much more common.

Rooster - That’s really nice and a perfectly acceptable post in my opinion.

Devon - I love your insulator and pipe lamps, and that maple sure is nice.

Devon and John,

BTW it’s coarser grits not courser . Merry Christmas my friends! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

Devon and John,

BTW it’s coarser grits not courser . Merry Christmas my friends! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Joe do you know what (") mean? Yes I copied and pasted, it wasn’t my job to correct the lad’s spelling, that seems to be your calling.

Merry Christmas, Mr. perfect.

Daktah John said:

David Maynard said:

Wood dust smells great and unless you breathe in a bunch, it won’t really bother you. Plastic dust on the other hand has no smell and the dust can be deadly. I work with both on my job - I much prefer wood, but because our products live outdoors, plastics are becoming much more common.

Yes. I was surprised at how fast treated ceder just went away. I thought that those (scale) boards would have lasted longer then they did. And the some other (scale) ceder boards out there in my yard have lasted a long time with no deterioration at all. So yea, plastic is the material of choice on the ground, or close to the ground and for sub-roofs. But wood is still my choice for most of the rest of the building. My sawmill was built in 04, and rebuilt this year, and I didn’t have ceder in my stash in 04, I used pine.

John Caughey said:

Joe Zullo said:

Devon and John,

Joe do you know what (") mean? Yes I copied and pasted, it wasn’t my job to correct the lad’s spelling, that seems to be your calling.

Merry Christmas, Mr. perfect.

Word usage is my sideline. I’m surprised YOU missed it, and a Merry Christmas to you too. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)