Large Scale Central

Porter from Bachmann Industrial

Just finished this summer project. I still need some decals applied.

I started with the chassis from a Bachmann 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul as seen below:

Before

I followed the instructions from a master class for these results:

1 Like

to my unqualified eyes it looks much better now!

The key changes are to the scale and era. The original is a very small model in an unknown scale from the 1920’s. The Porter is 1/20.3 from the 1860’s.

It still represents a small locomotive, but in the new scale it is bigger than the original model.

Ooh, pretty. I like it. I just cant let Tom see it, or the P&CS will just HAVE to have one.

Very nice. Love the cow catcher (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice Job Dave. The whole engine looks great but you really transformed the tender.

I see you are new here and you certainly have skills. We need to see more of your RR!

Thanks Todd,

The tender was a laser cut styrene kit. I scrapped the old tender, keeping only the 3" speaker. The pilot that Dakath John liked, as well as the cab were all kits from the same source released to support the master class build.

Did you scrap the tender, or just toss it into your parts bin?

Nice loco & mod…

David Maynard said:

Did you scrap the tender, or just toss it into your parts bin?

It’s in the bin. You never know when something will come in handy for a bash.

Zactly

Thank you all for your kind words.

Well Dave,

Thats a very pretty loco. since the cow catcher was mentioned and the tender were mention I will note that the cab is stunning. But the devil is in the details and the weathering job is great. Looks like a well used machine.

Has anyone determined what the actual scale of that B’mann locomotive is ? I’ve been told that Bachmann advertises it as 1:20.3 these days, but when it first was produced it was supposedly 1:22.5.

They all run on the same track, so the scale is not that important. Locomotives were built in many sizes and styles in the early days. The size od the Cab is usually the determining factor as to the scale. This model looks great, and there is no telltale single thing that betrays it as not being 1:20.3.

Oh…rather a more simplified, dumbed down answer than I was hoping for…but thanks for the answer…

Nice looking little Mogul there. I recognize a HLW headlight. For the ‘brass’ dome wrapper on my projects, gold decal trim film from Microscale was used: decided to use that instead of masking for paint. What did you use?

Very nice work indeed.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Fred the Indy is based on Bachmanns earlier 1/22 Big Hauler 2-4-2 which is based on a real operational Plantation loco from Hawaii and although the prototype was very small it becomes ridiculous smaller in 1/20, like the cab only being under 5’ high… Most people at the time it was released measured it as closer to 1/22. This was verified by someone who was part of the group that operates the 2-4-2 Hawaiian prototype the 2-6-0 is made from.

PS nice bash Dave

Dave how long did that take start to finish?