Large Scale Central

Moving JMRI w/Data to a new computer

I recently retired the XP computer where JMRI was installed and always run from. I wanted to bring the program and data over to Windows 10 so I would not need to boot the old XP machine to run trains. In my case this isn’t really two machines, but two hard disks in one machine. Windows 10 boots by default or Windows XP can be booted by bringing up a boot menu and choosing the other hard disk. The entire XP machine is available as a drive from the Win 10 machine. This is similar to having two machines on a home network with the root (C:) shared.

Fortunately I saved the install file from when I first installed JMRI. This allowed me to install the identical version on Windows 10 eliminating any potential data compatibility issues. The install went without a hitch and JMRI seems to run fine on Windows 10. After starting JMRI and looking at the File Locations, I canceled the Preferences window that opens with a new install and quit JMRI.

Next I went to the folder above the one listed under User File Locations in Preferences and renamed the folder JMRI to something like DEFAULT.JMRI.

I then copied the entire JMRI folder found on the XP drive to the Windows 10 user folder as noted above in File Locations.

Since some of the files copied contain the old User File locations and other paths, they need to be modified. To get the exact paths I went back to DEFAULT.JMRI and opened PanelProConfig2.xml using notepad (.XML files are clear text files). Simultaneously I opened PanelProConfig2.xml in the JMRI folder and replaced all of the File Location paths in the second file with those from the first. There was one other file that had File Locations; DecoderProConfig3.xml which I also updated with the new file locations.

Once this was done the next time I opened JMRI Operations all of my trains, cars and locations were exactly as I left them in XP

Man, you lost me in the 2nd paragraph…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Unfortunately, I lost my whole hard drive on XP, so I had to enter the whole dang thing again on the new one, one typed letter at a time. Then again, the new layout is a bit different then the old one and since it was being rebuilt, I had to change some things around in JMRI anyway. Still needs more changes, but I got all winter.

It’s good to know that there are some computer guru’s out there who know all this stuff.

Ken Brunt said:

Man, you lost me in the 2nd paragraph…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Unfortunately, I lost my whole hard drive on XP, so I had to enter the whole dang thing again on the new one, one typed letter at a time. Then again, the new layout is a bit different then the old one and since it was being rebuilt, I had to change some things around in JMRI anyway. Still needs more changes, but I got all winter.

It’s good to know that there are some computer guru’s out there who know all this stuff.

My eyes glazed over reading the topic title. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)Well, I posted this figuring Bob and Greg would probably be the only ones who understood any of it, but it’s also for me to reference in a couple years when I want to move it again.

I haven’t done it yet and I probably should so is there a way you can save all that data, (roster, trains, location’s etc) on a separate device like a CD or something?

Short answer; yes. Here’s how…

Start Panel Pro.

Go to Edit / Preferences

Click on File Locations

Look at User File Locations - This is the folder that holds all of the data files. Note that it usually is the user folder for the user that installed JMRI. You could copy the entire folder to a CD or an external USB storage device.

If your install never changes, then you could just copy it back to restore the data. In my case the user name on the PC changed when I installed W7 (upgraded to W10) and the user folder structure changed between XP and 7/8/10 requiring me to edit some of the data files when I moved them from XP to W10 so JMRI could find it’s data.

The next thing I want to try is to put the data in a shared location accessible by my main PC and the one in the train room, then point multiple installs of JMRI to the same data. This should work so long as you only run the JMRI program from one location at a time.

Thank you Jon. I read some of that in the Instructions, but was a tad reluctant to try it, not knowing what I was doing. I have a thumb drive I can stick it on. I’m on Win 7 now and if and/or when I ever decide to go to 10 that’ll be a big help.

I’m still tweaking the JMRI program to get to where I had it originally. The ol’ brain don’t function like it used to…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Doesn’t hurt to back it up. Win 7 and Win 10 should have the same directory structure unless you decide to change the log-in name. Are you thinking about a new computer? You can upgrade most Win 7 computers to 10 for free and no programs or data are lost. I’ve upgraded 3 at home and 5 or so at work. So far mostly good.

Daktah John said:

Are you thinking about a new computer? You can upgrade most Win 7 computers to 10 for free and no programs or data are lost. I’ve upgraded 3 at home and 5 or so at work. So far mostly good.

Not really, but s**t happens. I’d still be on XP if I had anything to do with it, The computer had other ideas…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I got the car roster backed-up, that was the biggest PITA to do over, trains and routes I ain’t worried about. Locations I still need to work on, and change some stuff around. But thanks for your patience and explaining it. Big help!

I’m sorry to say that I understood John completely, and the only glazing here was on a jelly donut.

Greg

I just took this to the next level. JMRI is installed on my desktop computer in the living room, but I would like to be able to access it from the computer in the train room as well. I could do this with remote control software, but I’d rather just run the program on the second PC and share the data. I now have this working with the caveat that only one copy of JMRI can access the database at a time.

Step 1 - Share the folder where JMRI user data is kept (see Edit/*Preferences/*File Locations for folder location)

Step 2 - On the second PC Map a network drive to the share created in step 1 - I used the letter J: so it was easy to remember.

Step 3 - Install identical version of JMRI on the second PC.

Step 4 - On the second PC. Run JMRI and go to Edit/*Preferences/*File Locations and change the location of User Files to the drive you mapped in step 2. NOTE if the JMRI data is in the root of the mapped drive be sure to correct the path to have a single backslash, JMRI wants to list J:\ as J:\ which will fail.

Step 5 - Run JMRI on the second PC and see that all of your Location, Car, Route etc. data is there.

Note that on the second PC, JMRI will still use the PanelProConfig2.xml file it created in the user folder of the second PC. There is no need to modify it.

WARNING: DO NOT attempt to run JMRI on both computers at the same time. This software was not designed to use a shared database file so if you run it on both computers at the same time you will very likely corrupt the data leaving both copies unusable.

PS: All of this assumes that you have your PCs connected to a home network

Oh my, netwerking for model trains. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)That would make my head hoit. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Well Jon, I’m still way down here , where all the Whale crap is…:wink:

Just finally started using the roster from JMRI, and I can attest that you just copy the user files (shown under preferences, file locations) to your network drive, and then use that same screen to point to the new location of the files.

I copied the directory from JMRI downwards, but the file location you “point to” is one level down:

\Greg-pc\d\shared trains\JMRI\My_JMRI_Railroad\

Greg-pc is a network computer that has the files that are shared between the various computers that use them.

You really do not need the files in the “JMRI” folder, other than the folder “My_JMRI_Railroad” but it served to show that this folder was for JMRI among my other shared files at that level.

Greg