Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern extension to Okawville

Below are pictures of the start of construction to extend the EVWR branchline to it’s west end at Okawville…

The first thing on the agenda, was to finish out the retaining wall that went behind the Mainline and siding for Addieville… That wall is the brown stack on the left side…

At the end of the brown wall, there will be an area for water drainage from the hill, to get down to the waterways that run downhill, under the Hilltop Subdivision…

The first bit of excavation was to establish the line for the retaining wall that will be behind the Okawville Mainline, sidings and elevator…

Once the base line was established, then I proceeded to cut out the area for the elevator and sidings, to be filled in with a solid base of ““aglime”” for the roadbed…

Below is a picture of the retaining wall being constructed.

This area is for the drainage off the hill… This area will be covered in ground cover, then topped with rock… The tracks at the base, will be a single track curved trestle that will allow the water to flow thru…

That is pretty much the extent of the work completed by dark, Sunday evening… Actually, a bit more of the base wall was completed, and most of the dugout area was filled in with aglime, but was too dark to take more pictures…

Okawville will have a mainline, a branchline siding, and the elevator there will have 2 sidings… The mainline and branchline sidings will be along the edge without the retaining wall… The elevator and sidings will be behind that, running up to the retaining wall… Entrance to the elevator sidings will be from the end of the line, as it actually is IRL…

Jane Clarke said:

That is pretty much the extent of the work completed by dark, Sunday evening… Actually, a bit more of the base wall was completed, and most of the dugout area was filled in with aglime, but was too dark to take more pictures…

Isn’t it funny, that how a lot of post end this time of year. Looks really good. Humm, will you run out of acreage for expansion or freight shed space to post pictures of it first? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)Keep up the good work.

I see Jinx is supervising…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Randy, I still have a few more feet in which to expand… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Ken, Jinx makes a great supervisor… He’s not pushy at all… Well, unless he hears gunshots, then he pushes to get in the house… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Women’s work!

Jane & Andy, that looks great. This Railroad just seems to keep going on and on. Will add more to Ops. Still waiting to see your Pa. son to make his way out to Nashville Il. :0

I need to borrow that tractor. I’m hanging up my shovel. lol.

Nice job guys! I can’t wait to see it in person. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Jinx Clarke will be getting his own "Freight Shed’ shortly. When he does, we’ll know the real story.

You have a nice big area to work with there. Looking forward to see in finished article

Sweet more drainage for a kayak run. Just me one favor add a few large rocks in the drainage to create some white water.

lookin Good!

Update on the progress:

The following pictures are in sequence as the track will run from the Addiville cut, on the right side of the picture below. Basically, the current end of line is covered by the leaves in the cut…

The below picture shows the drainage break in the retaining wall… The test will come in the next 2 days, as we are expected to get an abundance of rain… Track here will run across a wooden curved trestle, which hopefully, will allow the water to flow without taking out the trestle…

Another shot of where the water will flow…

The wall restarts, and this shot shows where it will start into Okawville… Basically, the elevator sits on the south side of town, the town will actually be the retaining wall… Tracks in the foreground is the Hilltop Subdivision… The boards are across the track, to get the lawnmower in to cut the grass…

The below picture shows where Okawville elevator will be… It will be located on the left side of the picture… Siding tracks will start at the left and run to the right… Mainline and siding will be in the lower portion of the picture, along the grass/aglime line… Base is all aglime, it’s what I use for the roadbed…

The below picture shows the current end of construction… Ran out rocks for the wall… Once we start laying out the track, we’ll know where the end of the retaining wall will actually be…

Started to drizzle a bit, so basically, we’re done for the weekend…

Looks like you got quite a bit done. Should be a good switching project. :wink: I dug the H beam out.

Since the weather is so terrible here, (temp yesterday was 66 for a high), we got some work done on the extension to Okawville…

First on the agenda, was placing the trestle across the waterway, and connecting the tracks from Addieville…

After the trestle, is the mainline running along the wall, to Okawville proper…

Below is a picture on the Okawville Mainline, on the right, and the Okawville siding just to it’s left… The 2 tracks on the far left, are the Elevator loading tracks…

The skid of concrete bricks will make the edging from the roadbed to the grass… Where the skid is currently sitting will be the location of the elevator silo’s… Covered hoppers are loaded just past where the elevator siding tracks split…

The tracks at the bottom of the photo will join as one to the mainline, and extend for a ways to become the switch lead for the elevator…

Ground is too wet and soft to work any more at the time…

Just figured I’d post an update…

Looks good. Amazing h crazy the weather has been this winter.

I gotta get out there

¿ ɹəʇsooɹ said:

I gotta get out there

Ditto!

Andy, you ought to open a Landscape supply business so you can supply your railroad on the cheap! Way to take advantage of the weather.

Plan for the fall! It’s a great trip.

Thanks guys…

Rooster, yes you do… You and Hollywood…

Randy, was 66 Saturday, 67 today… Balmy tomorrow, high of only 51… It’s a rough winter… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

¿ ɹəʇsooɹ said:

I gotta get out there

I’ll pick you up on my way to Bart’s.